The Landlord Said I could...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leash train kitty, it only takes a few hours. Get a harness and a sturdy cord, as the metal clip on a leash is usually too heavy. Try it on a few days before going out with kitty, as kitty will roll around and act like it's choking and hates you. Within a few minutes that is over, then take it off. Put it on kitty a few hours later with a treat. Within a day you can have a leash trained kitty that can go places, the park or even the river as my cat likes to do. I travel with my pets, and a leashed kitty at the rest stop gets lots of "ooh, how precious!"

Lots of good advice so far, so I won't repeat a bunch. We've had multiple cats over the years, some adopted, some strays, some pet-store rescues, etc.

2 cats are generally less hassle than 1, especially if littermates. Indoor cats can live up to 2x as long as outdoor, but get bored easily and will find something (good or bad) to do. Best bet for a single is get a shelter cat (not kitten) that is known to prefer a single-pet household. Grown cats will generally let you know their personality REALLY quick. Kittens change a lot. You have to really have a good idea of what kind of companion you want, as cats are all over the map: playful/sedentary, engaging/aloof, neat/messy, loud&talkative/silent, demanding/appreciative. You grow to love them all (well most) and appreciate their personalities. If you're the type to really bond with your animals, they truly become "furry children".

Good luck in your search.
Ken

FWIW, due to people and their superstitions, black cats are some of the hardest to get adopted. I've read something from an animal behavior person who also says that tortoise shells are some of the most anti-social, and black cats are the most social.

II have nothing against black cats :), My best friend had several of them (and I mentioned good thing noone here is superstitious :p) There are several at local shelters.

Every reply has been pro pet. May I give you the con side? You are about to tie an anchor around your waist. A ball and chain, if you will. lol
You won't be able to go away for a weekend. Not even overnight without providing for your pet. Now I don't hate animals. I love animals. But when we have to run from a hurricane we have to pack up 5 cats(my wifes) and a 100 pound lab(my sons). I have no pet, but no one would listen to me. Maybe you will. (smiling) I doubt it.

Gary(hurricane season is here.....aw crap!)

Thats what I love about cats, you can leave them alone for a day or so, and if gone longer, the landlord can come over and fill the food dish and water dishes :). LOL

Whats your guys opinion about these kitties:

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16595808

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16632454

Oh, I just added a RC plane and a couple RC planes to my Yard sale :)

Those two are adorable! I think that Juna may be your best if she is to spend any extended time alone...Nala might not take separation very well..

Both are pretty cats. Of course, I'm biased, as they remind me of Xavi, our tubby tabby, who was our second cat.

FWIW, in my experience, and stuff I've read, male cats tend to be more affectionate than female cats.

We've owned both.

-Kevin

I've read something from an animal behavior person who also says that tortoise shells are some of the most anti-social, and black cats are the most social.

Wow. The tortoise shell happily purring in my lap begs to differ.

I guess it may be true in general, but don't let that deter you from getting a tortie. I couldn't be more pleased with how sociable mine is. She is also the World's Most Beautiful Cat, a nice bonus.

BobH48 said:
Remember this:

Dogs have owners.. Cats have staff

A dog looks at you and thinks "he feeds me, cleans up after me, gives me a warm place to live: he must be some kind of god!"

A cat looks at you and thinks "he feeds me, cleans up after me, gives me a warm place to live: I must be some kind of god!".

Last edited:
Wow. The tortoise shell happily purring in my lap begs to differ.

I guess it may be true in general, but don't let that deter you from getting a tortie. I couldn't be more pleased with how sociable mine is. She is also the World's Most Beautiful Cat, a nice bonus.

Agreed! They're all so very different.

Zelda (our tortie) is very aloof, and always has been. She hangs out downstairs and avoids people, for the most part, except when she wants attention. And then she'll stand next to you and expect to be petted.

When we still had our calico (Zooey), she had claimed me and moped when I wasn't home. When I was home, she was a pain in my backside.

Tsar (siamese) was very vocal, and adored a friend of mine, who would play with him for hours with a pheasant feather.

Xavi (our tubby tabby) was the greatest flycatcher I've ever seen. He had a vertical leap that would make a basketball player cry, and could snag a fly out of the air 4 feet off the ground.

Herman (black) is the biggest cat we've ever had, and by far the most affectionate. He'll climb up in your lap, put a front paw on either shoulder, and head-butt you in the chin to get attention.

Five cats, five very different personalities.

-Kevin

Here's pictures of my kitty, first when he came to us as a scruffy kitten and then chillin' on the deck a few years later.

As for cats owning you, we had a family all lined up to take our little orphan as soon as he was weaned, but found a littermate the week before we were set to turn him over and turned her over instead. When my son went in to inform the kitten we were keeping him, the son reported back that the kitten said he never had any intention of leaving. :)

We wound up naming him Pippin (after the hobbit), because he was so playful and mischievious and it was the only name the kids could agree on. Had we known what was coming, we probably should have named him Balrog.:dark:

Kitten.JPG

Fall3.jpg

A dog looks at you and thinks "he feeds me, cleans up after me, gives me a warm place to live: he must be some kind of god!"

A cat looks at you and thinks "he feeds me, cleans up after me, gives me a warm place to live: I must be some kind of god!".

:roll: Similar to what I have hear about the difference between cats and dogs:

To dogs you are family, to cats you are servants!

