Traveling Rocket thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings all,

Looks like it was finally my turn! I received it a couple days ago and was very excited to look through the box. I went ahead and cleaned out the body tube with a motor brush and will be cleaning up a few more things after I launch it(hopefully in the next few days). I'll be going with a C engine initially to keep it low around my house. Then, if no one has an issue with it, I'll bring it up to north Louisiana for our club launch at the end of the month. There, I'l try to get it flown on a composite D engine(not sure which yet). However, if we want to keep things moving quickly and get more launches before deep winter hits, I'll gladly just send it along after the first launch. What say you?

DeepOvertone - no one answered you in over a week. I think silence is consent. My vote is for you to keep it an extra week and fly it at your club launch. I hope you have blue skies, and calm winds!

Seems like this thread has gone cold again. So I'll just jump in a bit.
We have had to skip two Hosts so far, there has been no response from either of them. I have placed them on hold until I receive a response. I have been reaching out to the Host-on-deck prior to messaging the next in line just to help speed things along.
@teepot will be next in line. After that here is the order:
@boatgeek
@Culprit
@n3tjm
Then it will come back to me and start all over again up to the point we are back at Mr Drown, who built this iteration. I am taking myself out of rotation until I get things sorted out (see below if interested).

@DeepOvertone hopes to fly it this weekend here in Louisiana. If he flies Sunday I may can make it but we will discuss that. So far the weather looks great. If I am able to attend the launch then I will go ahead and fly it to get my turn out of the way, or we will fly it as a team. This is our last launch of the year and we will resume flying again in the spring. I am hosting a Halloween party for my offspring and her little friends Friday and Trick-or-Treating Saturday. I may can slip up there and fly it Saturday morning but I am looking at drive 2.5 hours, maybe have 2 hours on the field then drive back 2.5 hours. Probably not gonna happen. I have pretty much shelved all my rocket stuff for the time being.

So now since no one asked:
Back in May I had LASIK surgery. It has been a living nightmare ever since. Blurry vision, double/triple vision, dry eyes, burning eyes. I went from bad far-sighted to nearly just as bad near-sighted. And I still wear glasses, just for near-sightedness. The Dr can go back and "enhance" my eyes once they settle but my right eye isn't cooperating at all. Readings/numbers are all over the place. Prior to surgery my right eye was my worse and still is. Never could quite it get it clear with glasses, and now it seems surgery may not even be able to fix it. I went to a pretty dark place there for a week or so, I thought I was going to lose vision in my right eye. I can't see the rockets in the air so there is no use flying them. As a result, I have shelved my rocket stuff. With everything I had going on with my rockets and e bays (I was working on a modular E bay system and even a home-brew groundstation), I got disorganized and let it overwhelm me, meanwhile long hours at work, and being forced to take the COVID vaccine or lose my job......

I am not leaving the hobby. I still love building rockets and undersimplifying them to the point of ludacrisnous. I still love flying rockets. I just can't. I really do feel much better after putting the hobby on the back burner. Don't always feel like I need to be working on a rocket, or designing something, or printing something. Sheesh.

On a happier note. I paid off my mortgage in July. So now I own 11 acres of Louisiana and a semi decent mobile home. Had originally planned to get my L3 when that was achieved but went a different route.
20210922_085505.jpg
When I am on this, I am relaxed. My first one and I love it. And the near-wife's KIA will be paid off this spring and then I get my shop (hopefully). By then my eyes will be where they are gonna be and I will know more about my future with rockets.

Thanks folks.
Mikey D

Sorry to hear about your vision issues. That really sucks. Here's hoping you can get back to the field before long!

I sent a PM with my schedule. Hopefully that fits in.

So now since no one asked:
Back in May I had LASIK surgery. It has been a living nightmare ever since.

I'm very sorry to hear that. You'll be in our thoughts.

Seems like this thread has gone cold again. So I'll just jump in a bit.
We have had to skip two Hosts so far, there has been no response from either of them.

I watched the combines pick up the peanuts across the road last night and the cotton was baled up last weekend:

Peanut harvest.png

Which means I can fly again soon- I'm planning a shakedown flight for my L2 rocket in a couple of weeks, to be ready for cert flight at the end of November. So, I can go back in rotation.

When I am on this, I am relaxed.

Nice!

I am not leaving the hobby. I still love building rockets and undersimplifying them to the point of ludacrisnous. I still love flying rockets.

That's good to hear. Stay positive and keep your chin up, it will be better in time.

