Updates...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in discussion with @BEC , he tells me anyone CAN submit a NAR contest rules change, and I plan on submitting one for two new categories for competition, HSR and BSR (@sr205347d , if you want to go for BFR, go for it. I leave that in your court.)
Yes, and the window for submitting proposals for the next rules change cycle is open NOW. The process is here https://www.nar.org/contest-flying/rules-revision-process/ though the dates are last year's. Look at the latest eRocketeer for current proposal submission dates.

Mods: if you're moving posts to BABAR's other thread, this one should go too.

Sorry, Ron.

Some unique D motor rockets with cams and altimeters

Hurricane Dora was passing by this coming week so this was our opportunity to launch. The winds went from none to 12mph by 9am. I got in some good D motors before the winds started. One issue with starting early in the morning is that the light is not as vibrant as it is at 8am. Let me know if anyone recognizes the warplanes that flew overhead.

The ejection for the SS Cestris caused the NC to hit the body causing a loud thud but wasn't picked up in the cams. Fortunately, no discernible damage to the rocket. The 60th and 65th Anniversary Dual launch was epic. Too bad the side cam failed to pick it up.

Aerotech sent me the replacement motors. Much appreciated. I'm still watching for a reply from Estes about my June Catos. They don't answer calls or return messages. The website feedback form seems to work, eventually.

0:00 Intro
0:41 SS Cestris D12-5 305ft 7pts
2:02 Flight video RR
2:58 Gigabucks D12-5 706ft 7pts
4:12 Flight video RR
5:39 Spool Rocket 1/4A3-3T
6:01 Blender 1/4A3-3T
6:20 AIM-120 AMRAAM D12-5 6pts
7:35 Flight video
8:57 Star Hopper 1/4A3-3T
9:06 Big Yank A10-3T
9:43 Antique warplane flies overhead
9:51 Box fin C5-3 4pts
11:01 Dual Blue Sapphire B6-4 and Alpha VI A8-3 5pts
12:44 Total 29pts + 5 bonus = 34pts

Spectacular Mid-Power Rocket launches including several student rockets and payloads

We had a three day weekend with Friday being Hawaii Statehood Day. The WCC launch was schedule on Friday but no students so was a quick day then off to Ruby Tuesdays. We also launched Sunday evening at Blaisdell Park. Joe from Hobbyco.co said he'll schedule the next launch on the first Sundays instead, which will be 9/1. This video only has the MPR launches from Saturday because the video was already 24 minutes long. I'll probably release the other launches in the coming week. The winds were reported to be between 3 and 7 mph, but there was a brisk 10mph wind throughout the morning so had foregone the live stream.

I filed the NOTAM with the FAA for 2000ft. It seemed like this drew in about a dozen small aircraft into the area so filing seems to make the situation worse. We made sure to pay extra attention to the sky before each launch. I got the ground cam to fall over once with the Great Goblin. Gary had the idea of using thin fishing line to keep the cam upright with the exhaust cutting the line. Problem is that I couldn't find the fishing line so well try it next time.

It appears the Majestic was too heavy for the booster which didn't show in the sim. The bad news is that it landed in the substation. The good news that it was laying on the ground so no damage. Needless to say, HECO is not happy with me. The zipper in the Bandit Upscale should be an easy fix. I plan to cut off all but 2in from the baffle and replace with a new tube. That'll leave a 2in scar but at least I'll be able to redo the bad paint job I did in the black area before.

Jake had inherited a bunch of E9-6 motors. One worked well the day before when he tested it on the ground but not so this time with his Shadow that Catod causing minimal damage. He then tried another test by taping the motor to my rail which worked fine. Not sure what he'll do with the other E9s. I always suggest putting them in a Vortico which is Cato proof. Jake was having fin problems. One of the fins on the Shadow was loose and came off on it's second flight. Then one of the fins on his new Initiator broke off on its first flight. He fixed both with duct tape on the subsequent flights which mostly worked. Remember, if it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough. Duct tape is the handyman's tool.

The Great Goblin had a perfect flight despite using an old motor. It even ended up landing in soft dirt. Gary retrieved it along with his successful Nike Smoke. After two long treks in the field to retrieve his Rockets, he was exhausted and was done for the day. He said the other rockets would go higher so would have to walk further to get them. It's too bad he didn't bring his e-bike again this time.

