Destroying fine furniture: a (static) rocket display project (and I need help)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, gang, I amrenovating my office and my dear beloved and i have come up with a great idea for keeping all my crap, er, uh, models, engineering texts, and so on. Behold!
20230210_202245.jpg

Now what Beloved doesn't know is, I plan to display my 1:100 (static) Saturn V in that large center area that used to be for TV's and such. But of course, I need to cut a "U" shaped slot out of that shelf above the large opening, and with the low clearance and a mirror back there, I've set myself up for a challenge.

And I'm up for ideas. I thought about a good-sized hole saw and coming up from the bottom; a jig saw, but it's have to be guided or it'd look like a dog chewed it out; and beyond that I'm out of ideas. I have a 3/8" Milwaukee drill, but don't know how big a hole saw one could safely use with it - as well as how much the drill could handle. Here's another view of the shelf:
20230210_202207.jpg

The ol' Saturn V (Famemaster 4D vision) will be coming up through right where that anniversary clock is sitting. Maybe if I used a jig saw with a trammel point on a bar similar to a rip fence? And I do have veneer banding for the raw edge I'll create - I think the shelf is veneered particle board.

Then I want to cantilever a few more shelves down the side. I also want to get some lights to shine up on it as well as the downlight; add some 1:100 hand rail and people around the opening in the top shelf (and elsewhere); and of course I will also display Boyce's 1:100 Mercury-Redstone (built), and also a little 1:100 Wright Flyer and Spirit of St. Louis (Glencoe models), as soon as I can get them built.

Thanks, all, I WILL post pics!

Well, I just got a "like,"so I thought I'd update. SWMBO really didn't like me cutting into that shelf - but she didn't like looking at the Saturn either! So I'm pretty much done moving furniture, but not done moving in... She'll have to look at the Saturn, poor thing! ;) But wait, it gets worse! I had a custom poster printed of the Apollo 11 liftoff such that the rocket is exactly the size of my model; and as well the "J" sized NASA overall drawing of the Saturn-Apollo with the rocket sized to my 1:100 model. Then I have a 1:100 Wright Flyer and Spirit of St. Louis to build, and last week ran across, of all things, a 1:100 DC-3 to throw into the display. I also want to get some 1:100 astronauts and people to complete the scale display. And across from that, I have my re-arranged Snoopy (as the WWI flying ace) montage, now including the Atlantis Snoopy and Red Baron models on home-made shelves:

View attachment 20230313_160852.jpg

Like most of my hobby efforts I don't know when'll get to those kits, especially with spring breaking, but pray for me! :D

Are you absolutely sure it's not removable? Nowadays it's rare to find furniture that wasn't screwed together... especially large units like that. Was it glued in place?
I've done may fair share of furniture modification, and I couldn't find screws or any reasonable way to get it out that I'd want to try. It just wasn't worth it. Here it is partially stocked - like I said, I'm not done re-arranging all my junque (that's high-class junk!) yet.
20230403_145539.jpg

The Flying Ace display is amazing. Well done.

Blast It Tom - ACE Display .jpg

As to to your display... have you thought about cutting a slot in the lower shelf to set the Saturn V into?

Blast It Tom - Display.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea, but not any more! I actually added that shelf in the center after I scrapped the idea that I started this thread with! My, that's a fine photoshop you dd on that! No, my poor beloved is going to end up looking at an "Apollo corner" with the models and posters that I mentioned - if I can ever get to it! 🤪

there might be screws that are counter sunk cover over with wood buttons .You might try a magnet
or metal detector to see if it picks up screws hidden under a button ?

Oh, guys thanks, but that ship has sailed. That shelf holds a mirror and if screws are holding it, they are under veneer, not buttons. It's just not worth it.

