29mm Floating Forward Closure Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebbst

Reaction score
I was looking at aerotech's website and I had a question that couldn't be answered with the resources that they provided, so I'm hoping that someone with more experience than me can chime in.

The 29mm reload adapter system comes with a floating forward closure, and I want to know if you can use those instead of a normal forward closure even if you aren't using the reload adapter system. The entire RAS only costs a bit more than a normal forward closure, and if it was possible to use the floating forward closure instead of the normal one I could get the RAS, the 360 newtons 29mm case, and an aft closure, and be able to fly all the 29mm HPR motors while saving 60 bucks on a forward closure.

If it's not possible then that's chill but I figured I would ask since I couldn't find out the answer.

I was looking at aerotech's website and I had a question that couldn't be answered with the resources that they provided, so I'm hoping that someone with more experience than me can chime in.

The 29mm reload adapter system comes with a floating forward closure, and I want to know if you can use those instead of a normal forward closure even if you aren't using the reload adapter system. The entire RAS only costs a bit more than a normal forward closure, and if it was possible to use the floating forward closure instead of the normal one I could get the RAS, the 360 newtons 29mm case, and an aft closure, and be able to fly all the 29mm HPR motors while saving 60 bucks on a forward closure.

If it's not possible then that's chill but I figured I would ask since I couldn't find out the answer.
You can use it instead of a normal one piece forward closure.

Huh, I wish I had realized that before I bought both plugged threaded closures and floating plugged threaded closures for a few motor sizes. Oh well, having hardware on hand never hurts.

Huh, I wish I had realized that before I bought both plugged threaded closures and floating plugged threaded closures for a few motor sizes. Oh well, having hardware on hand never hurts.
So...the floating forward closure can only be used in place of the standard ejection charge style closure, if you need a special forward closure (and there are several in 54mm especially), like a plugged (threaded or not), extended, etc then you need the closure called for the floating closure may not be used instead in most case (all cases if warranty becomes involved).

So...the floating forward closure can only be used in place of the standard ejection charge style closure, if you need a special forward closure (and there are several in 54mm especially), like a plugged (threaded or not), extended, etc then you need the closure called for the floating closure may not be used instead in most case (all cases if warranty becomes involved).
Well the plugged/threaded closure is used in place of the standard closure too. It's identical to the standard closure except that it lacks the charge well or the blast hole through the front. There is a plugged/threaded closure for the RAS also, which appears to be the same as the normal RAS closure aside from changes identical to those which differentiate non-RAS plugged/threaded from non-RAS standard closures.

Well the plugged/threaded closure is used in place of the standard closure too. It's identical to the standard closure except that it lacks the charge well or the blast hole through the front. There is a plugged/threaded closure for the RAS also, which appears to be the same as the normal RAS closure aside from changes identical to those which differentiate non-RAS plugged/threaded from non-RAS standard closures.

I have (2) 29mm RAS and neither came with a plugged forward closure section, nor have I seen one for sale. Where did you see one?

I have the STD FWD closures as well because hoarder problems (lol) as well as the threaded. Never hurts to have excess hardware. Right @jd2cylman ?? ;) 🥳🤠

I have (2) 29mm RAS and neither came with a plugged forward closure section, nor have I seen one for sale. Where did you see one?

I have the STD FWD closures as well because hoarder problems (lol) as well as the threaded. Never hurts to have excess hardware. Right @jd2cylman ?? ;) 🥳🤠
38mm: https://aerotech-rocketry.com/produ...0f22-dead71d1381b?_pos=1&_sid=45423c2c4&_ss=r

54mm: https://aerotech-rocketry.com/produ...da72-385e1039f277?_pos=1&_sid=5484ab047&_ss=r

I recently ordered these, but they've not yet arrived, so I can't tell you any more than's on the catalog pages.

I don't believe there is a 29mm equivalent.

Edit to add: I've not actually reviewed the 38mm and 54mm RAS instructions to see if the RAS floating closure can be used with no spacer in place of the standard closure with 38 and 54 as the above posts show it can be with 29. The first I knew of the latter was in reading this thread an hour ago.

Edit to add 2: my apologies for muddying the water with 38 and 54mm parts. :) I was simply surprised this could be done at all.

Last edited:
Edit to add: I've not actually reviewed the 38mm and 54mm RAS instructions to see if the RAS floating closure can be used with no spacer in place of the standard closure with 38 and 54 as the above posts show it can be with 29. The first I knew of the latter was in reading this thread an hour ago.

You can on all of them, I have all the RAS kits and use the floater as a std FWD closure all the time on my reloads from 29 to 75. :)

The RAS are really handy when you have a big launch coming up and prep motors beforehand since they can be used as normal FWD closures. If you have the STD and the RAS, you effectively have (2) sets of FWD's.

I misunderstood you on the 29mm BTW. I thought you said there WAS one.

OK! Back on track! 🙃

You can on all of them, I have all the RAS kits and use the floater as a std FWD closure all the time on my reloads from 29 to 75. :)

The RAS are really handy when you have a big launch coming up and prep motors beforehand since they can be used as normal FWD closures. If you have the STD and the RAS, you effectively have (2) sets of FWD's.

I misunderstood you on the 29mm BTW. I thought you said there WAS one.

OK! Back on track! 🙃
Nay, misunderstanding was mine in not understanding the subject was diameter specific.

And yes, RAS look to be useful. So far my flight and recycle rate is low enough that I don't actually need the RAS to maximize use of my somewhat haphazard case collection (mostly bought in lots from people moving up in size or from A to C, or out of rocketry, or to research cases). But I have RAS sets running out my ears, and I do expect to make good use of them at some point. :cool:

If you want a plugged motor, just don't put the BP ejection charge into the motor. If you are worried about back lighting the delay, cover the well with tape. Do put in the delay.

Back