The unintentional sugar detox (or how I learned something about myself in 9 days)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
So last Thursday I started feeling a little off. I couldn't quote put my finger on it other than a small bought of the binds. Friday came with much the same. Saturday came and I was heartbroken. I wanted desperately to go the launch in Asa but I was feeling worse I still couldn't put my finger on it so I unpacked my rocket crap and hit the couch. In a few hours I started to run a fever along with the continuing stomach pain I still mistook as the binds. Sunday came with no relief in sight, in fact the pain became worse. I decided to listen to my awesome wife (those who know her will agree) and go to the ER.

By the time she drove me to the ER on Sunday night, I was doubled over with a pain that can't really be described other than bad. After I answered all their questions the ER doc rushed me off to get a CT scan with contrast. In about 30 minutes he came back with a proud but serious look on his face (he suspected the cause and turned out to be right). That's when I learned that I had a case of diverticulitis that was severe enough to perforate causing me to get a nasty case of peritonitis. The small local ER decided I needed to go to the big ER to observation incase I needed a surgeon to preform their handiwork on me. After getting checked into the hospital I was put on an IV of potent antibiotics and nutrients. My job was to sit and wait to see if the fever and pain would get worse or better over time. A constant check of my white blood cells was performed while I laid in bed catching up on old Law and Order reruns. Of the several doctors that came and saw me, the surgeon turned out to be the most important. He said they could easily go in there and cut out a section of my bowel and put me on a poop sack until I healed enough to resect the bowel or we could wait to see if the antibiotics would do in the peritonitis while my white count returned to normal. I am so thankful he chose the second route.

Anyway, today is the first day I have eaten anything through my mouth since Sunday night. I have not had any sugar and all the nasty side effects of sugar detoxing was masked my the other pain I was dealing with. So now I have the chance to limit my sugar intake seeing how I have to learn what I can and can't eat anyway. Until last Sunday night I had no idea I had diverticulum much less managed to inflame them to the point that one would pop and spill poop inside my free stomach. I guess these are the lesson you learn when you get older. I am thankful the good Lord placed a patient surgeon in my life, I am thankful it wasn't anymore serious than it was and most of all, I am thankful to be alive to spend time with my wife. I am not sure how I would have gotten through the mess without her.

Sugar detox sucks if you are used to having a fair amount of it in your diet. I went through it on Ideal Protein and was literally sick for 3rd-5th days. My mom deals with Diverticulitis its amazing how much pain people can endure.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're on the mend. Diverticulitis, is not fun. For me, it felt like someone punched me in the gut, hard, several days before. It didn't get to the point that it perforated, but it came close (3 days admitted into the hospital). And broth for your one and only meal choices gets old quick.

Oh jeez Jarrett..
Diverticulitis is no joke..
That's a very painful thing..
I sure am glad to hear your on the downhill side now..
I'm also sure glad you've got the Mrs there with you..
Good for you man..
This'll all be behind you quite shortly...

Teddy

I feel your pain.

Went to the doctor a few days after Thanksgiving thinking I was having diverticulitis, had the the CT scan w contrast, and wound up in the emergency room diagnosed with a burst appendix...that had already healed itself. Three days in the hospital, three weeks on heavy duty antibiotics, a surgical drain implanted via CT surgery, followed by another CT scan to verify the abscess was gone, removal of the drain, and a loss of 20 pounds, and six weeks of regaining weight and strength, I still have my appendix.

That's the new treatment for appendicitis.

Sorry to hear about that. Wow.

Sugar-wise, I had to mostly quit when I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes (I had finally gone to the emergency room due to a toe infection, one or two more days and I would not have the toe anymore. It was really getting bad quickly the last few hours before I went in). Had to have the toe operated on to remove about 1/8" of infected bone, looks and feels the same.

