3D Printing TRF Challenge #1: Estes Menace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion (my apologies for being so annoying) is that rules should be clarified and nailed down beforehand. In the contest announcement you said:
Results: Rocksim, Openrocket files, 3d files, or build
So is a build now a requirement?

My suggestion (my apologies for being so annoying) is that rules should be clarified and nailed down beforehand. In the contest announcement you said:

So is a build now a requirement?
No. Just a thread with your parts and designs. Building is a plus.

Impressive work all. I am assembling a team to judge to winner.

Rules to date:
1. Must have a Sim File
2. Must have at least one 3d printed part
3. Files must be posted on the forum with a thread.

Any other suggested rules?
For number 3, do we have to make a new thread for each entry? That seems messy, maybe a single thread for all of them.
As for the rules, I think that’s good.

In my submitted .ork the nosecone is hereby a 3D printed part. The file(s) are posted on the forum in *THIS* thread. Full parts list (which includes things like the shock cord) is included in the .ork file (presume the parachute is of the pre-assembled variety).

Attachments

• Estes Menace (2173).ork
    690.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My entry!

edit I updated the fin to be the correct size.

Attachments

• TRF Challenge #1 display.ork
    3.4 KB · Views: 0
  • TRF Challenge #1 sim.ork
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fin v2.stl
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is my official entry. Attached is a zip file with the OrcaSlicer 3MF, including 9 panels of all parts. It also includes the individual STL files for each unique object in the 3MF file, in case the 3MF file doesn't work.

Some notes:
  • This kit was designed around LOC body/coupler/MMT tubes. If you use something else, you will need to adjust accordingly.
  • All parts have been printed and tested for fitment - the only issue with this version is that the fin tabs are slightly too short. MMT couplers should fix that.
  • All parts were printed using PETG (Polymaker, Elegoo Rapid, and Duramic) and PLA+ for the intake with Duramic brand using a 0.4 nozzle at 0.28 layer height, 100% infill (with some exceptions)
  • Ebay Sled and plug were printed with 20% infill with Cubic pattern
  • Print 4x aft fins, 2x forward fins, 2x rail guides, 2x misc centering rings
  • I print the fins on their sides for max strength but your milage may vary
  • The baffle and spacer/external MMT couplers are optional - I used the long one to fill the gap between fin tab and MMT because I still count with my fingers 🤪
  • Camera mount is optional - if you have a Runcam 4k, its works great. I snake a couple hook-n-loop wire management straps through the side holes and strap it to the top. Most of the onboard footage taken last year on my YT channel was shot using this mount.
  • I have included two zip files, one with just the unique (STL) files and the other (Model) with the ORK , 3MF, and concept art files
That's about all I can think of. This project has been a lot of work but I am really glad for it. Now I have to finish building it. I am planning to fly it on an H210 on the March 17th launch at CRASH in Ft. Lupton.

OrcaSlicer Plates.png

Attachments

• Menace Model Files.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Menace STL Files.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
And here's a hint about the better trick... When you're make an exact clone of a rocket, it's important to have the parts (including the shock cord), the correct shape of the fins, the instructions (or an original to copy from) and the...
I can't believe that nobody cracked this... Parts (including the shock cord), the correct shape of the fins, the instructions (or an original to copy from) and the??? What else do you need to create an exact clone of a kit as it appears? Maybe decals hidden on the (sticker) shock cord???

1709043303368.png

Stock...
1709021949586.png

But Wait... There's MORE...

Stock plus what isn't included...
1709023623419.png

However, if you have one of the older .ork files, you'll find that the black trapezoids were missing... The old files have been replaced with this .ork that has corrected those omissions.

you will need to download the .ork to get the decal files.

Attachments

• Estes Menace (2173).ork
    690.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can't believe that nobody cracked this... Parts (including the shock cord), the correct shape of the fins, the instructions (or an original to copy from) and the??? What else do you need to create an exact clone of a kit as it appears? Maybe decals hidden on the (sticker) shock cord???

Did you ever get hi-res scans of the stock decals?
I am tempted to open one of my sealed kits....

Did you ever get hi-res scans of the stock decals?
I am tempted to open one of my sealed kits....
Mine are 300 DPI. I didn't get any takers on getting a clearer DANGER decal, or the Payback Time decals.

Mine are 300 DPI. I didn't get any takers on getting a clearer DANGER decal, or the Payback Time decals.
Ok, making a scan now but don't think my stock one is much better...the Danger signs say...

VEL ILLUM DOLORE
EU FEUGIAT EU FEUGIAT
NULLA

...here is a pic :p

IMG_20240227_104802578.jpg

Thanks!!!

I can now do the "Caution" and "DANGER" decals. However, the "Payback Time" decals are still not clear enough.

If you're not gonna use them, could you apply one, or both, to a black, or OD green, background and scan just those again?

Thanks Again!!!

I think my scanner sucks :/

Attachments

• PaybackTime300dpi.png
    PaybackTime300dpi.png
    214 KB · Views: 0
  • PaybackTime1200dpi.png
    PaybackTime1200dpi.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks!!! I'm still having trouble sitting at the computer, but I'll get on those as soon as I don't feel like my thighs are on fire when I sit (stupid teflon coated tiles covered in oiled ball bearings (and snow and ice)).

Stock...
[...]

But Wait... There's MORE...

Stock plus what isn't included...
[...]
I made the stock stuff into an SVG so you can scale it as much as you want. I couldn't 100% match all the fonts, but I did the best I could using what I could find. It's better than using the scans.

EDIT: Welll crap the logos got messed up; let me fix it...

EDIT2: Should be fixed.

MenaceStock_previewonly.jpg
Use the attached photo below, extension ".svg" for the vector image... this is just so you can see it has the white bits.

Attachments

• MenaceStock_Vectorized.svg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I corrected the wording. It must be based on the original design but can be altered slightly. It can be the same size or smaller and larger.

I would like ti to have 3d Printer parts also.

I might try to find judges so I can participate.
Probably too altered, but I'll share anyway I tweaked the intake a bit to be more alcm like and it is an rc rg bt-80 based, but was inspired by the Menace225056-878d8881723aa21ece7642347259ba34.jpeg

I made the stock stuff into an SVG so you can scale it as much as you want. I couldn't 100% match all the fonts, but I did the best I could using what I could find. It's better than using the scans.

EDIT: Welll crap the logos got messed up; let me fix it...

EDIT2: Should be fixed.

View attachment 633112
Use the attached photo below, extension ".svg" for the vector image... this is just so you can see it has the white bits.

Nice work!
Cool thing with the svg too is you can clear the fill and add a stroke to give a black outline so could be used on a white rocket.
PaybackSVG.png CautionSVG.png

Since it's all vectors, you can also replace the fill with black or a color that's visible on your rocket. It preserved the layer organization too so you can replace text and stuff as much as you want, change the fonts, etc.

E: just fyi, the fonts I used are

- https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Teko -- For "Caution", "Estes", and "Menace"
- https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Stardos+Stencil -- For "USAF"
- https://www.1001fonts.com/niconne-font.html -- For "Payback Time"
- And the system defaults for Ariel and Ariel Bold for "Danger" and its subtext.

I tweaked the properties for some of them (decreased height, more spacing, italics, anything to match the font more closely to the originals used by estes)

Last edited:
This is all I need.

Jimmy Kimmel Abc GIF by Emmys

I just finished the decals sheet and will be finishing my build today!
Big thanks to @Aeva for the base svg...I added some more. :)

Super Menace Decals.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back