The Official TRF Cat Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
287a29f3-6808-45fe-a1da-116e643a3cd9-jpeg.4471570

My first pet was a baby boy cat I named meowmeow.
I was around 45. Smartest cat I ever saw.
If I yelled his name he would come running.
He would lay low in tall grass and if a bird got too low...he would run up from behind and snatch them out of the air.

He died in 2007, only 7 years young and I still miss him.

I later got 2 girls, one black and one white.

I moved and the new apartment required $300 pet deposit.
I had to take them to a no kill shelter. Broke my heart ❤.

My male is a bottomless pit. I think he would eat the kitchen floor if it wasn’t attached.
My little girl alway has been a wiry little thing. For a number of years she turned her nose up at everything. Several months ago she became pretty close to skeletal. The vet could find nothing wrong with her but prescribed a med to stimulate her appetite.
The first round made no difference. About a week later I tried again. This time she came asking for the Costco rotisserie chicken we were having for dinner. I gave her a chunk and she wolfed it down. I started mixing chicken with canned cat food and she would devour hers then push her brother away and finish his. She has now gained a little over 5 pounds. She eats when I get up for work, she eats when Mrs gets up, she then eats again when I get home from work and one more time when we have dinner. Of course all day long they have their kibble to munch on as well. She is also demanding “feed me more” when ever there is anyone in the kitchen. I am just glad to see her putting some weight on.

About four weeks ago, I got up and couldn't find my cat, Rusty, anywhere. Finally found hin hidden inside the couch. He was miserable. His skin allergies had kicked in overnight and was causing his skin to flake and hair/fur to fall out between his hips, across his back. I took him to the vet and the doc gave him a shot of steroids and an antibiotic (he had scratched some skin raw).

rustyvet.jpg
rusbak.jpg

The shots were good for about a week. The vet had also suggested giving him Zyrtec, half a tablet a day. I crush them up to a fine powder and mix it with a tablespoon of baby food (he really likes the turkey and chicken!). It wasn't enough, though. He would sit in my lap and twitch and squirm and wriggle more than a three year old that has to pee. So back to the vet today. The vet found a few fleas on him. He's incredibly allergic to fleas, too. I strongly suspect he picked up the fleas from the earlier trip to the vet. He's the only animal in the house (I'm actually a vegitable), and is strictly indoors only. Another $95 for three months flea drops (Revolution Plus). I really hope this fixes the problem. I'm suffering, too. When he sits in my lap and starts wriggling, he digs in with his very long, very sharp claws; my stomach and lap are scratched up.

Took one of our 13 year old cats to the vet, he's down to 6 pounds. they are sending off the blood work to see if his thyroid is the whole problem as he is constantly hungry and still losing weight, so we were just about ready to toss the towel in on him as he also is diabetic, but we will find out tomorrow how his blood sugar levels are as they fluctuate all over the place and for the last three or four years we have been given him two shots a day So that's 700 shots every year. :eek:

My wife is on the board of directors for a local non-profit animal shelter. We foster cats and kittens who need special attention that would be difficult to give them at the shelter.

This is Pringle. A few days ago someone brought him to the shelter after they found him injured. It looked like he had been hit by a car. A vet confirmed that he had a broken right rear leg and needed surgery. He had surgery yesterday (they also neutered him so a really bad day!). They had to rebreak his leg and insert a pin. They heavily bandaged his leg making a cast and put a Velcro Xmas tree on it. He needs to be kept confined for at least three weeks.

He would have been stuck in a cage at the shelter, so my wife brought him home and we are using a soft sided cage to keep him confined. He has food, water, litter box and a heated bed in his enclosure, but not much more room so hopefully that will keep him from injuring his leg again.

He panics when he gets picked up as the cast really makes it awkward for him to feel safe. Once you get on him on your lap he settles down pretty quickly and starts purring.

He is lying on my lap purring away as he drifts off to sleep.Pringle 1m.jpg

Attachments

• Pringle 1.JPG
    Pringle 1.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 4
Simi up there used to be all black, but she's getting old. She was found dumped in a barn, but clearly wasn't a barn cat. :( She's been with us about 10 years now and hasn't left yet. She did give Annie (70lb black lab with a little pit bull in her) a few good scratches though .

Short update: Pringle is eating breakfast well and nibbles at lunch and dinner. We bring him out of his room and hold him for hours at a time and lays on our laps and purrs. He seems quite happy.

A friend gave us matching socks for people and cats. Pringle "volunteered" to wear two of the kitty socks. My wife has yet to put on hers.IMG_5680.JPG

Last edited:
I know Rusty is now all healed up. How do I know? He has gone from sleeping on the bed, and demanding to be in my lap when I'm sitting on the couch, to ignoring me completly.

Back