Fortunately Splenda (Sucralose) tastes just like sugar to me. So, while I did have to stop drinking Cokes (Diet Coke does not do it for me), I usually drink Iced Tea sweetened by Splenda, rather than sugar. Tastes the same. And count carbs to limit my other sugar intake (took a class on nutrition and other things related to diabetes). Oh sure, I could have one regular cookie..... but I'd rather have a pint or more of Popcorn. I still have things that have sugar in them.... but within limits. Tradeoffs. I could even have a can of regular Coke, but that would blast a huge hole in my carb allocation for the whole meal, not worth it and tempting fate (Same reason why I do not have "a few" potato chips, too tempting and not worth it, so I avoid them).

Do have the occasional small slice of cake when someone has a birthday.... while in the past I could put away half of my own cake in one night. Again, tradeoffs.

Also needed to lose weight. Almost losing a toe put things more into perspective, that I had to do something. Counting the carbs was a big part of helping with the weight loss. Things like going from sandwiches with two slices of white bread to "lite" bread with half the calories and half the carbs, and eating sandwiches open-faced with one slice of bread, so 25% of the calories and carbs per sandwich.

Now the diabetes is under control just by diet and exercise, I no longer need to take any medications as my blood sugar levels are good. But long term there can still be complications, so I have to stay on top of it (I take blood glucose readings twice a day). And I enjoy the foods i'm eating, it's not bland crappy stuff. Even found a thin crust low-carb and not-too-many-calories frozen pizza that I like (Culinary Circle), so that replaces the crazy thick crust "Pan Pizzas". And I still eat spaghetti at times, but a LOT less of it, when in the past I might have two full plates full (pasta has lot of carbs in it, and starchy foods like pasta and potatoes break down into sugars). I also eat salad now, pretty much every night, and enjoy that.

So, do what you need to to control your medical situation. You've had your version of the same "scared straight" thing I had with the toe and the diabetes that caused the poor healing of an injury from months earlier (leading to the infection, which led to the discovery i was diabetic).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Wow Kit,,
That's just crazy..
They say a burst appendix is super painful man,,
I guess you'd be the one to ask..
I'm just glad that's behind you now...
Be in good health Kit...

Teddy

We are blessed to have good wives who refuse to leave us to our foolish instincts. Get well soon Jarrett and thank your wife for me. Mine saved me from certain death from prostate cancer. God bless the wives.

Funny. Your diverticulitis put you on a better diet. Mine, which was less severe than yours, had the opposite effect. They told me to avoid fiber for three weeks. For the first time in decades, I found myself eating at McDonald's!

You guys hae some terrifying weigh loss programs. Glad you are all still above ground, and managing a way forward...even you Ted.:wink:

You can reduce your diabetes risk and or severity if you reduce your waist to less that 1/2 your height.

There is plenty of research to support it. I struggle with my weight. As a Soldier, I am required to weight 220 at 75 inch height to not be taped. I have rarely not needed to have a date with the tape test.

The ones who do not need taped usually have large diameter necks. That predisposes you to sleep apnea, pulmonary hypertension, and heart failure.

A large waist predisposes you to hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, and heart failure.

It is better to be small in both measurements.

You can reduce your diabetes risk and or severity if you reduce your waist to less that 1/2 your height.

Never heard that one, but it sounds good.. At one point used to wear as much as size 56 pants (350-360 pounds early 1990's). Lost some beginning around 1998. Was at size 44 and 240 when when diagnosed. Lost weight down to 175-180 range, and wear size 38 pants now.

I'm 76" tall. So, 76 / 2 = 38. Hey, that math worked out for me. Well.....OK, not less than half....but half.

In choosing my weight goal, I had two criteria. The most important one was referencing height/weight BMI charts to see what would be a healthy weight range for my height. Charts like this one:

https://healthyhomeboy.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/bmi-chart1.png

And the other was that I used to weigh 350-360, and since my research showed a healthy weight was 175-180, I targeted 175. A goal of reaching half my previous max weight was an important incentive. And also it meant losing 25% of the 240 pounds I weighed when diagnosed. Got down to 173, then have used 175-180 as my maintenance range (weigh myself each morning when I get up, for consistent readings).