0:00 Majestic F15-0/F15-8 5pts
1:23 Gary Estes Super Neon XL, E12-6
1:58 Jake Shadow E9-6
2:51 Gary Madcow Mini Tomach, E16-6
4:10 Bandit Upscale G80-10T 1165ft 7pts
5:40 Flight video RR
7:44 Jake Shadow E26-4
8:14 Shidong / Angelo HonCC Caliber ISP hon-64 G74-6W
9:42 Jake Initator F52-5C
10:23 Gary Nike Smoke F26-6
11:40 Great Goblin G38-4FJ 899ft 7pts
13:20 Flight video RR
15:02 Shidong / Melody HonCC Caliber ISP hon-64 G74-6W
16:28 Fernando Lamas
16:39 Jake Initator F52-5C
17:34 Super Big Bertha F67-6W 1005ft 7pts
18:47 Flight video RR
20:31 Jake Shadow E15-7
21:36 Jake test another E9-6
22:00 2to2.5 F15-4 801ft 6pts
23:20 Flight video RR
24:36 Total 32pts + 15bonus = 47pts

Love the slow-mo/close-ups of the Shadow launches.

Just a question that I'm sure was answered somewhere in the previous 57 pages, how are the points awarded?

Love the slow-mo/close-ups of the Shadow launches.

Just a question that I'm sure was answered somewhere in the previous 57 pages, how are the points awarded?
Not a problem. I realized I should include in my Signature. A day over 40pts is an epic launch day. That equates to ten 3FNC rockets launching.

Some unique D motor rockets with cams and altimeters

Hurricane Dora was passing by this coming week so this was our opportunity to launch. The winds went from none to 12mph by 9am. I got in some good D motors before the winds started. One issue with starting early in the morning is that the light is not as vibrant as it is at 8am. Let me know if anyone recognizes the warplanes that flew overhead.

The ejection for the SS Cestris caused the NC to hit the body causing a loud thud but wasn't picked up in the cams. Fortunately, no discernible damage to the rocket. The 60th and 65th Anniversary Dual launch was epic. Too bad the side cam failed to pick it up.

Aerotech sent me the replacement motors. Much appreciated. I'm still watching for a reply from Estes about my June Catos. They don't answer calls or return messages. The website feedback form seems to work, eventually.

0:41 SS Cestris D12-5 305ft 7pts
2:02 Flight video RR
2:58 Gigabucks D12-5 706ft 7pts
4:12 Flight video RR
5:39 Spool Rocket 1/4A3-3T
6:01 Blender 1/4A3-3T
6:20 AIM-120 AMRAAM D12-5 6pts
7:35 Flight video
8:57 Star Hopper 1/4A3-3T
9:06 Big Yank A10-3T
9:43 Antique warplane flies overhead
9:51 Box fin C5-3 4pts
11:01 Dual Blue Sapphire B6-4 and Alpha VI A8-3 5pts
12:44 Total 29pts + 5 bonus = 34pts

Am I the only one getting some weird (I am not a robot) thing for this video?

Labor Day launches in the park with lots of composite chuffing and rocket gymnastics

Labor Day starts a week of mild winds. The only issue was a wind shift from the north to the south. I didn't advertise Monday because we spent ten hours Saturday at the Girl Scout Camp helping the teens build paper rockets and launch them with air pumps. The one way road to the camp is quite treacherous and requires coordination to prevent running off the road. It started pouring at the end so was even more treacherous driving down the wet hill in the dark.

I used several Quest motors, and Gary was using his QB4-4 motor pack. The chuffing was so bad, it was causing the rockets to veer. I have pieces of "waterproof wick" that I forgot to use in the E35 motor. I believe it helps igniting the motor. The fuse piece fits into the E35 but not the D20. I'm not planning to submit a warranty request because Karl from Aerotech sent me extra replacements recently. I'm still waiting for the warranty replacements from Estes, but they're finally in the mail.

I'm not sure what I was thinking about using the C6-3 in the SST. It has the SST shown on the C5-3 advertising. The rocket was very slow off the rod so only made it to 171ft. I think I had the chute connected too far from the nose cone so not enough ejection to pull out the chute. The fin had a complete break and was easy to reattach. The Interrogator had the best flight. Unfortunately by that time, the cams were starting to overheat in the hot, humid sun. Gary lost and recovered three nose cones, and the Quinstar had a spectacular Cato on an old composite motor.

