TCC October Skies Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jraice

Reaction score
Well I just finished the clear coating of the freedom won project, it looks awsome. I plan on flying a 5" nike smoke on some 38/600 loads, a 54mm rocket on a I69 on saturday, then first flight sunday is the freedom won on our first L (L730) airstarting twin J400SS's. That afternoon I will probably fly some more loads in the nike smoke. What you guys flying? Who will be there? Cant wait for EX day, went to my first last october, missed it last May, it really is fun and relaxing with less flights. Plus friday and saturday night wouldnt be fun without lighting off CATOed EX and commercial grains! See you all around 1 on friday!

Jordan, we'll be there but not until very late Friday evening or early Saturday. I'll keep an eye out for your Nike.

Sorry can't make it down to TCC. My dad doesn't want to drive the 3 hours down there from Sacramento.

Saturday was cloudy and windy and a lot cooler than it had been recently. Even had some light rain. Still, there were a number of great flights. Darth D2 flew again. The up part was great, but it looked like it would become a lawn dart. The chute finally came out, and the wind carried it back to the launch area. Then the chute dragged back to the pad it was launched from. Sunday had better weather, but still some wind. Freedom Won flew great, but I did not get any pictures of it in flight. Many other great flights. Photos posted when I have time.

Jim

Great launch, flew my nike smoke many times on I motors and even one time saturday on a J275. Also flew a couple of H's in a smaller rocket and then it lawn darted saturday night. Freedom won lifted amazingly straight on the L730 and then 4.3 seconds into the flight a pair of J400's pushed it to 4800'. Drogue ejected but my dad and I are still debating on whether it opened or not. Then at 1100' the main chute came out and the D-bag opened instantly, the main inflated and I had a large relief of stress, but then the fincan (or some other body part) came and hit it hard, it deflated and wasnt even tangled, but sort of acted like a streamer (close to opening) and it hit hard out in the field but the good new's is it hit the botton first, instead of hitting sideways. Well after checking it out it had very little cosmetic damage and the only real damage that we can see is a slight crease in the alt bay coupler but it looks fine, and a broken terminal strip. We plan to fly again in may. (timer and alt were beeping and have no damage at all). My cousin Ryan (9 years old) flew his art applewhite thing twice on EM F20's but then he tried a G34 and the thrust came out sideways and totaled it. He also flew a duece on some B's and then tried some D21's in it, well one fin came off and then it flew sideways and smashed into the ground. Both of us had our bad launches but the weekend was great. Some nice flights... richard kings M2400T got M, who's your daddy on an M1600R and 4 smokey sam J380's (awsome effect) and Jack, your patriot on the three L730's and the white thunder M (all lit on the ground this time, to windy for the airstarts) was awsome. Anybody get any pictures of any of my rockets? Hoping Gary got a lift off picture of Freedom Won... also I picked up some QT and a coupler to fix the lawn darted rocket, and I also picked up a pair of 48" 2.5" tubes, I was going to just build a small H powered bird but I had a B-day check that showed up in the mail so I may glass it and put a 38mm mount in it for some I's, probably pro38 motors, well thanks for all your help at the launch guys!

Congrats Jordan...

Sounds like a good launch.. i've yet to do any air starts myself.. must have been a fun project..

Jordan, Freedom Won had a great up flight and it was a heartbreaker to see the main chute streaming like that. I am glad there was only cosmetic damage.

yesterday was as close to ideal flying as I have ever seen at TCC. we were tired so packed up and left around 2PM.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun, pretty stressful putting it on the pad. That was a small L and wasnt like a AT L but it sure was nice flying our first L, and when those J400's kicked in we thought we had the flight down (we have had several dual deploy fights, but it was our first airstart and my first high power cluster rocket so after those lit I wasnt super worried). I was pretty amazed when the LCO said we are holding the high power pads for a minute because a huge project is being carried out. Also, not sure whos pad it was but thanks, however owned that pad. The clubs high power pad was extremely wobbly and had a very short and flimsy rail. The privatly owned pad on the away cell had a large rail on it but there was a standard laying on the ground and it had 4 long legs with stakes so it was very secure. It was a lot of fun having the "big dogs" come up and check it out after the flight. How was EX day, only saw the last couple of flights. Also, why were there no people burning grains or any movies set up? Duane left a message on the TCC forum saying he would bring the projecter.

What did it look like to you guys? (what hit the main chute after it inflated). It was probably the fincan but it happened so fast I couldnt tell. Also, did the drogue appear to be inflated? Thanks

I was at a vendor buying some motors when the Freedom Won flight was announced, so I could not get my camera ready in time. I saw the up part, which was great, but not the down part. Here are a few photos (don't want to upstage the newsletter).

Cliff Sojourner holds Andy Warner's pyramide rocket. A crowd favorite, it was launched just sitting on the ground. This time it went up during the National Anthem.

cliff.jpg

Here is Jordon's Nike Smoke going up on Saturday.

nssat.jpg

And again early on Sunday.

nssun.jpg

Jim

Hey, you guys made the news all the way down here in San Diego! I was just reading today's paper (San Diego Union-Tribune) and on page A4 there's a photo of a guy carrying a Nike-Smoke! The caption reads:

"ROCKET MAN - Terry Swift carried his high-powered K-type motor rocket to the launchpad during the Tripoli Central California model rocket club's October Skies launch event in Fresno County. The event drew model rocket enthusiasts from throughout California to the vast dirt field on the Maddox Dairy in Helm."

Pretty cool to see the press treat a high power launch as a regular news event and not a freak show full of weirdos playing with dangerous materials.

Thanks guys, those photos are my nike on a J275W and then on an I357T. Got some pictures of the freedom won flight. Cant get them to fit but there is one while it is on the rail and a close up of the flame probably around 2 seconds into the flight. No pictures of the J400SS's kicking in but I am happy with what I got. Overall this launch was great, flew my first AT 54mm motor (have flown a couple CTI 54mm's) my first blue thunder, and the freedom won rocket had a lot of firsts for use, first L, first cluster and airstart and first deployment bag equiped rocket.

As I said before, I picked up 2 48" 2.5" tubes and I have an AT NC that I am going to foam fill for strength. My original plan was to make a rocket to fly on 3 grain pro38 motors with motor ejection (simple standard rocket). The tubes are not super strong so I also planned on one layer of aerosleeves glass being used to reinforce them. I also bought I coupler but it needs to be replaced with a sturdier phenolic one. Any more things I could add to make this a little less basic? I have a rocksim file for one with sleek fins, my dad was saying putting canards on would be cool. Any cool rocket designs or ideas that I could make out of these two tubes and the cone? Thanks

Back