Suggestions please...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohica

Reaction score
I am looking for any input you might like to offer but specifically fin material and thickness...

Please excuse my less than steller drawing...

Well, that won't go very high on one D or E motor. Have you considered either 29mm or a cluster?

As for fins, for that I would go with 1/8" balsa, or possibly 1/16" G10 (stronger, but a bit of a pain to work with). 1/16" lite ply would work too.

You can always try Sturdy Board. You can find it in most office supply stores. It's that quarter inch foam board stuff that usually costs around 5 bucks for a big sheet.

www.sturdyboard.com

I use it in alot of my rockets.

Let me narrow it down a bit...My choices on hand are...

1/8 and 1/4 balsa,

and...

Several differant thicnesses of basswood.

Lighhtweight ply would be easy to come by....

I'd go with 1/8 ply, or 3/16 bass. This project will probably weigh between 14-16 ounces when finished, which is a bit much for balsa. Balsa can easily handle the ride up, but I don't think it'll fair too good at landing. Don't fly it on a windy day, it's going to be over stable, and will weather cock pretty good. If this is what you plan to use the E15's in, you are probably looking at around 750-850 feet.

I coulda sworn I saw some sources for 36" BTs, cut down on the coupling needed... I'll look around.

Originally posted by JBeau
I coulda sworn I saw some sources for 36" BTs, cut down on the coupling needed... I'll look around.

That would be great...Thanks.:)

Also be aware of the ejection charge pressurization, thats alot of area to pressurize, it bit me a couple of times with a BT-80, I use stuffer tubes to minimize the area.

Originally posted by Delta-IV
Also be aware of the ejection charge pressurization, thats alot of area to pressurize, it bit me a couple of times with a BT-80, I use stuffer tubes to minimize the area.

Sorry it was'nt in the drawing...I will definately be using a stuffer tube.

Originally posted by JBeau

BMS as well as BRS hobbies both sell 34" tubes, if that helps you.

Back