upscales

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of my Upscale Der Red Max. It is 6" in Diameter and about 5 1/2' tall. It was used for my L2 Cert. I also have a 3" which was my L1 Cert Rocket.

Thanks...it was a lot of fun to build and to fly as well. Landings can be tough with those big fins though.

Your's turned out great!!! Is that a Home made cone? It looks perfect.

My 3" has a bunch of battle scars but still flies as well as it did on it's first flight.

The nose cone was made by our very own Sandman. aka Gordon Agnello aka Roachwerks. He makes some awesome stuff. The one for my "Maxi Max" is balsa made to fit a BT80 tube. He even cored it out a bit so I could add some nose weight for stability.

Here's a link to the build...bunch of pics...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7882

Where did you find a 6" nose cone in the proper profile? Homemade?

Well Kinda - The one I actually use for the flight is a Fiberglass cone that I modified to look more like the original one.

I also have a great wooden cone that was turned by my father. It turned out just a little to heavy so I went with plan B and the fiberglass cone.

Performance Rocketry is close to completing a 6" exact replica - it may be done by now.

My next Der Red Max will be a 10" Diameter for my L3. That cone will be made out of foam and covered in fiberglass. It will be almost 40" long. It will have removable fins as well - the span will be so large it would be tough to fit in my car.

I have a bunch of other projects on the board first though.

Originally posted by Fuddrucker
Here is a shot of me with my upscale Blue Bird Zero on the pad for my Level 2 Cert. flight. All went well.

...Fudd

I really thought about upscaling that Bird, very nice! what scale did you use?
Thanks!

Goblin

Golblin8a.jpg

Originally posted by Elapid
Goblin

Golblin8a.jpg

That's so cute. Where did you find the miniature bike, trees and deck material. That's a pretty realistic looking diorama. If I didn't know any better.......I'd, think..........I'd, uh....... OH MY LORD! IT'S AN EIGHT FOOT TALL GOBLIN! COVER YOURSELVES WITH MELTED BUTTER AND HIDE! :eek:

Originally posted by Fishhead
That's so cute. Where did you find the miniature bike, trees and deck material. That's a pretty realistic looking diorama. If I didn't know any better.......I'd, think..........I'd, uh....... OH MY LORD! IT'S AN EIGHT FOOT TALL GOBLIN! COVER YOURSELVES WITH MELTED BUTTER AND HIDE!OH MY LORD! IT'S AN EIGHT FOOT TALL GOBLIN! COVER YOURSELVES WITH MELTED BUTTER AND HIDE! :eek:

I like the miniature cacti the best... :p

WOW...some great upscales here! Nice work fellas.

Here's my favorite. BT80 Interceptor...29mm...still hasn't flow yet. I'll try to get her airborne this weekend at the Tulsa Rocketry launch.

Elapid, that nosecone makes it more gorgeous than before :D ... Sweet job sandman

You guys have no idea how good it feels seeing my stuff turned into such masterpieces.

OK...now what can we do next?

So, Rob, how much paint comes in those teeny tiny 1" long spray cans?:D

i thought i replied to this one!

thanks for the compliments, guys!!!!!

i am planning to do my L3 Cert with the 8" Goblin at Balls14 in September.

sandman's nosecone really *made* this rocket.
thanks, gordon!
:)

Here's my 4" upscale of the Estes Astron Bandit

It's flown on AMW K530GG and CTI K670SS so far. Plan on the CTI L730 soon.

It's based on a BT-70 and flys on a 3x24mm cluster.

Starship Nova.

Phred at Excelcior did the decals (three sheets I think plus my logo).

I have some upscale versions of the nose cone left.

Nicely done, Sandman. I remember seeing the thread where you were making the nose cones, but I never saw the finished bird. Great job!

Greg

Ok...

My Colonial Viper 2x fresh off the Battlestar Galactica...
:D

Back