There's a Rhino in the classroom!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just received a wonderful note from one of the teachers who purchased our Rhino bulk pack for his class.

We had an interesting dilema with his order however... We were out of bulk pack kits and we were out of body tubes to kit them up and he needed them quick....

solution? Well we have a box full of BT60-09 (9" BT60 tubes) and stage couplers. So with his permission we substituted two 9" tubes and a stage coupler. I also included an instruction step on how to connect the two tubes...

The results were rather surprising for a classroom full of basic beginners to the sport... A 15.5" Rhino, an 24.5" Rhino (stock) and even a 33.5" Rhino.. (see attached pix)

He even went on to say someone built a two stage Rhino (see the 33.5" Rhino in the attached pix) (clearly someone more advanced and wanted a challenge to build) and a slew of wonderful customizations on painting.

here is a link to the school web site where you can find some more pictures if you scroll down to NOVEMBER 13

THIS is what I love about being in this business. *very* reaffirming, that's for sure! :)

Looks like a few young imaginations were sparked there, Jim. You must be so proud of what those kids have done with your design.

The middle one seems to have a 'bovine' theme, don't let Phil see it! ;)

Jim, I'm sure you have a weakness for kids and their involvement in the hobby. I'm sure sales such as these make it all the more worthwhile. I certainly hope more schools pick up on the importance of rocketry in the classroom environment. Those are certainly some COOL designs. You can tell imagination was at work there. Very nice. Congrats thus far Jim.

For those that are new, my good friend Jason (jetra2) and I put together a 1 week, 2 hour per day, summer extra curricular class on rocketry for a group of homeschoolers. The class went extremely well and the Rhinos we used for the class were great for young minds. For most of these kids, the Rhino is the first rocket they ever built. Great start for prospective rocketeers....

See link here - <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/flis_rhino.html">Rhino Rocketry Class</a>

Originally posted by eugenefl
Jim, I'm sure you have a weakness for kids and their involvement in the hobby. I'm sure sales such as these make it all the more worthwhile. I certainly hope more schools pick up on the importance of rocketry in the classroom environment. Those are certainly some COOL designs. You can tell imagination was at work there. Very nice. Congrats thus far Jim.

For those that are new, my good friend Jason (jetra2) and I put together a 1 week, 2 hour per day, summer extra curricular class on rocketry for a group of homeschoolers. The class went extremely well and the Rhinos we used for the class were great for young minds. For most of these kids, the Rhino is the first rocket they ever built. Great start for prospective rocketeers....

See link here - <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/flis_rhino.html">Rhino Rocketry Class</a>

Eugenio,

you nailed it. This is one of the big things that has kept me *in* the hobby all these years and was fundamental in the goals of FlisKits. What I really love is all the creativity and variety that you see with kits like the Rhino but can't find with most other popular bulk pack kits for educators.

I had one teacher come up to me before our final class to sort of "fore-warn" me that the rockets that we would be flying this day (after 2 days of building) were "not perfect"... ...well I took one look at those rockets and pulled the teacher aside and said "there's nothing more perfect than those!"

You look at these pix and other classroom pix I have online (and will get more up there) and you can SEE that they were CONSTRUCTED not just "assembled". These kids used TOOLS and IMAGINATION, their *minds* and their *hands* to create something that is uniquely *them*.

I couldn't be happier to see such things :)

So, are you going to make the shorter tube(s) and coupler a permenant change to the Rhino bulk pack? Foster creativity!:)

There is NOTHING like the imagination of a child. My nieces and nephews have a far easier time desiging thier own rockets than I do. They are not hampered by adult thoughts of what a rocket should look like.

Originally posted by SwingWing
So, are you going to make the shorter tube(s) and coupler a permenant change to the Rhino bulk pack? Foster creativity!:)

highly likely. Will be discussing it with Brian tomorrow... :)

Back