reviving a Lipo battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all. I have a Lipo camera battery that I hadn't charged for a couple of years. When I plug it into the charger, it won't charge. Now for some rechargeables, (NiCd, NiMh) I've been able to "jump start" them with a 9V battery connected + to +, - to -, for a few seconds. But this is 7.4 V, not 1.5 V. And it's LiPo. So I'm thinking of trying a 12V trickle charger (and eye & hand protection, and in something I can carry outside just in case). Am I a little crazy, a whole lot crazy, or has anyone done this?

You can try to revive them to a safe charge for balance charging with a very low trickle current like 0.1a with a computerized charger. I'd try it outside with the battery in a fire protective pouch or dispose of the battery all together.

BEWARE!! never trust this battery again. Always watch it like a hawk when charging. A fully discharged lipo has been damaged to some degree.

I've done it with a benchtop power supply on a 900mAh 2S lipo. Configured for 3.7v and 0.1A CC The key is the low current, the target voltage and enabling CC(constant current) so that it doesn't try to draw too much at once. It'll trickle power in until it hits 3.7v and then you can use your normal charging system.

edit: charge cells individually, not as the whole pack. It could be that only 1 cell in the battery is drained but the other is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks all. It's probably better to just get rid of it. The camera is 2004 vintage but gives a very good, low-noise image, i.e. you zoom to 1:1 pixel ratio and it stays sharp.

Thanks all. It's probably better to just get rid of it. The camera is 2004 vintage but gives a very good, low-noise image, i.e. you zoom to 1:1 pixel ratio and it stays sharp.

Ah - I assumed that this was for a launch controller... should be able to get a replacement for that specific battery for the model of the camera (Amazon, Ebay).

Toss it . It's not worth the trouble and it never ends up well. LiPo fires are real and normally caused by this kind of thing.

Back