For more info on my situation, there are two threads. The first one is here, where I mentioned a lot about the weight loss but not why. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?121345

The other, I finally came out publicly about the reason why, the diabetes diagnosis. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123378

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
There is plenty of research to support it. I struggle with my weight. As a Soldier, I am required to weight 220 at 75 inch height to not be taped. I have rarely not needed to have a date with the tape test.

The ones who do not need taped usually have large diameter necks. That predisposes you to sleep apnea, pulmonary hypertension, and heart failure.

A large waist predisposes you to hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, and heart failure.

I hated those tape tests since I was always pushing the edge at 74" with a 19" and 210 lbs.

Well Doc, by that rule of thumb I need to be at least 6'-8". Looks like I'll need some growth hormones! :facepalm:

I always wish I had a few more inches of height. It would have helped with basketball. There just aren't many 75 inch centers and power forwards in basketball.

Damn Jarrett, that is a rough patch you went through. Glad to hear you have found some relief. This is going to drive some changes in your lifestyle- not only diet but exercise too. Good thing you have a loving wife to keep you on the straight and narrow with those changes. I have issues with milk proteins and high fat foods. With my limited memory and predisposition toward invincibility, I appreciate my wife calmly pointing out that I 'can't eat x because we have plans that don't involve me being on the toilet all weekend'.

Wow, thanks for all the well wishes and shared stories. I had no idea how common this thing was. Last night was the first meal I have eaten with the stomach issues in mind. I had small portion of roasted chicken, some plain white rice and about 5 string beans. I would have eaten more beans because I actually like them but the doctor said to watch the fiberous veggies for a while. I switched from soda to unsweetened tea which I have always enjoyed. The interesting thing is how little it took for me to feel full. I ate least a third of what I normally would and I did not feel like I was missing anything two hours later at bed time.

When I woke up this morning, I decided to weigh myself before breakfast. I was down to 228, a full ten pounds lighter than this time last week. At 5'10" I would not consider myself grossly overweight but I knew I needed to do something to get on a better path. I want to be back at my OCS weight of 180-190 because that is where I felt the healthiest.

For breakfast I had a half a glass of milk and 2 packages of plain unflavored/sweetened oatmeal to which I added a very small bit of honey and some applesauce. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it eventhough it was not sweet at all. I can see myself eating this more often.

Today Luisa and I went to a bike shop in Fort Worth to look at road touring bikes. The idea is not a speedy go faster racer type thing but a smooth riding steel framed steed to get some fresh air and become a part of the passing scenery. I have had my eye on a Salsa Vaya for a while now but finally have the excuse to actually buy one. After a test ride (not the smartest thing to do given my current energy level) I fell in love. I compared a few bikes but none spoke to me like the Salsa. I wanted to make the financial decision on a clear head so I left with the intent to go back next week and order it. It only took the drive home to know I should have just ordered it while I was there.

So I see all this as a blessing. I am not sure I would have had the strength and will power to cut (reduce) the sugar without the life changing event. I am not mad at myself or the world for all the crap they put in our food. I consider myself VERY blessed for a host of reasons. I have been given a jump start on regaining my health. From here on out my job is to watch what I eat in mind if the diverticulitis and doing that will force me to change my diet for the better. I'll add some exercise in there to boot. The way I figure it, just cutting out the soda and riding a small bit each week will have me well on my way back to the sub 200's.

Wow Jarrett,,
Good for you man..
It sounds to me like you've got one heck of a glorious year laid out in front of you...
Good for you Jarrett...

Teddy

Hey,,
This is a good reason that you moved to Texas,,
better,, longer bike riding weather... lol...

Thanks! Interesting rule of thumb....

looks like I need to loose 2" around the waist. Guess that means about 10lbs equals an inch for me....

Mike

White foods are evil. Go whole grain and your will stay full longer.