0:00 Gary Quinstar, Quest B6-0
0:58 DBOM E35-5W 477ft 7pts
2:12 Flight video RR
3:31 Gary Chiller, QJet B4-4
4:29 SST C6-3 171ft 5pts
5:41 Flight video
6:14 Gary Mix N Match 55, QJet B4-4
7:08 Gary Mix N Match 55, QJet B4-4
7:58 Conquest D20-4W 188ft 5pts
9:00 Flight video
10:22 Gary Emerald Streak, A8-3
10:58 Interrogator D12-5 433ft 7pts
11:54 Flight video RR
13:05 Gary Red Flare, D12-3
14:02 Total 24pts + 5 bonus = 29pts

Labor Day launches in the park with lots of composite chuffing and rocket gymnastics

Labor Day starts a week of mild winds. The only issue was a wind shift from the north to the south. I didn't advertise Monday because we spent ten hours Saturday at the Girl Scout Camp helping the teens build paper rockets and launch them with air pumps. The one way road to the camp is quite treacherous and requires coordination to prevent running off the road. It started pouring at the end so was even more treacherous driving down the wet hill in the dark.

I used several Quest motors, and Gary was using his QB4-4 motor pack. The chuffing was so bad, it was causing the rockets to veer. I have pieces of "waterproof wick" that I forgot to use in the E35 motor. I believe it helps igniting the motor. The fuse piece fits into the E35 but not the D20. I'm not planning to submit a warranty request because Karl from Aerotech sent me extra replacements recently. I'm still waiting for the warranty replacements from Estes, but they're finally in the mail.

I'm not sure what I was thinking about using the C6-3 in the SST. It has the SST shown on the C5-3 advertising. The rocket was very slow off the rod so only made it to 171ft. I think I had the chute connected too far from the nose cone so not enough ejection to pull out the chute. The fin had a complete break and was easy to reattach. The Interrogator had the best flight. Unfortunately by that time, the cams were starting to overheat in the hot, humid sun. Gary lost and recovered three nose cones, and the Quinstar had a spectacular Cato on an old composite motor.

0:00 Gary Quinstar, Quest B6-0
0:58 DBOM E35-5W 477ft 7pts
2:12 Flight video RR
3:31 Gary Chiller, QJet B4-4
4:29 SST C6-3 171ft 5pts
5:41 Flight video
6:14 Gary Mix N Match 55, QJet B4-4
7:08 Gary Mix N Match 55, QJet B4-4
7:58 Conquest D20-4W 188ft 5pts
9:00 Flight video
10:22 Gary Emerald Streak, A8-3
10:58 Interrogator D12-5 433ft 7pts
11:54 Flight video RR
13:05 Gary Red Flare, D12-3
14:02 Total 24pts + 5 bonus = 29pts

Remind me, the ejection charge is supposed to go off BEFORE the rocket lands, right?

Where did you find an 8 second delay B motor?

The timing of Gary's ejection couldn't have been better, when I first saw it I though, "I've never seen a rocket BOUNCE like that before!"

I continue to enjoy the videos, with Christopher's "color" commentary.

You and Gary get those fins on amazingly straight, on your camera flights I continue to be amazed at some complex rockets with near zero roll. Also impressed with the quality of the "stills" you pull of on rocket descent. That's one great camera.

Remind me, the ejection charge is supposed to go off BEFORE the rocket lands, right?

Where did you find an 8 second delay B motor?

The timing of Gary's ejection couldn't have been better, when I first saw it I though, "I've never seen a rocket BOUNCE like that before!"

I continue to enjoy the videos, with Christopher's "color" commentary.

