This Weekend's Goraj Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Well, I set the alarm and was waiting for the AM when it was time to hit the Goraj HPR launch. I woke up around 2am realizing it wan't time yet, so hit the bed and, before you know it, I woke up again. A phone call from my brother at 7:30am got me up and I realized I slept in an hour and a half longer than I wanted too. Rushing to the car, I headed to his place, moved everything to the SUV and headed to Magnum Rockets.

Usually everyone meets at Magnum around 8am and heads to the field around 8:30am, 9am at the latest. I got there at 9:15am and noticed there were still alot of cars out front. Heading inside, two of our local Cincinnati boys were there and just bought some reall cool and big rocket kits. Then the news; the launch was canceled. Cloud cieling was low, around 1000' and the prefect couldnt make the drive for the snow, and...it was still snowing soooo...

It was time to shoot the bull and shop and tell lies and stories, which turned into one really good time. I am guessing about 30 fliers showed up during that time. Ross has just recently re-done his shop and it is really cool! Well organized and, Marclee, if you're listening, he now has a BUTTLOAD of brand new "The Launch Pad" kits as they have just resumed shipping.

I gotta admit though, I got a bit teary eyed looking at all the EMPTY Aerotech Reload bins...kinda choked ya all up inside. He did have Ellis Mountain though, quite a selection too! He also had all flavors of Pro38, which, along with Ellis, have been selling like hotcakes!!!

And another thing; I noticed that the amount of time spent in his shop is directly proportional to the amount of money you spend...I think he works it that way ;) I walked out a bit lighter in the wallet but without killing myself; I can still eat for the next two weeks. :)

I bought a 4" centering ring for a project, along with a 12" Nomex heatshield. I also picked up a 7.5" PML Body tube he had and have decided since I only need 19" of it for my L3 upper end, I can glass that much myself instead of paying the fortune PML charges.

Also, I took the dive and picked up a Cesseroni Pro38 4 grain case and a I280 reload for it along with the delay adjustment tool, so I am ready to go for the next Harpoon launch. The Pro38 stuff is REALLY cool!!! Everything comes in tubes, the casing is in a plastic protective tube with removable/reusable end caps, the tool is in the same type case and the reloads come packaged in a cardboard tube with the ignitor bagged and taped to the outside. The delay tool is a godsend...it essentially is a drill bit attached to a knob which sits in a notch on the outer sleeve. the sleeve is placed over the upper end of the casing, you lift the knob and move it to the notch for the delay you want to shave and turn the whole assembly a couple turns. From what Ross said, guys are having great luck with this and it's a very cool system!

I do have to say something for Ellis Mountain; They have been around for a long time and make some excellent reloads all the way up through "M1000" and he has em in stock! The only downside is the casings are expensive; about twice the price of Aerotech or Pro38, but they are ruggged and use the "snap" ring type build, similar to the Kosdons; you definitely get your money's worth in hardware. Also, Ellis Mountain will be producing the first batch of new reloads for Aerotech while they get back on their feet, so you know you will be getting good quality stuff from them. Hats off to Ellis for helping us out in this time of need.

Well, nuf said, I left the shop at nearly 1pm, parts in hand, a smile on my face and some new stories to share so, it's time to get to building...

Cya

Hey Carl, thanks for the tip on those Launch Pad kits!!! I'm already on it buddy. I'm gonna shoot the wad. Feed the kids mac 'n cheese for a coupla weeks, tell the wife to turn off the heat and stop showering. Just gonna keep the phone long enough to call 'em up, credit card shaking in my hand, and order me a dozen or so.

Then I'll wake up.

Seriously- thanks. I've been dying to order a few of those. I'm on it!

Marc

Back