TRF Contest: Fly The Logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Announcing our newest contest -- Fly The Logo

The rules are simple -- build your version of the rocket in the new TRF logo, post pictures, and fly it successfully.

Okay, now for the nitty gritty...

1) Open to any size motor from MMX - Q; build the size that makes you happy.
2) You must post pictures of your completed rocket, including at least two launch photos -- one liftoff/flight photo, and one post flight/recovery photo. No need to document the whole build.
3) Entries must have at least one successful flight.
4) The contest will be judged based on how closely it adheres to the design of the logo rocket. It'll be judged by me.
5) The contest is open to every user of the forum.
6) Entries must be posted by the last day of June 2012.

What does the winner get? I'm still working on that, but it'll be worthwhile, trust me. If the new TRF rocket kit is available by then, at the least, the winner will receive one of the first (numbered!) kits produced.

More details on prizes as I get it sorted out. Minimum value will be $50 retail.

-Kevin

hmmm.... ok!
....and now for another of my questions probably nobody but me would ask:
'IF' I make a paper design; since your posting imples that you have a production kit in the works, would this be one I would need to keep a cardstock version strictly to myself? Just making sure I dance nicely and not step on your toes Kev. :D
Eric:)

hmmm.... ok!
....and now for another of my questions probably nobody but me would ask:
'IF' I make a paper design; since your posting imples that you have a production kit in the works, would this be one I would need to keep a cardstock version strictly to myself? Just making sure I dance nicely and not step on your toes Kev. :D

Yes, I would prefer that the details required to build your version not be published. Some build photos showing progress would be cool, but templates, all the details, etc, preferably not.

The reason being that I've got a manufacturer working on a kit, and obviously, he'd like to be able to sell some, to make it worth his time. :)

Thanks for asking.

-Kevin

The reason being that I've got a manufacturer working on a kit, and obviously, he'd like to be able to sell some, to make it worth his time.
A kit accurate to the logo would be cool. 24 or 29 mm? BTW, love the new retro-logo.

Do you have a high-er resolution copy of the image? Did you actually do any simulations to check stability? Any chance for a simulation file?

BTW, love the new retro-logo.

Flash Gordon would be proud!

Blog-Flash-3_8-13-2007.jpg

dpower said:
A kit accurate to the logo would be cool. 24 or 29 mm? BTW, love the new retro-logo.

Not sure, yet. If there's sufficient interest, I'm betting "the kit guy" will do it in multiple sizes.

rockets4kids said:
Do you have a high-er resolution copy of the image? Did you actually do any simulations to check stability? Any chance for a simulation file?

I don't plan to release a higher resolution version of the logo.

I've not done any sims - the logo was created by a graphic artist, so I make no promises or claims on what is required to make it stable.

I've not done any sims - the logo was created by a graphic artist, so I make no promises or claims on what is required to make it stable.

great a contest with stability issues from the guy that flys buckets. :eyeroll: im in

great a contest with stability issues from the guy that flys buckets. :eyeroll: im in

Hey, I didn't say it was going to be an easy contest.... :D

Building something that looks like the logo is easy. Building one that flies and recovers properly? That adds a wrinkle. :)

-Kevin

Randall Redd (NAR prefect in Salt Lake City) built and flew this at last year's Hellfire event at Bonneville Salt Flats. It was absolutely gorgeous. (and as you can see, Randall builds a lot of very cool rockets - some with....er, "challenging" stability issues to say the least). Anywho, it flew just fine. Unfortunately, it had some recovery problems and came in ballistic - completely destroying it.

P1020416.jpg

And if anyone here hasn't yet, you MUST check out the Vatsaas Brothers website. LOTS of rockets with similiar stability challenges - some much more so. And also some great info on how to go about designing/building/flying stuff like this. Their launch record with this sort of thing is pretty impressive (including a few spectacular failures).

Wish I had the time, but I doubt I'll be building an entry into the contest myself (though I did already do a basic RockSim for it - one that simmed to 1100' on an H motor).

s6

I've seen lots of pictures of Randall's creations, and have always been impressed by what he builds.

Seems like if you had a lathe, you could turn the whole fuselage out of balsa, drill a MMT sized hole through it, add fins, and be done. It would have to be pretty small, but it would work.
I'd love to take a bash at this logo rocket thing, but I don't know how I'd make that curved body with my limited skills and resources. We'll see. :)

Yes, I would prefer that the details required to build your version not be published. Some build photos showing progress would be cool, but templates, all the details, etc, preferably not.

The reason being that I've got a manufacturer working on a kit, and obviously, he'd like to be able to sell some, to make it worth his time. :)

Thanks for asking.

-Kevin

You got it Boss!
Time to go to work-er-hobbying!:)

Heck thats what makes this a fun contest... anyone can build a PROVEN design..

Well, I've been thinking about this, and I think I am going to have to pass on this one, due to my lack of materials, tools, and skills necessary to build the curved body. Oh well. :(
Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with! :fly:

Got a jump start on this one It just so happens your logo looks like MY rocket!:eyeroll:

Been working on for several weeks. Already has a 38mm hole in it!

AND it's NASA approved AND it's a nite rocket with LED's in the fins.

DSCN0353.jpg

I, too, thought about making a card stock model, but I figured that it would take about 20 transitions, which was way to many for me to make it look good.
Given the difficulty of the design, and Blackjack2564's post, I think this may end up being (except for the HPR people who make moulds and built it out of fiberglass) a contest of who can find and covert something that looks the most like the logo. We'll see.

Got a jump start on this one It just so happens your logo looks like MY rocket!:eyeroll:

CJ! STOP STEALING THE NEIGHBOR KIDS' TOYS!!!!

Cool rocket.....but who is that creepy guy in the background with the camera??

Given the difficulty of the design, and Blackjack2564's post, I think this may end up being (except for the HPR people who make moulds and built it out of fiberglass) a contest of who can find and covert something that looks the most like the logo. We'll see.

Don't give up on my account. Rocket is in Savannah, I'm in Ohio and probably stuck here at least until the deadline, due to family issues.
CJ! STOP STEALING THE NEIGHBOR KIDS' TOYS!!!!

It was the 7yr old neighbor kid the had her mom get the 'Rocket Man" this little jewel for his birthday.

Cool rocket.....but who is that creepy guy in the background with the camera??

That's the "Ghost" that inhabits my domicile.

Back