Rocketarium Trident Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building the Rocketarium Trident rocket, specifically, the 13, 18 or 24mm version. For anyone who's built one of these, is the nose cone hollow? And if so, what would you estimate the thickness is for the walls of the nose cone (not including the shoulder)?

I ask because I like building payload bays into my nose cones and I'm used to having plastic nose cones that have plenty of space inside. I know the Trident rockets have payload bays, but I prefer to build the payload bays and place the payload as far up as possible in the rocket.

For the 13mm version: how well do you think it flies off of 1/4A engines?
For the 18mm version: can you fly it off of 1/2A engines? If so, what would you estimate the approximate altitude is?
For the 24mm version: can it fly off of 3x B engines (like a B6-4 in a spacer)?

I built the 29mm. If the 24 is similar, it is a hollow plastic nose cone like the other Rocketarium stuff. You should be able to chop off the bottom and get some real estate.

I don't know the minimums for a 24, but I've flown the 29 on 3-F67's and 3 F25's (full F's), and it did quite well. Waiting for the day for either 3 G80's or 3 H115's (may be a little much for our field).

You probably already know this, but I'd strongly suggest using the exact same type of igniter for all the motors, either from the pack, or use some dipped e-matches. When I did the F-67's, one used an igniter from a different motor (another Aerotech F, but it was a slightly different igniter style).

When they lit, the two identical lit at the same time, the third one waited until the rocket was about 15' clear of the pad.

Changed to all the same igniters after that.

You probably already know this, but I'd strongly suggest using the exact same type of igniter for all the motors, either from the pack, or use some dipped e-matches. When I did the F-67's, one used an igniter from a different motor (another Aerotech F, but it was a slightly different igniter style).

When they lit, the two identical lit at the same time, the third one waited until the rocket was about 15' clear of the pad.

Changed to all the same igniters after that.
I'd definitely use the same igniters/starters and would also avoid launching off of composites unless I was prepared to lose the rocket (due to chuffing).

I'd definitely use the same igniters/starters and would also avoid launching off of composites unless I was prepared to lose the rocket (due to chuffing).
Composits chuff due to a couple of scenarios. One is the igniter was not fully to the top or it slipped down.
Another problem is if you have propellant that is old or stored bad. Take a nylon brush and clean out the full length of the grain- slot/hole on the motor grain exposing fresh propellant.
Personally with clusters insure you have 12volt, high ampere launch system. Clean clips, and igniters made for clustering.
I use Clusterfire pyrogen and dip low current demand igniters in it. It takes very little current to fire and burns at 5400degF. The hottest pyrogen available.
Rocketflite.com. He also is the maker of Magnalite pyrogen. He supplies the US military so he is the real deal.

I'm thinking about building the Rocketarium Trident rocket, specifically, the 13, 18 or 24mm version. For anyone who's built one of these, is the nose cone hollow? And if so, what would you estimate the thickness is for the walls of the nose cone (not including the shoulder)?

I ask because I like building payload bays into my nose cones and I'm used to having plastic nose cones that have plenty of space inside. I know the Trident rockets have payload bays, but I prefer to build the payload bays and place the payload as far up as possible in the rocket.

For the 13mm version: how well do you think it flies off of 1/4A engines?
For the 18mm version: can you fly it off of 1/2A engines? If so, what would you estimate the approximate altitude is?
For the 24mm version: can it fly off of 3x B engines (like a B6-4 in a spacer)?
Assuming weight is as specified (i.e. no added payload bay):
  • 13mm , 1/4A3-3 is recommended, though seems dicey, 72' apogee, 2s coast time
  • 18mm, 1/2A6-2 definitely not, 32' apogee with 1.3s coast time
  • 24mm, B6-2 seems ok, 150' apogee, 2.7s coast time.
  • And for completeness, 29mm, D12-3, 400' apogee, 4s coast time

Assuming weight is as specified (i.e. no added payload bay):
  • 13mm , 1/4A3-3 is recommended, though seems dicey, 72' apogee, 2s coast time
  • 18mm, 1/2A6-2 definitely not, 32' apogee with 1.3s coast time
  • 24mm, B6-2 seems ok, 150' apogee, 2.7s coast time.
  • And for completeness, 29mm, D12-3, 400' apogee, 4s coast time
I have a 29mm Trident. I have only flown it once on three Aerotech SU F67's.
It flew perfectly with all motors lighting
and screamed off the pad. Apogee was around 2000' Chute Release did it's thing at 400' Recoverd. No damage.

Back