You and Gary get those fins on amazingly straight, on your camera flights I continue to be amazed at some complex rockets with near zero roll. Also impressed with the quality of the "stills" you pull of on rocket descent. That's one great camera.
I timed the delay off the video in real time, I get more than six seconds.
It was supposed to be 4 seconds (QJet B4-4).
This was from a replacement bulk pack of B4-4s that was supposed to have addressed some "issues" with the early production bulk packs.
Well, the clay nozzle erosion issue seems to have been corrected.
Other issues, not so much.
In addition to the over long delay, there was this:
1694634285489.png
Case deformation during flight.
I wound up cracking the fin can to pull it out.
*SIGH*

I timed the delay off the video in real time, I get more than six seconds.
It was supposed to be 4 seconds (QJet B4-4).
This was from a replacement bulk pack of B4-4s that was supposed to have addressed some "issues" with the early production bulk packs.
Well, the clay nozzle erosion issue seems to have been corrected.
Other issues, not so much.
In addition to the over long delay, there was this:
View attachment 603931
Case deformation during flight.
I wound up cracking the fin can to pull it out.
*SIGH*

I met Karl Baumann at ARLISS. He referred to me as their Beta tester for their 18mm motors. At his Aerotech booth, he had boxes of micro rockets they were giving away so grabbed a few. Gary, do you still have a bunch of the motors? Jake said he has some in his lab, and Nikki/Tiger are very enthusiastic about them.

I'm curious what tape people are using to mount the fin tabs.
My Gyroc is a clone and used masking tape. It's held up so far.

Speaking of chuffs, a similar situation occurred at ARLISS but much more dramatically. A Metalstorm motor (like an I280DM) went horizontal parallel to the flight line. I was behind a RV at the time but saw it quickly arc over and go cruise missile, probably creating a 100ft trench in the playa. I think what happened is that the chuff set off the ejection pyros causing the payload to eject. When the motor kicked in, there was no upper section. Karl was at his vendor tent, and I asked him if he crapped his pants. He guffawed and said he's seen worse. (likely true)

Last edited:

High Power Rockets: Level 1 Cert flight and more at ARLISS on the Black Rock Dry Lake - Day 1 and 2

We had perfect flying conditions in Nevada, probably the calm after the storm when TS Hillary blew through Baja and California. By the time we were there, the playa was mostly dried with a few cars still stuck in the mud near the hot springs. This video is heavily edited so no, I did not stand next to the launching rockets. I launched a total of four flights with the LOC Patriot and two with the Bounty Hunter. After about 45 degrees, my cam will lose the flight in the clear blue sky, so I edited out most of the blurry parts.

The flight line was not very busy like I had heard with most events. There were times (especially in the early afternoon) when you could walk up, have the RSO inspect the rocket, get assigned a rail by the LCO, then launch without delay. There were four students from WCC and HonCC who got their Level 1 Cert (plus me), and two students who passed the Level 2 exam and successfully flew their Level 2 J motors. I didn't bother with Level 2 because the motors are more expensive and can't see them when they reach 5,000ft.

Fortunately, no problems with the level 1 Cert flight. I think I accidently added the second ground video in with the first, but I'm sure no one will notice (except that the cam is on the ground before flight). Because there was very little wind (except the second day), a lot of the rockets were landing behind the flight line so a lot of heads up were called. I find that the Handycam video is shakier for my flights because I'm nervous.

The purpose of ARLISS is to invite rocketry groups with their M motor rockets so universities around the world can compete with different challenges. The universities pay for the motor ($500), and the clubs get to fly their rockets. Nikki built a rover last year that crashed, so she built a new one called Robare. For some reason, the charge meant to sever the chute after it lands went off on the table. At this point, she was happy if the rover makes it to the ground in one piece.

Jake's rocket achieved the mission of expelling the test weight to revalidate the rocket after it crashed last year. Like most M motor rockets, it comes down in three sections plus the payload. However, Jake believes he inadvertently pushed the nose cone chute in too far, and the drag plate was not enough to pull out the chute. Fortunately, Becky had a spare. Nikki decided to buy a bigger chute from the vendors. During the XPRS duration contest, Tiger (Nikki's daughter) won the G motor category using the chute.

Lots of things went wrong with the second Patriot flight. The cam battery died on the pad, there was too much charge in the ejection causing the chute to blow off, and the NC popped the clip causing it to tumble down and break open one of the altimeters. After this, I figure out that a ten second delay is nominal for the adjustable delay motors and to just use the amount of black powder charge that Aerotech gives you.

