The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Single screw switch for Raven Only

View attachment 623906
So what is this 'black magic' that you are using to restrain your LiPo cells? I love a clean install, and from the perspective of securing the cells, that is the cleanest I've seen yet!!!

Are you using 3M Dual Lock or similar affixed to the sled and the back of the cells?

So what is this 'black magic' that you are using to restrain your LiPo cells? I love a clean install, and from the perspective of securing the cells, that is the cleanest I've seen yet!!!

Are you using 3M Dual Lock or similar affixed to the sled and the back of the cells?
If you zoom in. The FG might be hot glued to the rod behind. Maybe the batteries are also hot glued????? Until they're not. Maybe im wrong?

If you zoom in. The FG might be hot glued to the rod behind. Maybe the batteries are also hot glued????? Until they're not. Maybe im wrong?
Double-sided Gorilla tape for batteries. GFlex epoxy for FG to all thread. Then they get a couple wraps of Kapton tape prior to flight (not shown). Been using this method for a number of years and have had no issues with anything coming loose.

Spring loaded RunCam Split 3 Lite lens switched by an Eggtimer mini WiFi switch, a Blue Raven and Easy Mini switched by two screw switches, charges ran direct through a well nut, and shock cord attached with an Additive Aerospace U-bolt. Designed with Fusion360 and printed with Prusa Mk3 out of PETG.

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3939.mov
    11.8 MB
  • IMG_3934.mov
    15.2 MB
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Spring loaded RunCam Split 3 Lite lens switched by an Eggtimer mini WiFi switch, a Blue Raven and Easy Mini switched by two screw switches, charges ran direct through a well nut, and shock cord attached with an Additive Aerospace U-bolt. Designed with Fusion360 and printed with Prusa Mk3 out of PETG.
How do you prevent the camera lens from getting scratched as you slide it into place/ remove it?

Brilliant idea! It won't make it into the avbay I'm working on now, but this gives me some great ideas for the future.

Am I correct in assuming the antenna is on the top/up end of the bay?

I'm not sure it really matters, but I've always put my 9V batteries on the sled with the terminals down. I figure the thrust pushed all the internals down toward the terminals that way. I think I would be even more likely to do that with the new Duracell 9V since they are now stacked cells instead of the old welded tab 6 AAAA cells.

Either way, it's a cool sled and flight proven. 👍

Am I correct in assuming the antenna is on the top/up end of the bay?

I'm not sure it really matters, but I've always put my 9V batteries on the sled with the terminals down. I figure the thrust pushed all the internals down toward the terminals that way. I think I would be even more likely to do that with the new Duracell 9V since they are now stacked cells instead of the old welded tab 6 AAAA cells.

Either way, it's a cool sled and flight proven. 👍
Thanks! The antenna actually pointed down, filled the small space bet the av bay and the top of the motor. Head end deploy with a drogueless descent then chute released by cable cutters.
Battery was actually epoxied to the mount for extra security. Video report from the project is coming soon

Thanks! The antenna actually pointed down, filled the small space bet the av bay and the top of the motor. Head end deploy with a drogueless descent then chute released by cable cutters.
Battery was actually epoxied to the mount for extra security. Video report from the project is coming soon
I hadn't thought of that. Good Idea!

Maybe I'll hot glue my batteries to the sled. Not sure I'll use epoxy. The hot glue should make changing the battery easier but still give more security.

I personally use Velcro hook and loop tapes between the batteries and sled. A cable tie or two keep the battery from peeling the tape, and the tape takes all the shear forces. Very easy to change batteries.
That's exactly what I've done with my avbays so far. Currently working on an avbay that will instead simply restrain the battery on all sides, also allowing a quick change.

3d printed sleds that I purchase. Works amazingly well

Attachments

• 20231024_202047.jpg
    20231024_202047.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_202054.jpg
    20231024_202054.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_191550.jpg
    20231024_191550.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Well, how about a rather simple av-bay? This one will go in a 4.3" JayHawk inspired rocket. It is sporting 2 Ravens in their Power Perches from Featherweight Altimeters. Also shown is a 12gm Peregrine CO2 ejection system along with a bulkhead mounted TD-2 tether and release device both from Tinder Rocketry. In the 3rd picture I have attached an aluminum "gas conduit" to route the CO2 gasses around where the 3 mains will be located. (Why 3 mains? Because I think it looks cool!)

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 0
Using the mini wifi switch for the split is an excellent idea! I need to incorporate. I have a mini switch laying around. Trying to find the button on split controller board while on the pad is a royal pain.

Pics are of my first AV bay. It is for a 4" diameter rocket:

AV Bay 1.jpg

AV Bay 2.jpg

AV Bay 3.jpg

This uses a Featherweight Blue Raven altimeter with a Powerperch. That is turned on and off with a magnet, so it doesn't have a traditional switch.

The altimeter is mounted to an Additive Aerospace sled on 1/4-20 threaded rods. The batteries currently shipped by Featherweight are longer than the old ones, so I had to drill a new hole for the battery holder part. the new hole is close to the edge of the sled, but there is enough material there to hold it ok.

The charge wells are 3 gram size from Dog House Rocketry. Because there are 4 chanels on the Blue Raven, I have two charge wells for the drogue on one end and two more for the main chute at the other.

AV Bay 4.jpg

There are two 2-56 shear pins holding the AV Bay to the booster (because it was a little loose). The payload tube attaches to the bay with three removable machine screws for the Apogee Vindicoat aluminum fastener inserts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back