That one hobby you always wanted..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RC ship combat.
I saw a group who make naval warships that have turrets that shoot BB's and they try to sink each others ship.
It looked like a lot of fun.

To answer that question, I have to reflect on what I have already done.
Was there something along the way I missed doing?
Is something I once participated in that I would like to return to?
I spent most of my youth on a bicycle. I have a mountain bike in storage that needs refurbished.
One I bought new about 25 years ago, has been passed to my oldest son, nephew, and back to me.
I would like to have restored so I have means to exercise and short trips to the store.
I played guitar as well, was fair at it doing some leads. But my finger joints wouldn't let me pursue that anymore.
I was an Auto Body Tech and Custom Painter for almost 20 years. No place to do that any more, and I sold my tools.
And I have absolutely no interest in doing that kind of work, even if I was physically able.
I also did some engine rebuilds and hop ups, and built a race truck. But I'm just not into that anymore either.
Working construction in the field for over 15 years I seen a good portion of the state and some interesting sights.
But I have never been one to want to travel unless there was a specific purpose.
Though in my youth we did as a family often go on weekend trips for pleasure, and family vacations around the country.
In my early teens I had a 8x12 HO layout, drivers license and my own vehicle and I lost interest.
If I had space and money, I think I would pursue this until the end of my time.
I have even purchased a track planning software to try and design a N scale layout I could fit into this tiny apartment.
Before the train, I was really enjoyed building static models. Cars, Semi's, sailing ships and war ships.
I have come to realize that the upkeep of static models from dust is much more work than building them.
But, there is a lot of static model building in model railroading. That is a HUGE part of model railroading.
I did leather crafting in shop class in junior high, and in the past few years I have returned to that.
I have invested heavily (for me) in tools for it and I see this as something I will do until the end of my time.
Of coarse, I've done model rockets since 1970.
But I am seriously considering selling most of my stuff this Spring & Summer.
I can't really afford engines to fly much, and with my back problems walking to retrieve rockets is a real problem.
So I think my model rocket days are pretty much over unless some kind miracle happens with my back.
When I had a home I did gardening and loved it. My Father always had a garden and Mother always canned.
I would love to have a small garden again, if it was just for fresh veggies on the table for a short time.
And for a couple years I did a lot of research in flowers and grasses. And had numerous beds around the house.
But I don't think I would return to it. I have just lost complete interest in this type of gardening.
I would first have to own a home and I am no longer able physically to be responsible for the duties of home ownership.
For that past decade or so I have been collecting knives.
Nothing of extreme value, but I have almost 300 new and old knives that I find appealing.
Some need restoration and I like doing that. I also like to customize knives, file work and polishing and such.
Than I make custom sheaths for them with my leather crafting. So I can see this going on until the end of my time.
And I do knife sharpening. I really enjoy putting razor sharp edges on things and watch people eyes light up when they realize how well a sharp knife really cuts. Or how well a sharp pair of scissors cuts.
So I see sharpening stuff something I will do to the end of my days.
Lately I've kind of had interested in trying Calligraphy Writing Styles.
But I'm not sure if there is a real need or purpose for it.
I am probably forgetting a few things I tried and just have forgotten.
Because it just wasn't as pleasing as I thought it would be.
But I think my true passion, something I took great pride in doing, and had the equipment and a building for is...
Fine Wood Working. If I had a building and money to equip it again, I would have another Woody's Workshop.
Even long before shop class in Junior and Senior High School, I was making stuff out of wood.

So to sum it up: The things I would like to do until the end of my days is Fine Wood Working, in my own shop.
And I would like to visit my Wife's home island of Saipan. A Pacific Island Paradise.
The things I will do until the end of my days are Leather Crafting, Knife Collecting, Knife Customizing and Knife Sharpening. And perhaps the occasion model rocket build.
I still have most of my hand Wood Working Tools, and that is something I CAN do in this tiny apartment.
And I do have plans to make a Machinist Type Tool Box for my Leather Crafting Tools, and some other small things.
So I guess in a small way, I need to include Fine Wood Working by hand tools (Besides a Circular Saw & Sander).
I have no interest in jumping out of plane or off a cliff or the Bungy thing. Or find out what's at the bottom of the sea.

How did I forget about Hunting and Fishing?
While I had to sell all my shooting devices after the fire, my fishing equipment still sit in storage.
Waiting to be revived the after I receive my new mechanical spine!

Last edited:
At some point I have to get the lenses of my eyes replaced. I am going to try hard to find a surgeon that will let me wait a week or two between taking the lens out and putting in a new one - so I can see the UV. Probably impossible, but it‘s so fascinating to think about seeing Brand new colors...

