Tommorows U.L.A Delta IV launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyspike1

Reaction score
Excited to see United Launch Alliance Delta IV rocket launch tomorrow night. Can't make it up to Cape Kennedy to watch it there, looks like I'll be watching launch from my rooftop AGAIN. Hope the weather's clear, usually night launches are Awesome spectacles to see even from 60 miles south. ULA's live webcasts make it nice to watch countdown, then trek to our "rooftop observation" spot for liftoff and flight.
Too bad they've delayed launch of the Falcon9 rocket w/Dragon capsule from Feb 9, That's one launch I WILL be driving up to K.S.C. to SEE and FEEL! It's not quite the Shuttle Program, (Not even close!) but it is a start in the right direction. America shouldn't have to depend on "Hitchhiking" on Russian Souyuez rockets or launches from countries ending with "stan" I Really, Really MISS our Shuttle Program.
I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from "Space Shuttle" withdrawel ??

Excited to see United Launch Alliance Delta IV rocket launch tomorrow night. Can't make it up to Cape Kennedy to watch it there, looks like I'll be watching launch from my rooftop AGAIN. Hope the weather's clear, usually night launches are Awesome spectacles to see even from 60 miles south. ULA's live webcasts make it nice to watch countdown, then trek to our "rooftop observation" spot for liftoff and flight.
Too bad they've delayed launch of the Falcon9 rocket w/Dragon capsule from Feb 9, That's one launch I WILL be driving up to K.S.C. to SEE and FEEL! It's not quite the Shuttle Program, (Not even close!) but it is a start in the right direction. America shouldn't have to depend on "Hitchhiking" on Russian Souyuez rockets or launches from countries ending with "stan" I Really, Really MISS our Shuttle Program.
I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering from "Space Shuttle" withdrawel ??

Agree... hope to make it to Florida for a launch of *something* *someday*. Hoped to get over there for the final shuttle flight but things just didn't work out... stayed up all night at the MIL's house in Indiana, with the live coverage on NASA TV in the living room and the feed from the shuttle website on NASA.com on the computer, moving back and forth between the computer in the kitchen (don't ask) to the living room TV set all night...

I dunno... what I consider the REAL travesty was, the shuttle was ordered "retired by 2010" all the way back in 2004... yet instead of working toward a replacement launch capability, even if only an "interim" one (say like Atlas V Heavy with an Orion block one on it) they threw everything into Lunar/Mars Orion, and Ares I and V, and basically planned to pay for it by dumping ISS into the Pacific in 2016, after spending $100 billion bucks and 13 years and DOZENS of shuttle flights to build the thing... and after stringing along the international partners with unfulfilled promises throughout...

It's not like NASA has never developed an "interim capability" before... heck the entire project Gemini was basically in interim program to gain experience and knowledge and keep the space program moving after Mercury was completed and until Apollo was ready 5 years later... So they enlarged and improved the Mercury capsule plans for the "Mercury Mark II" into the Gemini spacecraft, and man-rated the Titan II missile to loft it into space. No reason that couldn't have been done again, using Atlas V this time... (just as Mercury originally used the old Atlas I for its booster). Water under the bridge now I guess...

Thing is, shuttle was a BIG risk... in 2003-4 when the decision to retire shuttle was made, it was figured that the risk of losing another shuttle between then and its scheduled retirement in 2010 was about 50-50... those ain't good odds! Shuttle was expensive, and it was fragile... and really getting BADLY outdated... most of it's electronics systems were state of the art-- in the MID 70s!!! To really update shuttle to "modern" standards and equipment would have cost billions... plus the airframes were going to need a complete inspection, refurbishment, and recertification to continue flying anyway, another multi-billion dollar program. Shuttle was an amazing vehicle, but a fundamentally flawed one in several ways that NEVER lived up to its intented purpose and plans and promises... basically it started as an experimental vehicle and finished as an experimental vehicle... an experimental vehicle originally meant to be replaced after about 15-20 years (in the early 90's) that continued on for 30 years... and had Columbia not been lost, would probably have continued with NOTHING else on the horizon for another 10-20 years... (or until another shuttle was lost, and the decision to retire it became obvious-- just a matter of timing).

