Things we know we shouldn't do but do anyway (rocket related)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There are some things I do that I know I shouldn't, and every time I do I feel stupid or guilty (or both). Here are the first three that come to mind for me:

1) Trying to stretch the life of consumables. I'm looking at you, knife blades and sandpaper. I know they're cheap and they're not supposed to last indefinitely. But I always look at a piece of sandpaper and think just a quick wire brushing will clean that right up. I'm even worse with knife blades, despite using snap-offs where it's trivial to get a fresh blade. And I'll end up ruining a part of struggling with something just because I was too stingy to snap one off and start fresh. This is the worst.

2) Rushing build steps. I'm inclined to give myself a break with this one, because it's often due to circumstances beyond my control, but there are times when I *know* I'm rushing something and taking a significant risk of coming up with a bad result.

3) Trying to apply too much paint in one coat. This is almost like a compulsion. After what is probably the correct amount of paint in a coat, I see a spot that isn't covered completely, and give it another quick shot, then do the same for another spot, and then when all is said and done I've virtually applied two or three full coats at once. I think I need someone standing next to me to forcibly take the spray can out of my hand at the appropriate time.

3) Trying to apply too much paint in one coat. This is almost like a compulsion. After what is probably the correct amount of paint in a coat, I see a spot that isn't covered completely, and give it another quick shot, then do the same for another spot, and then when all is said and done I've virtually applied two or three full coats at once. I think I need someone standing next to me to forcibly take the spray can out of my hand at the appropriate time.

I feel like you have a spy cam watching me as I paint, and are describing me.

There are some things I do that I know I shouldn't, and every time I do I feel stupid or guilty (or both). Here are the first three that come to mind for me:

1) Trying to stretch the life of consumables. I'm looking at you, knife blades and sandpaper. I know they're cheap and they're not supposed to last indefinitely. But I always look at a piece of sandpaper and think just a quick wire brushing will clean that right up. I'm even worse with knife blades, despite using snap-offs where it's trivial to get a fresh blade. And I'll end up ruining a part of struggling with something just because I was too stingy to snap one off and start fresh. This is the worst.

2) Rushing build steps. I'm inclined to give myself a break with this one, because it's often due to circumstances beyond my control, but there are times when I *know* I'm rushing something and taking a significant risk of coming up with a bad result.

Yup, just performed #3 perfectly as described about ten minutes ago...

At least I don't drink and try to build rockets anymore,nothing good ever came of that.

"Stealing"

Stealing mixing cups (Ketchup cups) from restaurants. (5 Guys has the best 'mixing cups'!)
Same with wooden stir-sticks / pop-cicle sticks from either work or restaurants
Tie wraps from work
Screws & nuts form work
(And a pad of post-it notes from work)
The last roll of paper towel from the kitchen..

Flatly REFUSING to look at my "build pile" (aka almost small mountain now) while perusing various vendors websites and the "For Sale" thread here while thinking "I can build that in a weekend or two!"
Guilty!

Free rocket motor equals toasted rocket. Double true if ex motor.

For me it's looking at the wind for that one last launch and pushing it, lol.

Almost lost my Rocketarium Black Brant IV this morning when the wind was picking up. Drifting was the issue and it came down between two trees, narrowly missing both!

Even though I have a small painting sideline, I'm still guilty of #3 once in awhile!

"Stealing"

Stealing mixing cups (Ketchup cups) from restaurants. (5 Guys has the best 'mixing cups'!)
Same with wooden stir-sticks / pop-cicle sticks from either work or restaurants
Tie wraps from work
Screws & nuts form work
(And a pad of post-it notes from work)
The last roll of paper towel from the kitchen..
Wow, Guilty. By the way, Firehouse subs have "the" best cups. Wendys is a close second. I asked the guy at Firehouse if I could take a handful, he gave me a whole sleeve if I bought two buckets. They sell pickle buckets and donate the money.

Failing to wash you hands after the nuclear buffalo wings adds a little extra difficulty to using the urinal.

Back