StratoLoggerCF in stock, at the moment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They just work. After installing the software and plugging in the cable, select the comm port and you're good to go. Plug in cable to altimeter and power up the altimeter in any order and it will bring up a window for downloading. No fiddling with the software or following a finicky procedure to connect. Price is good also.

Can someone tell me what is so great about these other than nostalgia?
I've flown the MAWD, HIALT45, SL100, and the SLCF, to Art's point, they just work, and having the dedicated switch terminal is helpful. Like others, I gave up on these years ago due to availability.

Mine came in today from my order last week. Seems like they're coming in stock a lot more reliably lately. The well documented ability of it to "just work" is why I opted to pick one up and will use it for redundancy purposes. My main duties will be performed by some of the more tech forward products on the market, but it'll be nice to know that old reliable will be on backup duties.

Mine came in today from my order last week. Seems like they're coming in stock a lot more reliably lately. The well documented ability of it to "just work" is why I opted to pick one up and will use it for redundancy purposes. My main duties will be performed by some of the more tech forward products on the market, but it'll be nice to know that old reliable will be on backup duties.
Twice in three weeks in not a lot more reliable. That might only 4-8 altimeters.

They just work. After installing the software and plugging in the cable, select the comm port and you're good to go. Plug in cable to altimeter and power up the altimeter in any order and it will bring up a window for downloading. No fiddling with the software or following a finicky procedure to connect. Price is good also.
I do wish they would update the software so that it works better with Windows 11 And the newest MacOS.

We don't need no stinkin' software. Take it out of the package, attach it to the battery, add your main and drogue wires for charges, and a switch if you want one, or a shunt for the switch position, and fly it. Your drogue will come out at apogee, and your main will come out at 700 ft. EVERY TIME.
Yes, you can adjust everything with the programming button or attach the computer and download data and adjust settings, if you want to.
My first dual deploy rocket used a Stratologger SL-100 on March 9, 2012, it's still in "Duke Nukem", my L1 rocket. I can add a battery and fly it tomorrow, and it will work, just like all of our other dual deploy rockets. Since that date, all my dual deploy rockets use Stratologgers. Between Sharon and myself, we have over twenty high power dual deploy rockets, each has a Stratologger for primary and most have a Missleworks RRC-3 for backup. I like RRC-3's for the data they collect, but they sometimes have problems that require sending them back to get fixed. Never happens with Stratologgers.

I won't be data mining all my logs, but after twelve years of active flying, I have never had a problem with any of the dozens of Stratologgers I fly, for hundreds, or possibly over a thousand flights. They just work.

Just picked up a couple more SLCF's for future projects. You can buy a lot of different altimeters, but you can't buy a more reliable altimeter.

We don't need no stinkin' software. Take it out of the package, attach it to the battery, add your main and drogue wires for charges, and a switch if you want one, or a shunt for the switch position, and fly it. Your drogue will come out at apogee, and your main will come out at 700 ft. EVERY TIME.
Yes, you can adjust everything with the programming button or attach the computer and download data and adjust settings, if you want to.
My first dual deploy rocket used a Stratologger SL-100 on March 9, 2012, it's still in "Duke Nukem", my L1 rocket. I can add a battery and fly it tomorrow, and it will work, just like all of our other dual deploy rockets. Since that date, all my dual deploy rockets use Stratologgers. Between Sharon and myself, we have over twenty high power dual deploy rockets, each has a Stratologger for primary and most have a Missleworks RRC-3 for backup. I like RRC-3's for the data they collect, but they sometimes have problems that require sending them back to get fixed. Never happens with Stratologgers.

I won't be data mining all my logs, but after twelve years of active flying, I have never had a problem with any of the dozens of Stratologgers I fly, for hundreds, or possibly over a thousand flights. They just work.

Just picked up a couple more SLCF's for future projects. You can buy a lot of different altimeters, but you can't buy a more reliable altimeter.
I do like to download flight curves when flights have unexpected results. The altimeter sometimes out performs the rocket Or motor.

If you can get the software to work. It is not up to date with modern operating systems. Windows 11 is hit and miss and forget the new MacOs.

I would never use Win 11 so far. I keep win 7 and 10 right now; Win 11 is the reason for the hit or miss, you have to Figger' out all kinds of work arounds over it's control of USB com ports even with Ham Radio software.

I would never use Win 11 so far. I keep win 7 and 10 right now; Win 11 is the reason for the hit or miss, you have to Figger' out all kinds of work arounds over it's control of USB com ports even with Ham Radio software.
Unfortunately, Win 11 is what you get on a new computer and I prefer a Mac anyway. I may just switch to Ravens.

While I agree, Good luck with that. Every windows upgrade I've received was not desired.

Just when you get everything working right........

The problem comes if you do not upgrade, major software packages stops working.
That's pretty much true for everything in the software industry, they typically support the current plus one major version down. In the case of Windows, it's a 10 year cycle; Windows 10 will go off support in 2025. Most large companies have already migrated to Windows 11. There will be a big push in 2024 to update from Windows 10 to Windows 11 among medium-sized companies... small companies and individuals generally leave the OS alone until one of their key software packages won't run on it anymore.

That's pretty much true for everything in the software industry, they typically support the current plus one major version down. In the case of Windows, it's a 10 year cycle; Windows 10 will go off support in 2025. Most large companies have already migrated to Windows 11. There will be a big push in 2024 to update from Windows 10 to Windows 11 among medium-sized companies... small companies and individuals generally leave the OS alone until one of their key software packages won't run on it anymore.
We MUST upgrade for our protection and security. (at least according to every call center I've been in touch with).

I generally only major update when there is no alternative.

We MUST upgrade for our protection and security. (at least according to every call center I've been in touch with).

I generally only major update when there is no alternative.

Historically, Security Patches have continued to be published long after "Support" has ended. We will see about Windows 10.

I do wish they would update the software so that it works better with Windows 11 And the newest MacOS.
I didn't have any trouble with Win 11. Downloaded it fresh from the site. Know nothing about Mac OS.
Unfortunately, Win 11 is what you get on a new computer and I prefer a Mac anyway. I may just switch to Ravens.
I got a new laptop with Win 11 on it. Win 11 sucks! Last good one was Win 7.
However,Ravens are not the answer. The only 2 times I had failures that I can absolutely, positively know were not due to something I did were Ravens. Both were beeping correctly on the pad and the one that I was able to solder wires to never detected liftoff. The other was so busted even the microprocessor chip was broken in half. One was a version 1 (23 flights) and the other was a version 2 (4 flights). I will not fly a Raven without a backup barometric altimeter. I do like the data they provide. Haven't tried the Raven software with any thing later than Win 7.

I got my two new SLCF's last week and inventoried my Stratologger stock. Found two SLCF's that needed the connector replaced for the external speaker. Contacted Peter via email at PerfectFlite Tech Support <[email protected]> He replied a couple of days later, asked me to send them to him with $10 to cover return shipping. Also said he would include a couple of external speakers, which have been out of stock for a while too.

I'm operating the Perfectflite software on two Win 11 computers, never had a problem with it. If you have an issue, or want to make a suggestion regarding upgrades, I suggest you contact Peter using the link above.

Latest posts

Back