The "I bet I could make a rocket out of that!" thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, there is no, "no metal" rule. At least in Tripoli, I do not belong to NAR so would have to look there. Tripoli states, more or less, that it is the builders sole discretion on how much metal to use to make it safe and air worthy.
So here you go, the flying Grain bin. Several flights on a AT J800T. Chute cannon out the side, flies soley on base drag.

Attachments

• grain bin 2 004.JPG
    grain bin 2 004.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 28
Actually, there is no, "no metal" rule.

NAR MODEL ROCKET SAFETY CODE
  1. Materials. I will use only lightweight, non-metal parts for the nose, body, and fins of my rocket.

TRIPOLI Metal In Rocket Construction Statement
  • The set of metals that shall meet the “ductile metal” constraint is limited to: - Aluminum alloys - Copper Alloy
  • There are two parts of NFPA 1127 (HPR Safety Code) that mentions metal in rockets; 1-3 Definitions, High Power Rocket, (e), and 2-6 Rocket Airframe Materials.

Last edited:
Oh, again sorry Lake. I did not see it as a link. After actually clicking on it, it sure is. Sucks getting old and can't see. I have noticed over the years that my RC planes keep getting bigger and bigger, as my rockets now are.

You flew Prinz? How well did she fly?View attachment 449700

You should do Haruna next.:cool: Seriously, after the amount of work that goes into a ship model, I would NEVER have the guts to try that.

Andrew
I never was successful do to ignition issues on two attempts. I tried to use Chinese ematches and they had a tendency to pop and not ignite.

Jet Pack Barbie has always been in that back of my mind. A two or four cluster jet pack, motors split between front and back. Haruka would be a good subject. Or even a Girl und Panzer subject model. Battleship Yamato? Anime and model rocketry are quite a mix, just like the high school girls and tankery!

Actually, there is no, "no metal" rule. At least in Tripoli, I do not belong to NAR so would have to look there. Tripoli states, more or less, that it is the builders sole discretion on how much metal to use to make it safe and air worthy.
So here you go, the flying Grain bin. Several flights on a AT J800T. Chute cannon out the side, flies soley on base drag.
RAISIN' CAIN and RAISIN' GRAIN!!!
Do you have any launch videos???

NAR MODEL ROCKET SAFETY CODE
  1. Materials. I will use only lightweight, non-metal parts for the nose, body, and fins of my rocket.
TRIPOLI Metal In Rocket Construction Statement
  • The set of metals that shall meet the “ductile metal” constraint is limited to: - Aluminum alloys - Copper Alloy
  • There are two parts of NFPA 1127 (HPR Safety Code) that mentions metal in rockets; 1-3 Definitions, High Power Rocket, (e), and 2-6 Rocket Airframe Materials.
My statement was meant tongue in cheek.
But I expect that my loosely crumpled aluminum foil nosecone would have been less hazardous than the then standard balsa with screw eye. It would have had a "crumple-zone" effect if it had caught up to my rather nimble brother.
But we always get some good discussions going here. :)

My statement was meant tongue in cheek.
But I expect that my loosely crumpled aluminum foil nosecone would have been less hazardous than the then standard balsa with screw eye. It would have had a "crumple-zone" effect if it had caught up to my rather nimble brother.
But we always get some good discussions going here. :)

To clear up a misunderstanding, I'm fine with the aluminum foil. I was just clarifying @David Schwantz 's comment. I'd venture to guess that nearly every high power rocket violates the Tripoli code too. I bet you'll find steel fasteners in them.

As long as you're meeting the intent, most reasonable folks will agree that it's ok. But that's another reason why I don't like "club" events or signing on to being a member of a club. Hence my "Custom Title" under my avatar.. I'm a "Give me liberty or give me death" kind of American.

Last edited:
I work at a dairy processing plant. A few years back we came out with a new 14 oz bottle. First look at them and I thought, these could make a cool looking rocket. Haven't flown it yet, but it "flies" on Open Rocket, waiting for warmer/drier weather to give it a try.

Attachments

• 20200416_184207.jpg
    20200416_184207.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200425_074631 - Copy.jpg
    20200425_074631 - Copy.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200502_065844.jpg
    20200502_065844.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 49
Back