Unknown REAL rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTimm

Reaction score
Heres a photo I recently acquired of an unknown rocket.

Anyone have a clue as to what it is?

Chris Timm

Originally posted by CTimm
Heres a photo I recently acquired of an unknown rocket.

Anyone have a clue as to what it is?

Chris Timm

Your next project? :p

I don't even know where to tell you to begin to look!

I thumbed thru Gunston's Rockets and missiles book but did not find that design..it looks like possibly surface to air or possibly air to air..can't tell how big it is

Originally posted by graylensman
Your next project? :p

Nope.
Just 1 of 2 pics of the thing I won on ebay.
The other pic shows a nice flame/exhaust if you're good at identifying real rockets from their plumes!!!!
Or maybe a keen eye can pick out the mountains in the background for an origin.
I think the auction reference to a company was "Allied Signal", although nothing is on the backs of the photos.

Chris Timm

Near the rear is a innard frame that is similar to the Standard Aerobee, Aerobee 150, and even the WAC Corporal. But the diameter is entirely too large for any of these. There is a chance that Aerojet and NASA built this - but thats totally speculation on my part.

Whats odd is the hand painted E-18 on the rear fins - and even moreso that the E-18's were painted haphazardly along the fin line. Compare the size of the E-18 on fin # 2 & 4.

Allied Signal has an Engines Division in the Aerospace - Defense business. They recently merged with Honeywell. So that might be a clue. Perhaps an email to them might stir up a possible hit.

Allied Signal/Engines Division
1944 E. Sky Harbor Circle
Phoenix, AZ 85034
https://www.alliedsignal.com

I certainly don't have access to every missile and rocket image, but even with my larger archive, I can't locate any info or images of this design. Looks like I need to buy the rest of Pete Alway's books - post haste.

Hopefully someone else can clear this up - if all else fails, try posting a message over at Scaleroc, or contact Pete Alway.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Originally posted by stymye
I thumbed thru Gunston's Rockets and missiles

Its not in there.
Most likely its an obscure assemblage of whatever surplus motors and slapped together fin cans they had available.

One "knowledgeable" source suggests it might be a chute deployment test vehicle but thats only a guess.
The fins are non-moveable, and appear to be welded to a sleeve that wraps around the motor casing.

This pic shows the launcher.

Chris Timm

Originally posted by stymye
could it be an early version of the allied signal Sea Snake?

I thought of the Talos (booster) right away, and then wondered why they didn't use the same Talos fins like everyone else does.
It has plenty of take-off thrust (ever seen pics of it launched at an angle of slightly above horizontal?) It shouldn't need bigger fins.

The sustainer casing looks totally odd and hard to place.
I'd guess a Sergeant motor???
The interstage coupler is weird as well.

CTimm

Back