Despite the case breaking open, the broken altimeter seems fine after gluing it back together. Learning how to put together a reloadable motor was worth the flight. I borrowed the case from Becky and made sure to use plenty of baby wipes to clean out the residue. The downside of using a reloadable is that I don't get a souvenir motor case to take home. The I280 from day 4 is a hefty 14in long.

The Bounty Hunter had too little delay and zippered about 8in down the tube. I covered the zipper with epoxy and duct tape so was good to go for another flight. The zipper may have also caused the cam to fall off. It was still recording when I found it about 40ft behind the pad. It works but still trying to get it to work reliably.

Jake's second launch also had problems. The NC ejected and Robare was ejected, but the ejection charges for the main chute failed to ignite so it tumbled to the ground flattening one fin and damaging the forward tube. Robare landed but missing one of its two wheels that someone found later.

0:05 LOC Patriot 4in H195T 1502ft
2:23 Flight video RR
4:48 Jake deploying test weight on M1600
6:06 Melody Level 1 flight
6:12 LOC Patriot 4in I285GR 2597ft?
8:31 Typical ARLISS competition flight
8:53 Bounty Hunter G125T-8 1167ft
11:10 Flight video
11:58 Jake deploying Nikki's Robare rover
13:13 Gavin Level 2 flight J270
14:31 John Candy Bowl E11
15:44 Photos of day 1 and 2

Going for higher altitude at XPRS on day 3 and 4

XPRS is a Tripoli event so can launch any motor that NAR deems too risky. I had three nearly perfect launches. Two on day 3 and one on day 4. I thought the G75M would have dark smoke but was white instead. Not a big deal since it still had plenty of sparkies.

The I280M had lots of dark smoke and sparkies. The motor tube is 14in long so was worried that the ejection charge was right next to the Kevlar chute protector. Wasn't a problem with no holes in the chute blanket. With the heavy motor, I made sure to move the CG a diameter ahead of the CP. To do this, I scooped up playa dirt and poured it in the nose cone then covered the hole with duct tape. I added enough to move the CG five inches from the CP.

The best part about the I280M flight was the screeching caused by the rocket after the two second burn. It was really fun walking up to the Rocket.Supplies tent and perusing through the boxes of high powered motors like I was picking fruit from a market vendor.

Jim and Becky put on a terrific event. Their RV is called Green Acres. I asked her if that makes her Zsa Zsa Gabor, and she said yes. She had enough Costco supplies to last a long time and offered us meals for $20 per day in addition to the $10 daily BLM fee for using the playa. I also bought a few motors from her until the vendors showed up.

During ARLISS, the competition rockets took precedence, so any other rockets had to wait until the universities launched their M rockets. It was still very chill at XPRS with hardly any waiting during the mid-day.

0:05 LOC Patriot 4in I140W-10 2213ft
2:48 Flight video RR
4:27 Fruity Chutes test flight
5:08 Bounty Hunter G75M-7 1336ft
7:43 Flight video RR
10:03 LOC Patriot 4in I280M-10 3181ft
10:45 Flight video RR
15:09 Photos of various XPRS flights

Going for higher altitude at XPRS on day 3 and 4

XPRS is a Tripoli event so can launch any motor that NAR deems too risky. I had three nearly perfect launches. Two on day 3 and one on day 4. I thought the G75M would have dark smoke but was white instead. Not a big deal since it still had plenty of sparkies.

The I280M had lots of dark smoke and sparkies. The motor tube is 14in long so was worried that the ejection charge was right next to the Kevlar chute protector. Wasn't a problem with no holes in the chute blanket. With the heavy motor, I made sure to move the CG a diameter ahead of the CP. To do this, I scooped up playa dirt and poured it in the nose cone then covered the hole with duct tape. I added enough to move the CG five inches from the CP.

The best part about the I280M flight was the screeching caused by the rocket after the two second burn. It was really fun walking up to the Rocket.Supplies tent and perusing through the boxes of high powered motors like I was picking fruit from a market vendor.

Jim and Becky put on a terrific event. Their RV is called Green Acres. I asked her if that makes her Zsa Zsa Gabor, and she said yes. She had enough Costco supplies to last a long time and offered us meals for $20 per day in addition to the $10 daily BLM fee for using the playa. I also bought a few motors from her until the vendors showed up.

