Two questions about older motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghp3

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm a BAR with a couple of questions about some older motors.

First question: I just bought a set of circa 1996 Aerotech reloadable motor casings and closures (29mm and 38mm) from someone who hasn't been active in rocketry for quite awhile. When I was inspecting the aft (nozzle-end) closures it was clear that they were of a slightly different design than the current closures. Specifically, the opening for the nozzle was narrower than the current closures. However, when I test fit the closures, they seemed to fit over the current nozzles just fine.

So my first question for any long time rocketeers out there is can anyone confirm that these older closures will still work on current RMS reload kits? I know I could buy replacements, but if they work, why bother. The cases and forward closures don't seem to be any different than the current design.

Second question: Also included in this lot were a few older motors, include a 1990 Vulcan F40-9 single use motor. I've vaguely heard of Vulcan motors, but have never encountered one. Can anyone give me any info about these motors? Should I fly it, hang on to it, or toss it?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

George
TRA 10752

Originally posted by ghp3 So my first question for any long time rocketeers out there is can anyone confirm that these older closures will still work on current RMS reload kits? I know I could buy replacements, but if they work, why bother?
The old aft closure will work with many reloads, but nozzles from some of the newer reloads won't fit in them and require the enlarged opening of the new closure.

You can compare the old closure to the new it sounds like you may have the new one?

The "old" is really not that old at all, I dont know the exact date but I recall hearing about it when it was somewhat new after I got into HPR and that was only 3-4 years ago...

The following reloads need the newer large opening closure:
All 38/1080.
All 39/720.
38/600: I435T, I366R.
38/480: I1299N.
38/360: H999N.
Probably the 38/240 H699N also needs it.
The rest can use either closure as they use the smaller (5/8") nozzles.

Send the old motors to me right away.I'll make sure they get disposed of properly

Originally posted by pyrovette20
Send the old motors to me right away.I'll make sure they get disposed of properly

Thanks, but I think I can handle that!:D

BTW: I do have a motor casing set with the new closures, this was purchased to be a back-up/additional/potential clustering set. I had never seen the old-style closures before and got nervous that they wouldn't work. It appears that they will work with most of the H and smaller I reloads which is fine.

I wasn't expecting the old Vulcan motor, it was in the box with some other stuff and the guy who was selling them said, "It's yours if you want it."

George
TRA 10752

I think the old closure should work with 90% of the reloads available.

The newer high thrust motors and a couple of the higher total impulse loads do require larger nozzles. Those probably require the newer closures.

Originally posted by ghp3
Second question: Also included in this lot were a few older motors, include a 1990 Vulcan F40-9 single use motor. I've vaguely heard of Vulcan motors, but have never encountered one.
This is a good motor. I still have a couple. It's Smoky Sam, like fast Black Jack. The delay will probably be accurate but shake it to be sure the ejection charge is still there (the cap can warp and let it out). It is a core burner and fairly easy to light. Any igniter you would use for Aerotech is OK. It was never certified so you can't fly it at a TRA/NAR sanctioned launch.

Back