I will build up the corner of my desk for the display. A 20"x 60" poster of the liftoff of Apollo 11 with the image of the rocket the same size as my rocket, and a "J" size NASA drawing of the vehicle also scaled to make the rocket image the same size as mine will grace the walls in the corner. I have some poster framing to do, and then I'll add a platform and some 1:100 figures (astronauts and people), my Boyce 1:100 Mercury Redstone, and some famous aircraft in 1:100 scale - the Wright flyer, the Spirit of St. Louis, and a DC-3 (or C-47- I'll probably do it as a military aircraft). Just having the Mercury-Redstone beside the thing is awesome - Alan Shepherd and Gus Grissom had a bit of flying to do just to reach the top of the mighty Saturn V!

its going to interesting to see how his wife reacts. LOL

Oh, she is really a dear heart, but it is hilarious - when I first got the kids to go together on that Saturn V (link here) as a Christmas present, she asked me where I was going to put it. And I told her "in my office." And she, as serious and as straight faced as could be, said "But I didn't want anything else in your office." The kids (all well grown, I have six grandkids) all cracked up. "Mom! Did you hear what you just said?!" But it certainly isn't her idea of stylish decor - and believe me, she is a homemaker extraordinaire, she makes this place both beautiful and wonderfully homey. Still, she just doesn't get it with me and my rockets, nor my fond remembrances of the great missions. The longer I've lived, the more awesome both the hardware and the guys that had the incredible skill and guts to fly them seem to me.

This is the way it looked before we changed everything around:
20221126_161735.jpg
Now the walls behind it are blank and repainted, ready for my posters, etc.

Oh, guys thanks, but that ship has sailed. That shelf holds a mirror and if screws are holding it, they are under veneer, not buttons. It's just not worth it.

I will build up the corner of my desk for the display. A 20"x 60" poster of the liftoff of Apollo 11 with the image of the rocket the same size as my rocket, and a "J" size NASA drawing of the vehicle also scaled to make the rocket image the same size as mine will grace the walls in the corner. I have some poster framing to do, and then I'll add a platform and some 1:100 figures (astronauts and people), my Boyce 1:100 Mercury Redstone, and some famous aircraft in 1:100 scale - the Wright flyer, the Spirit of St. Louis, and a DC-3 (or C-47- I'll probably do it as a military aircraft). Just having the Mercury-Redstone beside the thing is awesome - Alan Shepherd and Gus Grissom had a bit of flying to do just to reach the top of the mighty Saturn V!

Oh, she is really a dear heart, but it is hilarious - when I first got the kids to go together on that Saturn V (link here) as a Christmas present, she asked me where I was going to put it. And I told her "in my office." And she, as serious and as straight faced as could be, said "But I didn't want anything else in your office." The kids (all well grown, I have six grandkids) all cracked up. "Mom! Did you hear what you just said?!" But it certainly isn't her idea of stylish decor - and believe me, she is a homemaker extraordinaire, she makes this place both beautiful and wonderfully homey. Still, she just doesn't get it with me and my rockets, nor my fond remembrances of the great missions. The longer I've lived, the more awesome both the hardware and the guys that had the incredible skill and guts to fly them seem to me.

This is the way it looked before we changed everything around:
View attachment 572566
Now the walls behind it are blank and repainted, ready for my posters, etc.
That clock makes me smile! 🙂

@ Blast it Tom!

That red diecast suv on the shelf would that by any chance be of a Mercedes Benz ML 320 or 430 would it ?
No, we have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and happened to find it in a die-cast, same color as ours! The grandson loves it. Then, last year, my oldest son found a 1:64 die-cast of my car in nearly the same color (Matchbox's approximation od Dodge's "B5 Blue"), so that's in there, too. Just tiny.

@ Blast it Tom

Did you hear how the Jeep got its name ?
There are 2 versions

version 1 it was named after a Popeye cartoon character called Eugene the Jeep

Version 2 "Just Electronics and Essential Parts' abbreviated JEEP

@ Blast it Tom

Did you hear how the Jeep got its name ?
There are 2 versions

version 1 it was named after a Popeye cartoon character called Eugene the Jeep

Version 2 "Just Electronics and Essential Parts' abbreviated JEEP
Version 3 - "Just Eats Every Penny". My autistic son has a whole load of these memorized!

Back