3D Printing 8” Diameter PETG Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTex

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn’t a repeat question - I’ve looked through the threads and didn’t find what I’m considering. I’ve seen 4” diameter rockets fully printed in Nylon but what about larger ones like 8” diameter out of PETG? I’ve been kicking this can down the road a bit and figure it’s worth a try. This rocket would be heavy and I have a N motor sitting around doing nothing. An OR model says that a design I’m considering wouldn’t exceed M0.7 with all the excess filament in the design. I’m not after performance, looks, etc - just novelty. I’ll test out how to reinforce the design for such a motor and if the tubing I print could handle a large ejection charge prior to committing to the whole rocket. I’d appreciate anyone sharing their experience with building such rockets.

Hopefully this isn’t a repeat question - I’ve looked through the threads and didn’t find what I’m considering. I’ve seen 4” diameter rockets fully printed in Nylon but what about larger ones like 8” diameter out of PETG? I’ve been kicking this can down the road a bit and figure it’s worth a try. This rocket would be heavy and I have a N motor sitting around doing nothing. An OR model says that a design I’m considering wouldn’t exceed M0.7 with all the excess filament in the design. I’m not after performance, looks, etc - just novelty. I’ll test out how to reinforce the design for such a motor and if the tubing I print could handle a large ejection charge prior to committing to the whole rocket. I’d appreciate anyone sharing their experience with building such rockets.
Depending on the thrust, you might not need to reinforce it.

I have never built for an N, but I have built for a K and L and have no issues.

I did see one that was printed - rainbow colors and short and stubby - supposedly all 3D. No idea how thick the walls were, how thick the fins, etc. are. Think Inverted Pursuit Labs was doing his l3 with some reinforced 3d printed tubing, and he has a 3d printed rocket that has run on a J.

Back