Even now, with Orion in ground testing and continued development, and Ares I and V canceled and replaced with the "new" SLS, with no test flights until basically the end of this decade, all we hear about it "commercial crew launches" and "leaving it to industry to launch astronauts to the station." Of course at the same time, Congress is slashing funding to CCDev (commercial crew development) which is going to slow the process considerably. Heck I even read recently on space.com that NASA "hopes" that *some* commercial companies will be able to launch crews BY 2017 . This is already a slip on their purported intent at NASA to have commercial crews launching around 2015... but, "no bucks, no Buck Rogers" still applies... companies NEED NASA seed money to really be able to do this... grandiose 'space tourism and space hotels' plans notwithstanding...

The whole situation was just unnecessarily handled very badly... and what's worse it CONTINUES TO BE...

I'll risk a little prognostication and say, that it won't surprise me one bit if this country ends up totally precluded from manned spaceflight. I can see this happening in several ways... If the Russians end up their string of bad luck having an actual Soyuz abort (they have in the past) with an American crew aboard, there's going to be some hard questions asked from Capitol Hill... if a crew is lost or severely injured in such an abort, it's going to be VERY difficult to continue putting US astronauts on Soyuz. If the ISS was to get damaged or holed by space junk or suffer some severe equipment failure that rendered it uninhabitable, ESPECIALLY with no LARGE cargo/equipment launch capability to repair it in the pipeline (no shuttle doesn't count, because as it is right now, even if the shuttle was ordered back into service tomorrow, it would be YEARS before it could fly again, and BILLIONS of dollars to recreate the supply chain and infrastructure, design/build/test/certify/recertify replacement equipment, not the least of which is the External Tank, much of which the tooling has been torn out by now, and SRB's, which the old four-segment shuttle SRB's are no longer capable of being produced, and the five segment SRB's are still in testing (and when certified COULD be used without a center section, making them a four segment). Flight spares for the equipment most likely to fail were flown up on shuttle and stowed at the station, but if something unexpected quit... especially if it's something large that just won't fit on anything else... (or would have to be redesigned to fly on another vehicle, like Proton, Ariane, Delta IV, or Atlas V... all of which would take MONTHS or years to accomplish, and probably a billion bucks or more...) IF something like this happened, ISS would likely be abandoned and de-orbited, since its orbital lifetime while unmanned and in hibernation mode is limited... it would probably be very easy to see the US simply let manned spaceflight wither to nothingness in a sea of "maybe someday" grandiose plans with nothing concrete being done... If the US/Russian relations get frosty, over say us deciding to intervene in Syria or the Russians pulling out the stops and helping Iran overtly (or both) then we could quickly find ourselves no longer welcome to launch aboard Soyuz... and without a ride whatsoever for at least several years... this isn't as far-fetched as it might sound... stranger things have happened. And fast-tracking Orion and *some* booster to carry it will only help SO much... it'll still take several years and a few billion from the word "GO!" to actually get something to the pad ready to carry crews...

Oh well, Congress/NASA seem content to "fix the barn door after the horses are gone" so we're stuck with it, whatever happens...

Later! OL JR :)

It amazes me no end that the ISS has been up there all these years and has never been hit by some bit of junk that blows through it like a 30-06 round through a beer can. Actually with a potential impact velocity of better than 14 miles per second the above analogy is sadly lacking.

As for the future of manned space flight; at this point it looks like we had all best learn Mandarin.

On the other hand China’s space program could come to a screeching halt if the “tea leaf readers” prognostications about China’s economy and its future come to pass.

It amazes me no end that the ISS has been up there all these years and has never been hit by some bit of junk that blows through it like a 30-06 round through a beer can. Actually with a potential impact velocity of better than 14 miles per second the above analogy is sadly lacking.

As for the future of manned space flight; at this point it looks like we had all best learn Mandarin.

