Things we know we shouldn't do but do anyway (rocket related)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guilty of using drills past their use-by date, and snapping them off in a hole I need to drill and tap (I am talking M3 size here). That's another habit I should get out of. I need to either sharpen the drills or throw them out. It's not like I don't have more brand new ones in the cupboard o_O.

Not changing into proper 'work / hobby'; clothes before starting / continuing a project.

(And you know, when in your sunday best with a 5 mionute window.. That one quick glue joint is gonna get glue on your Sunday best..)

Eating a nice greasy breakfast at Waffle House on the way to the field when there is a single Port-a-John available for relief.

...tying your pants to the bathroom door at the waffle house, climbing thru the ceiling to get to the office for a robbery and falling into the dining area instead, fleeing the scene...later the police find the guy's wallet in his pants...That is too much information...LOL (That did happen, I saw it on the news)
i-dont-care-who-you-are-thats-funny-right-there.jpg

or changing out of my good clothes.

Lol. I managed to get 4x BSI external fillets on in 45mins while wearing my job interview clothes before jumping in the car to race to said interview. Kept everything off the clothes and only found I had a dab of wet epoxy on the back of my wrist (from *just* above my gloves) while driving in... fortunately hand sanitiser has enough alcohol in it that I managed to clean it up while at a set of lights...

Rocket to motor incompatibility. Yes there is such a thing as too much or too little thrust for a rocket. Usually followed by a lawn shark or shread.

"Stealing"

Stealing mixing cups (Ketchup cups) from restaurants. (5 Guys has the best 'mixing cups'!)

I'll do ya one better: Waffle batter cups. My university's cafeteria has stacks of giant ketchup cups that are perfect for composite layup when I need large amounts of resin. And regular cups too, but I just can't get enough of those waffle cups.

Have 30 or rockets sitting waiting to be primed or finished painted when the painting season has ended.
And plan more builds before painting season resumes.
Just keep building....they will get painted....someday....maybe.
Meanwhile, the decals decay in the file cabinet...

There's also the "I'll make this a nice relatively snug fit so it doesn't move around" train of thought that ALWAYS results in excess sanding. I make a mental note to try to get out of that habit each time it bites me :(.

Not changing into proper 'work / hobby'; clothes before starting / continuing a project.

(And you know, when in your sunday best with a 5 mionute window.. That one quick glue joint is gonna get glue on your Sunday best..)
Quilty

Cloning
Have I done it? Yes. Last week in fact. Buying a Lepin Saturn V kit instead of Lego's kit. The difference in local availability and price was the issue. I'm kind of in a odd situation living and working here in China. I'd preferred to have bought an original.

I absolutely have no problem at all with clones made of OOP designs, but not so much* with in-production kits. I have no problem with using salvaged parts from damaged rockets, and cannibalizing kits to create a copy of a kit you made in the past... Especially if the parts are from the same manufacturer as the original. However, when a person outright copies (not talking about upscales/downscales here) a vendor's in-production designs with few, if any, parts purchased from them is a problem. Though, the discomfort I have with it goes down greatly if the parts used are built by the builder, and not purchased from a competitor. I don't have a problem with clones that were started when a design was OOP, and then the original vendor, or a new vendor, brings it back before the clone is finished (I have a few of those on my stateside build pile).

I should note that my sims include several in production kits, but I do give credit to the original manufacturers, and even designers (if I can identify the individual). Besides giving flight characteristics, the sims are meant as a way of promoting their work, and I get no financial gain from them, unless they were actually sponsored by the manufacturer.

*Smaller, mom and pop vendors have a real hard time bringing their products to market, and often have a very small (if any) profit margin and copies of their designs hurt them. If you value their innovation, I feel you should toss them a few bucks by buying from them.

Last edited:
Failing to wash you hands after the nuclear buffalo wings adds a little extra difficulty to using the urinal.
Try absentmindedly scratching your... ahem... equipment... while you were stripping paint using Naval Jelly. 2 hours in a bath of cold water was what it took to restore confidence that I could walk somewhat normally again.

For a less prolonged experience, use apply citronella oil to the affected area out of desperation after finding yourself trying to sleep in a flea infested trailer (after all the shops around have closed for the night).

I never use gloves while epoxying. I always swear it's the last time.. It never is :(

One day you may not have a choice. I and many others have developed a sensitivity to the stuff. Good thing for me that I love working with wood glue!

Not reading kit instructions all the way through before starting to build, because I've built a thousand rockets, I already know all that stuff.

:eek::eek:

That oh crap moment: Finding out you need a tracker after you launch the rocket or remember you needed the tracker seconds after disappears from sight.

Driving away from the field at the end of a launch and realizing on the way home that you meant to stop at the vendor trailer to buy motors for next month.

Not properly staking down or taking down the canopy when it starts getting too windy.

Not properly staking down or taking down the canopy when it starts getting too windy.

Guilty - or during a torrential downpour. It is amazing how many gallons of water a canopy will hold till it breaks.

Not reading kit instructions all the way through before starting to build, because I've built a thousand rockets, I already know all that stuff.

:eek::eek:

They're really just suggestions anyway

These days I just look at stock measurements and use them as a basic workflow guide, so I don't have to keep everything in my head.

Putting recently bought items in your field box' and not declaring them at the border..

(I fly in the US, I go down for the day. The club president receives the odd item for me.. Kits are hard, and have to be declared.. But, cases, eye bolts, etc...)

Not following my pre- flight checklist. I guess ejection charges aren't optional after all.
...or forgetting to drill the delay resulting in a fabulous lawn dart. It's really special when you hear that ejection charge go off with the rocket in pieces on the ground...

Bringing all sorts of rocket-related stuff to the launch, on the off chance that you might want to do something with it. I tell myself to "bring a bunch of propellant, test stand, data acquisition, etc, so you can test some motors." Rarely do.

Stealing mixing cups (Ketchup cups) from restaurants. (5 Guys has the best 'mixing cups'!)

Our daughter works in nursing homes. If I ever need small mixing cups, I let her know, and I end up with a bag full of plastic "pill" cups with nice gradient markings on the side.

Back