I wanted to join the fun, but with my luck I'd blow it up on the pad and then the pieces would get vaporized in a powerline for good measure.

@MikeyDSlagle I'm sorry to hear about your vision - I will pray that it heals up quickly! But congratulations on paying off your mortgage!

@DeepOvertone did you have a chance to fly Wanderer 2.0 this weekend? I hope you had good weather and a great flight!

Happy November, everyone.

@DeepOvertone did you have a chance to fly Wanderer 2.0 this weekend? I hope you had good weather and a great flight!

Unfortunately, no I did not. I had fully planned to go to the club launch but work got in the way. Things have been really crazy for me since Hurricane IDA devastated the southeast coast of Louisiana. That being said, I'm going to try to fly it locally in the next few days and if not, I'll just send it on its way to the next recipient because I dont want to keep it locked down. If I have to do that, maybe it can make its way back to me after everyone has had their turn. If not thats ok, I'll be glad that I got to give it a nice warm place to stay for a couple weeks. Thanks everyone!

Good Morning Everyone,

I apologize for holding on to the wanderer for so long. I was really hoping life would allow me a window to get this thing flown. I guess that was mostly a pipe dream. Work and other life issues have had me too busy to mess with anything rocketry related in almost a year now. Anyway, I packed up the wanderer and filled out the log book this morning. I'm ready to ship it on to the next care taker without having flown it myself. Oh well, maybe I'll be more ready once it makes a complete lap through everybody. I'll be in touch with Mike to get the next address and I'll be sending it out ASAP.

Apologies here as well, for not staying on top of this. I've hit em up on the back channels and it should be moving again soon.

@tsmith1315
I'll inject you back into rotation after @n3tjm, then it will start over. Good luck on your L2!! Hope all goes well.

@Wally Ferrer How was the delay on the D15-7 flight? I have some D15-4s in stock but don't want to be too early. If the -7 was a little after apogee, then I should be OK. I also have a few E18s that look like they'll work as well.

[edit] I went back to @Wally Ferrer's video, and the -7 was definitely a hair late, so I think I'm good. Maybe a bit before apogee, but shouldn't be bad.

Hi everybody! Just checking in. Have you had a chance to fly The Wanderer yet, @teepot ? If so, I hope it was a great flight for you.

The Wanderer has safely arrived in rainy Seattle, where it looks like there'll be a break in the weather on Sunday. That means it's flying time! I should get at lesat one flight out, likely with the able assistance of @BEC, who might fly it himself. Assuming all goes well, it'll be on the road again early next week.

(Teepot, I'll let you speak for yourself)

I thought I did this already. I got to fly it twice. We had perfect flying weather for a week. The first flight I thought I turned on the FS altimeter but I didn't. The second time, the next day, I had figured out the FS. I also put in a JL altimeter 3 and a chute release. It flew to 1745' on a F44-8. That was the largest motor I could use and have the right delay. The flight was perfect. Straight up and out of sight. The chute release let go at 500' and The Wanderer landed softly 100' from the pad. It has been great fun to participate in The Traveling Rocket. I waited in anticipation of getting to fly and then we had perfect weather. To all the participants thank you.

Dave

I met @boatgeek at Sixty Acres late this morning for some flying on a fairly calm and pretty sunny day (quite the contrast from the wind and rain of yesterday). Between us we made two flights of the Wanderer 2.0. For the first one, he used a rather aged F24W E18W reload in a 24/40 case. He’d done some scraping on the propellant in the slot, knowing the reputation of White Lightning to be more than a little reluctant to light.
0AF34B4C-77C3-4369-9153-28A9C11B2ED7.jpeg

The result was partially successful. After clearing a short in the clips across the stop at the bottom of his rail (a little masking tape for insulation on the rail stop), the motor did light, then go out, then light, then go out, then light, then go out, then light enough to get the rocket moving up the rail, only to go out again just as it cleared the top. Then, it lit once more as the intrepid little rocket started to arc over, spitting the nozzle, taking the aft closure and the screw-on retainer ring with it. The Wanderer then fell back to terra firma, which thanks to rains of late, wasn’t all that firm. It stuck the landing (at a jaunty angle). The FS Mini never got high enough to trigger launch detection, but since it keeps a sort of real-time height log while it’s waiting to fly, we do have an apogee value: 27 feet.

Here’s the flight video I took in slow motion (240 fps) with my iPhone 7+:

Last edited:
Back