On the other hand China’s space program could come to a screeching halt if the “tea leaf readers” prognostications about China’s economy and its future come to pass.
ISS has been hit several times by orbital debris, but fortunately the debris has not been large enough to penetrate the pressure hull. All large debris laeger than 10 cm is tracked by radar ans the ISS is moved once every year or two to insure that it clears large debris that is predicted to come too close for comfort.

Several shuttles have also been hit by orbital debris.

BTW - The impact of a 1 gram debris particle would have 5 times the muzzle energy of a 0.50 caliber round, but since the velocity is 10 times greater than a 0.50 caliber round, both the particle and impacted object are turned into a cloud of debris traveling at hypervelocity within the cabin. Not good for an austronaut.

Bob

Last edited:
I just saw the launch a few minutes ago from our back yard. We're about 30 miles south west and this was definitely a nice launch to watch. It is a crystal clear evening so we got to see it very clearly.

If you watch closely in a daytime launch, you can just detect the puff from the solid rocket boosters detaching. It was only slightly more distinct in the dark. The cool part was that as the spent boosters tumbled down, you'd briefly see the glow of the hot exhaust bells. It looked like four fireflies slowly descending from the main rocket's path.

Last edited:
Ditto to Kbrandt, saw the entire flight from here in Stuart, could see booster separations, glowing red as they fell. Super clear night, conditions couldn't have been better. Starts as a bright orange flame lighting up entire sky around it, complete w/ sparks and glowing fireball. After boosters drop, it turns colors to a more white comet-type look. You could see the white glowing "dot" for quite a while as it traveled S.E. all the way across the horizon over the ocean.

Remarkable that you can see it that well from here....almost 70miles away!

I am fortunate to live only 30 miles from the west coast space launch facility at Vandenberg AFB and have seen several launches. Have missed a bunch too because of fog or I was too lazy to get out of bed! I was working on base when they launched the final Titan IV. We had a birds eye view from about 5 miles away and it was spectacular. We saw it, then felt it, before we could hear it. I could not belive how much smoke was created from the ingnition. Totaly enveloped the pad. Beautiful clear day and could see the seperation of the boosters and second stage ignition. Truely memorable sight!

I just saw the launch a few minutes ago from our back yard. We're about 30 miles south west and this was definitely a nice launch to watch. It is a crystal clear evening so we got to see it very clearly.

If you watch closely in a daytime launch, you can just detect the puff from the solid rocket boosters detaching. It was only slightly more distinct in the dark. The cool part was that as the spent boosters tumbled down, you'd briefly see the glow of the hot exhaust bells. It looked like four fireflies slowly descending from the main rocket's path.

We had a similar view from the East Orlando/Oviedo area.

As the rocket soared up and away from us, it turned into a bright dot, like a very large star then ... it disappeared. A few seconds later the video I was streaming on my cell phone announced "Main Engine Cut Off." (The video was delayed a little.)

Seeing that big, bright, dot just disappear and realizing we had been able to watch the flight all the way from lift-off to MECO was really cool.

Oh ... we started to hear it a few seconds before that, but then a jet flew over and washed out the sound.

-- Roger

I am fortunate to live only 30 miles from the west coast space launch facility at Vandenberg AFB and have seen several launches. Have missed a bunch too because of fog or I was too lazy to get out of bed! I was working on base when they launched the final Titan IV. We had a birds eye view from about 5 miles away and it was spectacular. We saw it, then felt it, before we could hear it. I could not belive how much smoke was created from the ingnition. Totaly enveloped the pad. Beautiful clear day and could see the seperation of the boosters and second stage ignition. Truely memorable sight!

Not to brag..well maybe a little.. I was just a little more than 1 1/2 miles away for last nights launch. I was able to join a few others outside...the chest thumping started about 2 seconds after liftoff. One of my perks of my dream job.

Last edited:
I lived in the (Orlando) Williamsburg neighborhood off International Drive (interestingly in Martin Marietta's old backyard.(Now Lockheed-Martin)

My house was at the edge of the neighborhood and I could see the Delta launches out my front door.
I could never see the strap-ons drop,but I could see when it happened.
Looked like the rocket goes from 1st gear to 4th...major difference in speed.
Drove to Titusville for lunch/launch twice.The Jetty is fairly close.

Back