Universal Build of The Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sat%2BV%2BWrap%2B1.jpg

Sat%2BV%2BWrap%2B2.jpg

Finished Lem, the mid payload section was most difficult, I think that the cone wrapping part on my half was kinda sloppy, the bottom potion where you see all that yellow is the exes glue I used

I need to know if i can use wood glue / super glue to put on wrappings, I looked up spray adhesives but was utterly confused as to what i should buy. If you guys know what is best for attaching the plastic wraps to the BT let me know... thanks

I used the middle one....3M 77......spray THIN, let tack up a few minutes, following instructions (glue tacky to transfer), and carefully align. I was able to remove and reposition to fix a mis-alignment. Tip, practice the wrap BEFORE you apply glue. Trim the tunnel areas, so the wrap will follow the curve of the body tube, otherwise, it will cause a flat spot and not lay down. After the 3M dried, I reglued all the seams with liquid plastic cement. I tried some CA and kicker on the areas that lifted, but I found the plastic cement worked better.

Tip, wrap a piece of paper around the Body Tube, and mark a pencil alignment line around the tube to help align the wrap....not sure that is already in the instructions.....I'm working on my morning coffee......

Not to repeat my own goof, finished up the decals. The Flag and USA are centered Left to Right between the white areas and the wraps, the "UNITED STATES" is centered L to R, between the BLACK areas.....those 3 decals are NOT in line vertically. I noticed this AFTER I finished my 4th decal. Oh well. Just waiting to shoot satin clear coat, and I'm calling it done. Pics soon.

Kind of like this video, but not really.
Shake the crap out of the can. I used 77. It will spray out in a mist, not like the 90 shown in the video.
Let it tack up about a minute or two (read instructions on can). Start a little at a time, if your wrap is going on crooked, stop, pull off gently, and reposition. Not really that difficult. Go over the edges with liquid plastic cement when you are done.

Back