Sub Minimum Diameter L-2050 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was one flight that had high altitude coning above 100K ft (a Jim Jarvis flight), and even on that flight from on-board flight data RASAero II was very accurately predicting velocity and altitude until the coning started.

Charles E. (Chuck) Rogers
Rogers Aeroscience

The match between the simulation and the flight data for that flight was really good. All I did to fit the data was to adjust to the actual flight timing. On high altitude flights, a good simulation is essentialy, and there's no question where I go to get that.

JimSimulation 3.jpg

After a bit of thought, how do you guys feel about 0.125 G10 fins, and beefy fillets (0.4-0.5 radius) with 3M DP460NS and possibly tip to tip CF with a thin layer of ablative? (I'm thinking about the Raytheon approach, Powdered cork and silicon epoxy)
It's not about what anyone "feels".
You need to analyze the forces involved in your flight regime and determine what size components you need based on some level of engineering/physics/materials principles.
From there you can back that up with what others have done in similar flight regimes.

Last edited:
Back