Tripoli Wisconsin @ Bong September 17th & 18th (tomorrow)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreuB1

Reaction score
Anyone going?

Planning on making it up there at least tomorrow. Possibly Sunday as well.

Want to fly the things I did not get to fly at Airfest.

I have everything prepped so all I need to do is fly.

My two 29mm and 38mm upgraded Big Daddy's, both on G power.
Estes Der Big Red Max on E26W Q-Jet power.
Nike-Apache 2-stager on an I599N to a G138T.
5" Super Jart on a K1499N.

Alas, apples call. I’m watching the wind forecast for tomorrow carefully. Maybe I’ll be able to get my Talos Terrier up on its first flight.

Was a great day today at Bong!! There was a LOT of low level wind shear at around 1-2k which was blowing a lot of rockets far off to the north. Which meant LOTS of bushwhacking. Was still a great time though and the shear slowed down a bit as the day went on.

First flight for me was the Estes Big Daddy with the Vanderburn 29mm upgrade goods and my special nosecone mods. Flew that on a G25W to 1900' (if flying straight up.....) which weather cocked instantly and flew off to the south OVER the stand of trees that eats rockets. Thankfully that wind shear grabbed it and flung it a 1/4 mile to the north, nearly to the road! I was bush whacking for 45min until I finally found it. Motor eject and no tracker was a mistake...... It had my 29/120 Monster Motors hardware in it so I was NOT losing it.

Second flight was my Estes Big Daddy with the Vanderburn 38mm upgrades and my special nose cone mods. Flew that on a G61W in the 38mm 'shot glass' case, also to 1900', but this time I was smart and put a Jolly Rancher on the chute set to 200'. After a snuffed igniter (my first EVER!), I stuck a Tim lilun in it and off it went to what looked like another shot over the trees. Great flight and this time, the chute released offered up a nice landing about 10' off the road next to the rocket eating ponds next to the pads. You don't fly Bong, Bong flies you, and you MUST have the kit on hand to adapt to what she throws at you.

Third flight was my 5" Wildman Super Jart setup for dual deploy HED and put that up and off to 3500' (juuuuuuust under the clouds) on a K1499N. God, I love that motor. Off in an instant, a 15lb rocket is nothing for that motor. Off and over the tree line with a perfect apogee deploy of my 72" TFR streamer and a nice drift to the east by the dog runs and a perfect chute at 300' and landing just south of the ponds. Barely needed the tracker. There was a whole group of cub(boy?)scouts there and were having a heck of a time on the LPR pads. I had to put the Jart up on the K1499N for them, they went nuts and it was great to see their excitement. Two moms came up to me and thanked me for the entertainment and that their boys will be talking about that for weeks. I told them, that's what part of this is all about. Showmanship is part of the game and showing the crowd a good time, along with having a good time ourselves.

Was going to fly the 2-stager but it was just too windy and didn't want to risk any issues with finding the sustainer.

Thanks as always to Tripoli Wisconsin for a great time!!

Last edited:
Back