V-max vs. Warp 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
What are the differences in CTI and AT's high thrust propellants? Visual effects and performance as well...

My 5.5" dual deploy nike smoke is nearing retirment, just because it is such an old bird and has flown so many great flights (nearing a dozen dual deploy and many motor ejection)... I just think its time for it to rest, and this weekend might be its last flying weekend.

Anyways, I was thinking besides the usual 54mm K flights it loves, it might be fun to try a high thrust. I am considering the 54mm AT J's but I think a quick acceleration low alt flight would be cool...

So should I do a 38mm V-max, or a 38mm Warp 9?

The rocket is about 14-15 pounds loaded with a 54mm K and ready to go, and has flown fine on a K185 (so its pretty stable even at moderatly low speeds)...

I want to get it up to speed and decent altitude (well over 600', want it to have some time on drogue before the main pops) but I think a really low flight would be neat...

Sooooo?

I dont know of them all but off the top of my head, I800 Vmax, H669 W9 and H999 W9, I know there are more...

Lastly, it has flown on many K1100's and some EX baby L's so I dont think the stress of the smaller H-I warp 9 or Vmax motors will be to much for the motor mount, and considering the short burn time and lower total impulse it should get near the speeds it has seen on baby L's.

Thanks

Warp-9 is faster, V-Max has a brighter and more visible flame. Here are some examples.

My 3" carbon Miranda on an I800 V-Max.

IMG_0369.JPG

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sOwQJtBqxkA

A 4" rocket on an I1299N

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FpZUXJ3aTxk

How about an I1299? That should get it up real fast...but if you want to see it, I'd go with V-Max. From Kyle's vids, the V-Max seems much slower, kind of like comparing Blackjacks with White Lightnings.:)

An I will definitly be necessary to get the rocket going? Ill see whats available but how much alititude do you think it will get with an I1299 or I800? Not sure on weight without a motor but with a large K motor its around 15 Ibs.

That's quite heavy, I wouldn't go anything under an I. The I800 took my 5 1/2 lbs. (unloaded) Miranda to 2305'.

But thats the idea, I am looking for a very quick launch to a low altitude... Its dual deploy and has flown MANY times... Main pops at 500' so I am thinking anything in the 800-1200' range would be awesome...

So the I800 and I1299 will both get right around there? Worst case main is blown right at apogee... But I would prefer there to be enough time for a bit of dual deploy, just for effect.

Aerotech J-1999 awesome motor .Flown 2 times in my 4'' P/R mad dog. Burns out at 200' coasts for another 3500'-4000'

Be a killer flight and I have thought about the J1999 and its smaller 2 grain sibling... But I want to try a small motor in this rocket...

Another one I consided was the J350, or the J275... But I think an even smaller high thrust load would be awesome.

The I1299 would not get your rocket to even that altitude - it is a pretty small I motor. Actually, for that matter, the I800 isn't a full I either IIRC. Something like the I600R would be better to get it to >1000 feet. I have a rocket that weighs 16lbs with a K550, and on the I600, it gets just over a thousand feet and gets there rather quickly.

I really wanted to try one of the two new high thrust motors but maybe the I600 would be a better candidate...

It'll lift off just fine, but if it is really 12-13lbs on the pad (based on the weight with a K), you will only get it up to about 800 feet or so. If that is OK with you, then it'll be just fine. Could be a neat flight to watch...

I just wouldn't expect it to even break a thousand. On the other hand, it may lift off slow enough to see the warp 9 flame (PACKED with mach diamonds)

You vote the I1299? And the I800 will be alright as well?

800' sounds perfect, I am going for the effect of a really low flight, and the rockets deployment is very reliable so it could be 300' and the main would still pop deploying the TAC-1 before it lands...

Depending on which they have I may only have one choice.... If they have both which would you guys go for?

Probably wont have a chance to read your answers ;), leaving tomorrow right after school...

I vote W9, but that's because it's awesome :D

Honestly, both would be neat, and both would give you the effect you are looking for. Either would work fine.

Latest posts

Back