video camera recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emckee

Reaction score
Hi folks-

I tree'd my rocket video camera yesterday so am looking for recommendations on new ones.

The old one had several features I liked: a side-facing camera, built in 4 GB memory, and a body that would fit inside a BT-50 tube. Most of what I'm seeing available either has a downward facing aperture or is ~1.25" across. Also, many of the key-fob type cameras available on e-bay seem to have sketchy reliability, at best.

Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight, self-contained video camera? I've seen the pen-cam's on ebay and amazon... anyone try those? I'm thinking they should fit in a BT-50, or possibly even BT-20 tube.

Thanks!
Erik

Hi folks-

I tree'd my rocket video camera yesterday so am looking for recommendations on new ones.

The old one had several features I liked: a side-facing camera, built in 4 GB memory, and a body that would fit inside a BT-50 tube. Most of what I'm seeing available either has a downward facing aperture or is ~1.25" across. Also, many of the key-fob type cameras available on e-bay seem to have sketchy reliability, at best.

Anyone have recommendations for a lightweight, self-contained video camera? I've seen the pen-cam's on ebay and amazon... anyone try those? I'm thinking they should fit in a BT-50, or possibly even BT-20 tube.

Thanks!
Erik

Go check out chuck lohr's website... he's got a TON of stuff on the micro cams...

I've read a lot about folks trying the various other cams, with varying levels of success (usually not as good as the keychain cams...) The pen cams (look like an actual pen) usually don't have as good a picture quality... neither do the 'gumpack cams', lighter cams, etc...

Buy them from bayourat rocketry if you want good ones that you don't have to worry about crapping out on you after a flight or two...

Later! OL JR :)

Also, many of the key-fob type cameras available on e-bay seem to have sketchy reliability, at best.

I have had good luck with a couple keychain cameras from eBay. What is unreliable sometimes is the eBay vendor, who is often overseas, so if you don't get what you expected, it's difficult or impossible to resolve it.

If you read through some of the "808" camera sites, like the Chuck Lohr site that Luke mentioned, you can find lists of the vendors others have found reliable.

OR, you could order from Bayou Rat, who is a member of this forum and sells the keychain cam. It might cost a couple dollars more than buying from an anonymous source in Hong Kong, but the peace of mind and customer service would be worth it. He'll stand by the product and could help with any issues.

I like the keychain cam because the video results are great, it's small and light as can be, and it's cheap enough that if I lose it or it lands in a puddle I don't feel too bad.

You can also open the case and pull the sensor outside a bit to get whatever view you want.

Back