Built an innovative device to help putting epoxy on carbon/glass fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azadulhaq

Reaction score
Those of you who had ever tried putting epoxy on a tube would know the pain :) To make life easier, I built this device. It has a variable motor that can rotate from zero rpm to a couple of hundred rpm. The cone attachment on the power side is fixed. The other side can glide smoothly on two 3/4 inch SS rods. It has nuts on the bottom to tighten and also it can be fine tuned. The cones are lathed from aluminum blocks and can allow to hold any tube from 1/4 inch to 3.75 inch.
So when you want to put epoxy on any tube, you affix the tube. Then your hands are free. Hold the carbon/glass fiber clothes/tapes at an angle, run the device at a slow rpm. It will wrap the clothes nicely. Then apply your epoxy. After curing, you can use the higher rpm to sand finish it by simply holding the different grit of sand paper.

Let me know your comments what you think about this innovation. I call it PVC wrapper.

Attachments

• PVC wrapper-1.jpg
    PVC wrapper-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • PVC wrapper-2.jpg
    PVC wrapper-2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I started off doing just as you did right here. I mounted a 1hp electric motor to a 2x12 board and made an adjustable tailstock for length. It was awesome for doing a layup (I used cloth, not tape) and following up with sanding and scrim-coating all in place.

1684249981348.png

I grew hungry for a new challenge and more versatility and thus:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/ive-gone-off-the-deep-end-working-on-a-filament-winder.165266/

I have the rotation axis up and running on my V4 winder. Once I have the X-axis running, I think I'll post a video update.

Back