The $3.13 mini Honest John deal is on at Walmart.com

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Screenshot 2021-12-15 9.29.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-15 9.29.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-15 9.29.52 PM.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 6
Its gone again...

A thread in Facebook motivated me to make an 18mm version to try to launch on a C6-7. I have not made a kit in a very long time but worked on these kits tonight. I forgot how much I hate Balsa fins. Decided to upgrade to 1.5mm thin-ply. Also made fins 25% larger and slotted them to fit through tube against motor mount (for the heck of it).

I will do the other kit (I bought 2x) with the original mini engine (at least I can recover that one).

I guess I should have bought a couple more -- maybe do one for D-engines... hahah... (I modeled in OR, it is possible just 45g or 50g of nose weight for an E12-8 in the model). Not much room for a parachute in that case.

I don’t think so. Walmart did this exact same thing a year ago or so. At $3.13, the challenge is the shipping. That will set you back about $5.99 unless you order maybe twelve of them. And who needs twelve? You could order other stuff to get the total order cost to trigger free shipping, but 1) what the heck other stuff do you really need from Walmart, and 2) whatever you order will likely be tossed into the same shipping box and crush the rockets.

The $13.94 is from an outside vendor, though it does include free shipping.

I don’t think so. Walmart did this exact same thing a year ago or so. At $3.13, the challenge is the shipping. That will set you back about $5.99 unless you order maybe twelve of them. And who needs twelve? You could order other stuff to get the total order cost to trigger free shipping, but 1) what the heck other stuff do you really need from Walmart, and 2) whatever you order will likely be tossed into the same shipping box and crush the rockets.

The $13.94 is from an outside vendor, though it does include free shipping.

There is always something to buy from Walmart... ;)

For example:
Shock Chords: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dritz-1-4-White-Braided-Elastic-Value-Pack-16-Yd/306777509
Thicker Shock Chords: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dritz-1-2-Braided-Elastic-4-5-Yd/163955515
Nose Cone Weights: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bullet-W...ortment-Fishing-Weights/16889068?athbdg=L1100
Glues, adhesives, etc...

I don’t think so. Walmart did this exact same thing a year ago or so. At $3.13, the challenge is the shipping. That will set you back about $5.99 unless you order maybe twelve of them.
Max quantity was 3 last time I checked.
And who needs twelve? You could order other stuff to get the total order cost to trigger free shipping, but 1) what the heck other stuff do you really need from Walmart,
More rockets? Walmart's web site fronts a number of decent hobby shops, and you can order stuff from them to get to the "free shipping" threshold when ordering your $3 HJ kits. When I ordered my three HJ kits, I added an Estes Interceptor from LiquidRC for $29.63. That's only a few dollars below MSRP, but with free shipping it's not a bad deal.

There are quite a few other rocket kits on the site too, but don't assume they're all at decent price points. Some are, some aren't.

Showing out of stock again.
I have one built stock a few years ago.
I might buy a couple when it comes back in stock.
Modify one to 18 mm mount and one to 24mm minimum dia.
Add nose ballast to return to stock CG and let er rip.
If you lose it you're only out $3.

Last edited:
I was so tempted to try to get one of these kits for the price and they always were sold out. Then I realized that I have a Thrustline KJ-K 1919 parts pack I won in club raffle years ago! So I have cut 1/8 ply fins, sanded them into a taper and cut fin slots for TTW mount to the motor tube. It had a nice balsa cone and it is a work in progress. I will use either micro or mini rail buttons on standoffs to guide it during launch.

The $3.13 WalMart price died at the end of January. Maverickrocketry’s post reactivated the thread. At the moment all of WalMart’s listings for the HoJo are 3rd party affiliates with ridiculous prices and their own shipping rates. And unfortunately my post will probably perpetuate this resurrection like a zombie that won’t die.

Latest posts

Back