The "I bet I could make a rocket out of that!" thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the years I have enjoyed building rockets from odd matrials. This shuttle is made from 2 ballon sticks, 2 lingerie hangers, ball point pen spring, old shelf dividers, old plastic hubcap signs and some old paper signs (card stock). I have flown this shuttle many times since 1987 when the Endevour was built. I work in retail and we throw a lot of matrials away. The ET and SRBs are from different tubes I found and the SRB nose cones are from 4th of July sky rockets found on the 5th

Attachments

• IMG_2781[1].JPG
    IMG_2781[1].JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2783[1].JPG
    IMG_2783[1].JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 29
that would make a great rocket.

Well, maybe a scaled version. I doubt "that" could be made to fly.....
The article in the link states it weighs 680 metric tons and is 74 meters long.
It probably violates the no metal requirements and will take a ton of C5-3 motors to launch....

🤪 🤣 :p

Well, maybe a scaled version. I doubt "that" could be made to fly.....
The article in the link states it weighs 680 metric tons and is 74 meters long.
It probably violates the no metal requirements and will take a ton of C5-3 motors to launch....

🤪 🤣 :p

With enough thrust, anything can be made to fly. But of course I was speaking of a scale model... smaller scale that is.

The completed Space X Starship is expected to weigh 5000 metric tons and would carry a 100-150 metric ton payload.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Starship
That tether car post made me remember I once had a tether "concorde". It had a battery powered prop in the back and flew in circles when hung from a ceiling. Possible with a rocket but probably dangerous.

Then I got thinking: what if I took the wheel off a Ferris wheel and tethered a rocket to fly up and around a horizontal axis like a Ferris wheel...

Then, I got back to work. Later!

People here may appreciate this --

I have been slowly working on finishing a container of powdered ice tea so that I could use the canister for a couple of ring tails on some rockets... slowly over a few months (I don't drink that much ice tea) I have watched the level get lower till it was almost gone...

1631803419149.png

Then I go to the cabinet to find the ice tea and it is a full canister again. Turns out my wife dumped the last scoop or so into the new container and threw away the almost empty canister...

Now every time I drink iced tea I am a bit depressed over how much farther I need to go to get a ring tail... I may just dump this whole canister in a Tupperware container!!!

I have been slowly working on finishing a container of powdered ice tea so that I could use the canister for a couple of ring tails on some rockets... slowly over a few months (I don't drink that much ice tea) I have watched the level get lower till it was almost gone...

View attachment 481962

Then I go to the cabinet to find the ice tea and it is a full canister again. Turns out my wife dumped the last scoop or so into the new container and threw away the almost empty canister...

Now every time I drink iced tea I am a bit depressed over how much farther I need to go to get a ring tail... I may just dump this whole canister in a Tupperware container!!!
I had 6 different Pringles cannisters, was waiting on finishing the 7th, so I could make a Pringles tube rocket with 7 different varieties (I also hate to paint!)

I failed to share my intentions with my wife, and when I finished the 7th can (I don't each chips a lot, I find I am watching my weight and it keeps getting easier to see!), she had discarded the other cans.

I have been slowly working on finishing a container of powdered ice tea so that I could use the canister for a couple of ring tails on some rockets...View attachment 481962
(EDIT: Fixed brainographical error.)

If you cut that up for rings, then I demand you use up another one. That can is required to be made into a fin can for a cluster, a quad motor, 418×70 mm cluster. That flies on four C engines.
I may just dump this whole canister in a Tupperware container!!!
That sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
I failed to share my intentions with my wife

Great story... Apparently I also failed to tell her my plans (although she did recently ask me if I wanted a bread-crumb canister for my rocketry and I said yes so I think she should have known -- Anyway, I did not know I was getting the bread-crumb container so I guess it is a wash for ring fin material)...

That can is required to be made into a fin can for a cluster, a quad motor, 4×70 mm cluster. That flies on four C engines.

Haha - That sounds too expensive to launch... 3x D engines which is around $10-11 is the highest I am willing to go right now for a launch and then only very rarely!

View attachment 481962

In this instance... Tupperware is your time machine. :computer:

Last edited:
Back