During ARLISS, the competition rockets took precedence, so any other rockets had to wait until the universities launched their M rockets. It was still very chill at XPRS with hardly any waiting during the mid-day.

0:05 LOC Patriot 4in I140W-10 2213ft
2:48 Flight video RR
4:27 Fruity Chutes test flight
5:08 Bounty Hunter G75M-7 1336ft
7:43 Flight video RR
10:03 LOC Patriot 4in I280M-10 3181ft
10:45 Flight video RR
15:09 Photos of various XPRS flights

I liked and noticed too the masking tape on the BT for the igniter leads. Very Nice. I've been twisting my leads around the clips and triple wrapping the rubber band on the nozzle, but that seems like a better way for HPR.

Congrats on the successful Patriot flight! How do you transport your rockets, especially the big ones, back and forth across the Pacific to events like this?
I picked the LOC Patriot because it's mostly in equal sections and small fins so fit nicely in a suitcase with blankets. I had enough room to also fit my NCR Bounty Hunter. No damage in transit. I'm thinking of a Madcow fiberglass rocket for next time.

Launching at Waipahu, Blaisdell, and Windward over several gorgeous Hawaiian days

We had a low wind day at Waipahu Park, and Gary and I were joined by Joe from Hobbyco. The previous Sunday was Joe's club event at Blaisdell Park. The Windward event was the week before. At Windward, we successfully retrieved the Maxi Alpha 3 from the building roof. The Estes altimeter was dead, but the rocket was mostly intact. Because of the lawndarts, I've had to cut off 4in. Rather than replacing the forward tube, I added a two more clay squares to the NC.

The Cosmic Interceptor went straight up but arced over too much and landed on the roof. We tried to retrieve it with a fishing rod. Unfortunately, there were too many kids around. The rocket landed near a Razor scooter (impressive toss to the roof). The Odyssey's E26 motor nozzle was fine, so the thrust was probably too much for the draggy rocket. It was a simple matter to bring down the hanging rocket.

I almost didn't launch the Doorknob clone after the Cosmic Interceptor landed on the roof, and the Odyssey landed in the tree. Peer pressure prevailed, but I had no more altimeter and cam to use. Thanks to Kevin, my Ion altimeter is working now. I wanted to try it out but was too afraid to lose it on its initial flight.

Gary launched a series of LOC 18mm rockets using the box of Quest B4-4 motors. He also launched two Madcow rockets. Joe experimented with the MMM that Garrett built who is an expert builder with impressive rocket joints and paint. Joe wanted to find out what's the smallest motor he can launch in the rocket.

I saw on Facebook a post about someone who saw the bucket filter at the auto shop and wondered if it would fly. It looked similar to the dollar store bowls I've seen used so ordered one from Amazon. In looking at the video, one of the A8-3 motors was delayed which didn't allow the rocket to rise. I thought it needed to be higher on the rod. The B6-4s worked but needed more rod to be more stable. Maybe not enough for a straight flight but still better.

The Bandit3 was the first kit that Christopher bought and built himself. He previously built rockets out of scrap parts which mostly worked. The Frick-n-Frack is awesome. I didn't have booster motors so should work better next time. Garrett's Super Orbital Transport that Joe launched looks very professional. Fortunately, it didn't land in a tree on it's initial flight. The glider needs more aft weight so it can glide and not nose dive.

Eric's son made a 26.7 second streamer endurance flight, advancing one notch towards NARTREK Cadet Gemini. The DBOM made a spectacular night launch but lost its altimeter with the violent ejection. This was the altimeter that fell from 2500ft at ARLISS, cracked the case, and glued back together. We searched in the dark but couldn't find it. It had a distinguished career.

0:00 Maxi Alpha 3 E35-5W 358ft 5pts
1:14 Cosmic Interceptor E12-6 5pts
2:11 Odyssey E26-4W 4pts
3:36 Doorknob F44-4W 4pts
4:58 LOC IV, QJet B4-4
5:41 Flip Flyer B4-4
6:02 Isis, QJet B4-4
6:42 Big Nuke, QJet B4-4
6:58 Joe's Mini Mean Machine 1/4A3-3T
7:07 Hyperloc, QJet B4-4
7:24 Joes' MMM 1/2A3-2T
7:38 Iris, QJet B4-4