The Rokitflite Fake-Wulf Is Ready!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Balltip
Got mine today!:D

Wonderfully well packaged! Not a dent or ding to the parcel, and everything has survived perfectly all the way to Sweden!

Awwww this will be so much fun!

That you had sent along enough spare parts to "make up for some of the freight" makes me almost feel ashamed, as freight cost is something you can't decide over. If you'd like some reimbursement for all the extra stuff then just let me know!!!

Glad it arrived in good shape Per! Please don't worry about the extras... I am flattered that you were willing to pay five times the standard shipping to have one of my kits! I am happy that one of the Fake-Wulfs is almost back to Germany;). Becareful flying it on anything above a B, otherwise it might make it all the way there!

John and Rob,
Stop it. You are making me blush!

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Balltip
(From what I have gathered the Swiss not only provided Saab with intelligence but also a slightly damaged Fake Wulf that had a bad landing in Baden-Wurteldalen in north Switzerland just days before the red army entered Berlin. Saab brought it out of Switzerland by painting it in more neutral colours as not to look like a German airplane. As the Swedish air force wanted in (naturally!), the FW that ended up in Sweden later on got the Swedish crown marks.
I can't confirm that this is a true story or not, because if I told you, I'd have to make sure you kept silent... :kill: )

:D

Edit: Just heard through "the channels" that the place for the unfortunate landing actually was Bad-Landtingsberg and nothing else...

Thats the spirit!:D :D :D

**** thing glides so long from what i have seen in pictures and video i ought to get frequent flyer miles when i launch it. I cant wait to get mine :)
Cheers
fred

My asterisks make referance to a earthen or concrete structure for holding back water nothing really obscene :)
Cheers
fred

Originally posted by fred22
**** thing glides so long from what i have seen in pictures and video i ought to get frequent flyer miles when i launch it. I cant wait to get mine :)
Cheers
fred

Shoot... I can't wait for the honor of having you & your wife take one of your OUTSTANDING photos of it!

Originally posted by rokitflite
Shoot... I can't wait for the honor of having you & your wife take one of your OUTSTANDING photos of it!
You are most kind sir. rest assured I will do my best as will Suzanne :)
Cheers
Fred

-Take a shot for me too, I haven't even been able to catch anything lifting off yet.:( I gotta say that I'm pretty excited about this build! & can't wait to get her! I've been digging through a bunch of decals that I have left over from some balsa Guillows planes & I hope to come up with something interesting!

I got mine! I spent last night just looking at the whole cdrom which is very cool. Scott sure spent a lot of work on this thing!
-Now, I just need to get the Wife to take the kids out somewhere tomorrow night so I can start this thing!:rolleyes:

Hey Scott, are you going to get a webpage for your kits?

Originally posted by cmmeyers
Here is my Fake Wulf glider, freshly primered last night.

-Nice.........looks like you fill-n-finished your balsa well. I can't wait to get this far!:cool:

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
-Nice.........looks like you fill-n-finished your balsa well. I can't wait to get this far!:cool:
Ah-yep! I FnF'd all the balsa before I finished assembling the wings. I find it easier (for me, YMMV) to do it ahead of time rather than after everything is together. I just needed a small amount to smooth out the joints after everything was glued together.

I got the base coats on today. Now just to wait until they're nice and dry so that I can mask off the camo pattern.

Your about a day or two ahead of me CM. I got mine filled and sanded today. Will do primer tomorrow.

LOL - we're all pretty much synced. Mine just got primed too.

I'm probably going to fly mine, though, tomorrow... NAKED! :eek:

James.

Originally posted by jimmyk
LOL - we're all pretty much synced. Mine just got primed too.

I'm probably going to fly mine, though, tomorrow... NAKED! :eek:

James.

James! The model NEEDS the weight of the paint to balance correctly... I HIGHLY recommend painting it first!

-Me

James! The model NEEDS the weight of the paint to balance correctly... I HIGHLY recommend painting it first!

-Me

OOPS. Got ya.

OK, no naked flying...

:D

-Me

I'll second that. I gently tossed it yesterday without the paint, and it wants to nose down at this point, not too badly though. I'll bet the paint will get'r just right.

I think the only glider I saw Scott fly in just primer ended up with a glob of clay and a trim tab on it to make it glide well. All of the painted ones I've seen have pretty much flown without needing any clay, and only 1 I've seen needed the trim tab. I think it was the same one that flew in primer. :)

kj

I started building mine Saturday morning & have built the pod & just about finished building the glider. I just have a lot of finishing work & a cool paint-scheme to come up with! This build has been so much FUN!!!!!!!!!!! It's so refreshing to build something like this!:cool:

I started building mine Saturday morning & have built the pod & just about finished building the glider. I just have a lot of finishing work & a cool paint-scheme to come up with! This build has been so much FUN!!!!!!!!!!! It's so refreshing to build something like this!:cool:

You said it. This is one of the most complete, best quality, best valued, challenging, yet goes together quickly and easily due to the well thought out instructions, that I have seen in a while(maybe ever!). I'll be getting another, that's for sure. I'm amazed Scott doesn't charge more, but I'm glad he doesn't.;) I mean, who else includes craft sticks in their kits for gluing stuff together?

Anybody else notice how well the wing dihedral jig works as a display stand for the glider? It also worked great to hold the glider while the basswood skid dried in place.;)

Originally posted by zog43editor
I think the only glider I saw Scott fly in just primer ended up with a glob of clay and a trim tab on it to make it glide well. All of the painted ones I've seen have pretty much flown without needing any clay, and only 1 I've seen needed the trim tab. I think it was the same one that flew in primer. :)

kj
Okay, thanks, Kevin.

Scott, what are your current recommendations with regard to using the trim tabs?

I have to say I love the way it turns out, and the pod with the built-in baffle is really a cool design.

Originally posted by JRThro
Okay, thanks, Kevin.

Scott, what are your current recommendations with regard to using the trim tabs?

The only real recommendation I have is to fly it first before adding ANY weight or trim tabs. I had 2 that when hand tossed would do a kinda sharp spiral nose first dive into the ground. I launched them with no trimming and ended up walking a l-o-n-g way to retrieve them after picture perfect glides.

The only real recommendation I have is to fly it first before adding ANY weight or trim tabs. I had 2 that when hand tossed would do a kinda sharp spiral nose first dive into the ground. I launched them with no trimming and ended up walking a l-o-n-g way to retrieve them after picture perfect glides.
Okay, thanks.

I thought I remembered reading a post where you suggest adding the trim tabs before the first flight of one's Fake Wulf without bending them up or down, but more in an attempt to effectively lengthen the wing surface just a little and move the CP aft just a bit, but maybe not.

Of course, (in an embarrassed voice) I still have to prime and paint the darned thing!

Back