Troubleshooting a broken dryer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never put a used part back in.

I lesson learned the hard way that almost cost me a trip to Balls and got me pulled over along the way to boot. All due to alternator that the NAPA guy tested and said was good.
Stupidest $80 I've ever "saved."
Hmm. As a general rule I disagree with that. As an example, in the context of used OEM parts vs aftermarket with most auto parts.

At a quick glance, I'm not finding anything in this dryer that resembles the start capacitors in hobie1dog's video or others I've found online. Could it be integrated into the motor itself?

Here's what I see:
View attachment 631301View attachment 631302
This is 100% what the inside of my Samsung dryer looks like, to the point where I can see component labels and such......100%. Motor, solenoids, control box components, even the wiring harness and connector colors! I was just in it again Sunday afternoon.

Mine is 8 years old, and eats roller wheels, especially the back left and front right. My appliance repair guy taught me how to replace them myself so now an annual replacement set costs my $20 from Amazon and about 45 minutes vice $75 service call and $125 in parts. He tells me that he's busier than ever, and making money hand over fist.

I read a recent article from Forbes that said that the average lifespan of so called 'durable goods as it relates to appliances' was down from the 10-15 year standard for appliances from the early 2000s to a mean of about 7.something (based on some huge data collection they did on service calls), and they were advocating for a change in definition and policy because of it. Fridges and stoves lasted the longest, washers and dryers the least, and things like dish washers somewhere in the middle.

They said that the manufacturers claim that things don't last as long because of the steps they have to take to meet efficiency standards balanced against cost balanced against durability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back