Don't count on it. I had cataracts at 54 for some reason. It's genetic in my family. Mom had them at 55, my brother had them at 50. We aren't diabetic either as they are at risk of cataracts. I was too far-sighted to be a candidate for the graduated implants that allow one to see at a distance and read without reading glasses. Those cost extra out of pocket as insurances only pay for single vision implants.
Surgery is a piece of cake. Optho took the patch off the next day and clear vision (at a distance) although I did sneak a peak after the operation just before they patched me and even there was a slight red haze (from blood) I was delighted I could see in focus.
Only thing is get a good pair of sun glasses as one is a bit more photophobic in the sun. When I tried contacts some years ago I was "really" photophobic. With implants I noticed it but it's a lot less than wearing contacts. I didn't wear them for long as I eyes would dry out quickly and they were intolerable after a few hours.
Went back to glasses until I could get implants.
I actually was looking forward to getting implants and as soon as I hit the 20/40 best correction with lenses, that made me a candidate. Optho thought me a bit odd as I was clapping, smiling and looking forward to the surgery. I told him about my past troubles and he understood. Lens implants were the only way I could go without glasses. I laid in a supply of bifocal safety goggles. Lower part has an "X" diopter reader and the upper part is clear. I have shields with 2, 2.5 and 3 diopter reading lenses depending how close I will be working with my rocket building.
They are out there and aren't that terribly expensive for eye safety in the shop.
Kurt Savegnago

I gave up motorcycles due to my back and other people on the road. I miss it, but doubt I'll get another.

I gave up racing early on, as I was always under funded and under talented

I gave up motorcycles for the same reason, once the back goes wonky . . .
I was just good enough as a rider, that I could fully understand just how outclassed I was by those guys who raced.

I've always wanted to build an ultralight and/or a kit car. But who has the time? I barely have time to build and fly a few rockets per year.

I keep saying that I'm saving video games for retirement. I bet that's all I'll have the energy for someday.

Honestly, I would just like to be able to go all-in on rockets, at least for a while. 3-4 builds and 2 or 3 launches per year is not enough to keep my itch properly scratched. Although I wonder if I went whole-hog-crazy building and flying for a couple of years if I would just burn out.

I'd love to get my keyboard studio setup revived someday, but that doesn't look likely; no place to put it and no time to spend on it. I have a controller and Logic Pro, but I just haven't bonded with it the way I used to with physical synths.

neil_w said "I wonder if I went whole-hog-crazy building and flying for a couple of years if I would just burn out". Those of us who have been in this hobby a significant number of years have all seen that happen. There's something about high power rocketry that inspires obsession with some people. They dive in hard and deep, to the detriment of other aspects of their lives. Then they burn out and leave the hobby. As the Mercury Seven astronauts said, the key is to "maintain an even strain". Know where the line between wholesome hobby and unhealthy obsession is, and don't step over it. It can certainly be done. I've been at it for about 25 years, and I know rocketeers who have fruitfully enjoyed this hobby even longer. Balance is key.
Bob Schultz

For many years I planned to learn to be a full-scale pilot (after many years of RC airplanes) but it became apparent that while maybe betting a basic pilot’s license was doable, actually using it wold cost more than I was willing to spend, and owning an airplane was out of the question when I couldn’t even keep up all my land-based vehicles properly (mainly an RV that in the end I had to pay a wrecking yard to take). So, I fly models from the ground, both rocket-powered and electric-powered propeller driven and am generally content with that.

I do need to put more effort into my music (I dabble in playing recorders, mostly) than I have been, even though I should have time as I’ve been retired now for over five years….

Yeah I gotta go with Model RR as well. For me its a total space issues (as in DONT have it) I know the area and RR I would like to due, and couldn't do it in N scale as the smallest the locomotives I would use are in HO (Brass unfortunately, and once not to bad, now insanely $$$) Of course a clustered N or O, isnt that much less! :p

Astronomy:
pw0CxaP.jpg

the local astronomy club has a warning on their website which says do not go out and buy a cheap telescope for under $100, as even when viewing the moon it is likely going to be a fuzzy picture because the optics are so bad. So they recommend that you go search the classifieds and find a telescope which sold for $1,000 that somebody is selling for $100, as they all end up in the closet unused.

the local astronomy club has a warning on their website which says do not go out and buy a cheap telescope for under $100, as even when viewing the moon it is likely going to be a fuzzy picture because the optics are so bad. So they recommend that you go search the classifieds and find a telescope which sold for $1,000 that somebody is selling for $100, as they all end up in the closet unused.
For just a few more shekels a roll off roof observatory is pretty cool!
RO1.jpgRO2.jpgRO3.jpgRO4.jpg

First I need to retire, which still sits a number of years away. Hopefully the economy will remain stable enough for subsequent generations to do so. Then, like some others, I would try more astronomy. I've only dabbled with high-powered binoculars so far, but I've managed to see 4 planets (Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) and many nice views of the moon. I'd like to see more with better equipment. Here are a few of my (very amateur) attempts at photography through binoculars with a mobile phone camera.

Moon2.jpgMoon01.pngWaxingCrescent.png
MoonAndBinos02j.jpg

Model trains: been there, done that, doing it. RC planes: been there, done that, doing it. Buying interesting cars for drag racing or everyday street driving: been there, done that still doing it. Even with kids I found the time to indulge. Everyone has the same 24 hours to budget their time with. What's in your timepiece?

Something I just thought of. Visiting places where older movies and 80's music videos had been shot such as Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Safety Dance, and whatnot.

Now that I live on a lake I’m going to give electric RC boats a tumble. Can’t fish every day . . . well maybe I could. 😂

Back