Today Luisa and I went to a bike shop in Fort Worth to look at road touring bikes. The idea is not a speedy go faster racer type thing but a smooth riding steel framed steed to get some fresh air and become a part of the passing scenery. I have had my eye on a Salsa Vaya for a while now but finally have the excuse to actually buy one. After a test ride (not the smartest thing to do given my current energy level) I fell in love. I compared a few bikes but none spoke to me like the Salsa. I wanted to make the financial decision on a clear head so I left with the intent to go back next week and order it. It only took the drive home to know I should have just ordered it while I was there.

Excellent choice, to begin bike riding. I tried out a borrowed bike last August, found I could ride OK, then went looking for a used bike on Craigslist (I had last ridden a bike sometime around 1974). I was very fortunate to come across a hybrid bike that fit my size..... I did not know enough about that and so easily could have bought a bike that was too small for me. Since you are buying new, you can try to make SURE that your bike is sized right for you and adjusted right for you (if it is a GOOD bike shop, they should know all about this. A good bike shop ought to care more about your comfort than their commission). And like you, I was not looking for a speedy racer, but something to ride around for exercise, which has worked out well. I ended up riding more than I expected to (though due to cold stopped in mid-November. Have ridden about 46 miles the last 6 weeks during a few warm-enough not-too-windy days). A thread about that here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?128414

Good luck to you with your health, and ride safe! :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback George. For me, cycling is a no brainer. I grew up on bikes and only stopped riding when I gained fear. Here is my old ride, a 1993 Klein Rascal. I took a loan out for it in '93. At the time it cost more than the car I was driving. It is a shadow if it's former self and is currently unridable. The forks are blown and the shifters don't work anymore. The sad part is it can't really be fixed either. In it's prime, it was the sexiest most lusted after bike you could dream of and the things I could make it do would make a grown man cry.

IMG_0596-L.jpg

I always wish I had a few more inches of height. It would have helped with basketball. There just aren't many 75 inch centers and power forwards in basketball.

"I'm not over-weight. I'm under-tall." - Garfield the Cat

Concur with assessment and LMAO. Can prescribe 1 hour on the "rack" per day for diabetes?

Good to hear you're doing well with it all....

There are definitely things I know I should change in my diet, portions being one of them. I hope the changes continue to go well for you.

Brief update:
It is astonishing how much better I feel. I have not had soda with all it's evil in 3 weeks. I have not had fake caffeine either. What caffeine I do take comes from unsweetened ice tea. I have been eating healthy meals and avoiding sugary snacks. I will have a bite of Lu's dessert from time to time but find them way too sweet. No candy bars, no chips no needless crap. I will allow a jello or jello pudding (yum) just because I deserve it. Now here is the kicker, I expected to add a little weight since leaving the hospital because I have started eating solid foods regularly. I haven't though, I have actually lost weight. I am down to 224 which is about 16 pounds lighter than I was a month ago. I can actually concentrate on task and my performance at work has improved. I am no longer tired all the time and I don't get as angry or stressed out as I did frequently before. I feel like I am closer to the person God designed me to be, still have some work though.

Now for the fun stuff. I bought a damn sexy bike I couldn't afford. I figured it would be a great way to slowly build my endurance and have a good time doing it. I went for a very small ride yesterday, around 5 miles but I felt great the entire time. I could have gone farther but I did not know how I would feel in the morning and did not want to push it. So each Sat or Sun morning depending on Luisa's schedule, I will be on my bike tooling around back country roads looking for nothing in particular and in no hurry doing it. But there will be calories burned and sweat lost. Not sure how all this will cut into my rocketry though, I guess that depends on the upcoming burn bans and how much I will actually be able to fly. All things in moderation I suppose!

DSC_0014-L.jpg

Sweet ride Jarrett. Since you are easing back into cycling, you're probably headed for some "tenderness". I actually had a minor medical incident caused by racing on a traditional saddle. If you start having excessive pain or numbness, checkout Adamo -ism saddles. Hell, might be worth a look regardless.

Glad to hear everything is going well.

Back