:roll:

Every reply has been pro pet. May I give you the con side? You are about to tie an anchor around your waist. A ball and chain, if you will. lol
You won't be able to go away for a weekend. Not even overnight without providing for your pet. Now I don't hate animals. I love animals. But when we have to run from a hurricane we have to pack up 5 cats(my wifes) and a 100 pound lab(my sons). I have no pet, but no one would listen to me. Maybe you will. (smiling) I doubt it.

Gary(hurricane season is here.....aw crap!)

Thus, if you leash train kitty, you can travel anywhere you can drive. Get in the car with kitty, start the motor and just creep up and down the driveway or street a few times, kitty might freak out, but the second time it's usually fine. My cat lays in the seat next to me, or in the back window, while the dog sits or lays in the back seat.

Ggoldy's point is very important, regardless. If you adopt a cat, you are agreeing to put yourself in a position such that anytime you want to be away for more than about two days, you will need to make some kind of arrangements. If you can't be reasonably confident that you can make those arrangements now and for the next 15 or so years, you should think twice about taking on the responsibility.

That being said, I have only very briefly regretting taking on that responsibility, and the benefits EASILY outweigh the regrets.

We don't have one now, but we've had a few cats over the years. Along with the milk rings and the wadded up papers (mine liked empty cigarette packs, their 'crinkly') the absolute hands-down most hilarious thing to play with a cat was a laser pointer. I'd swear, mine would nearly bounce off the ceiling trying to chase that lil red dot. All the cats I've have loved it. Quality entertainment at its finest...

Ok, one more voice from someone who doesn't like cats just so we have this all fair and balanced.

I liked cats until i had to peel my mother in law's red tabby off of my 2-year old daughter's forehead several years ago. It wasn't pretty and I almost lost my cool. She didn't provoke the cat, I saw the whole interaction. I knew the cat was temperamental and was making my way to remove her from the situation. Before I could get there, the cat struck her with both paws above her eyes, and dug in deep. He actually pulled her forward. I was petrified that her eyes were injured, but the claw marks were about 2" above. She was fine, but the cat lost one of its 9 lives that day.

To be fair, this cat is not by any means representative of all cats, but I am certainly more aware of them around my daughter to this day and even if I wasn't allergic to them, i would not own one.

I liked cats until i had to peel my mother in law's red tabby off of my 2-year old daughter's forehead several years ago. It wasn't pretty and I almost lost my cool. She didn't provoke the cat, I saw the whole interaction. I knew the cat was temperamental and was making my way to remove her from the situation. Before I could get there, the cat struck her with both paws above her eyes, and dug in deep. He actually pulled her forward. I was petrified that her eyes were injured, but the claw marks were about 2" above. She was fine, but the cat lost one of its 9 lives that day.

You said the key bit -- the cat was tempermental.

I've been around cats like that; my in-laws used to have one. My mother in law thought it was great that the cat loved her, but not really anyone else.

Sorry, but any cat that's unpredictable or hisses at people for no reason isn't going to be in my house for long.

-Kevin

Here's mine, Simon/ monster kitty.

He seems to like laying like an otter to get attention. He's not tempermental at all, he even lets the little kids next door carry him around even though they're about the same size.

RP 024.jpg

Cats are evil, bossy, relentless little creatures who will test your patience to the Nth degree and then some.

And I couldn't love em' more for it.

This is Melody Anne Britt.
Melody.jpg

She's no longer with us anymore but when she was alive, she accomplished so much - like knocking over the knife holder on top of her brother cat's head, dissaembling a dryer vent hose and getting outside and pulling off the tablecloth onto the floor and successfully getting the afore mentioned brother cat in trouble for it.

She was also very sociable and not afraid of a thing. Not even hurricanes. Or rocket launches.

Thanks for your post guys, I really appreciate it :p Keep them coming :)

I went to the animal shelter in Manchester today and looked at the kittens they had in the lobby. SOOO cute, There was a 3 month old brown tabby right in the lobby in a cage with two black cats and a grey cat. I poked a finger in the cage to pet the tabby and she immediately jumped up and started being affectionate to my hands. Immediately the two black cats joined in the action :). They all were like "Buy me! Buy me! Buy me!" :)

Unfortunately they weren't adopting cats at that building today cause one of the cats in the building got sick and they need to make sure none of the other cats got sick, however they said they have other cats at Pet Co on Saturday (including the one I had a link to). So Saturday my best friend Sean and I are going shopping and possibly I will get a kitty :)

Don't forget to check my yard sale :)

When you really need someone to check to see if your fins are on straight

Lila&Triskelion.JPG

Unfortunately they weren't adopting cats at that building today cause one of the cats in the building got sick and they need to make sure none of the other cats got sick, however they said they have other cats at Pet Co on Saturday (including the one I had a link to). So Saturday my best friend Sean and I are going shopping and possibly I will get a kitty :)

You're going to pass up a CMASS launch on a predicted good weather day to shop for a cat? It must be luv. :marshmallow:

You're going to pass up a CMASS launch on a predicted good weather day to shop for a cat? It must be luv. :marshmallow:

There's that, buts it mostly I have been working Saturdays pretty much non-stop since the last April launch. This sat i get off at 10:30 (unless they ask me to stay till 12:30) so in theory I could go to the launch, but they only have the cats at Petco on Saturdays 1-4pm :p Unless I have to work, I will be at the July launch.

Today I adopted my new friend :) Her name is Nala, she is about three years old (she looks younger in the pics). Right now she is content on snoozing under my bed :)

13467_437219135188_644005188_6221550_4019120_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back