Steve Clapp, Longtime President of CRASH, has passed ad astra.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After a long battle with cancer, Steve Clapp has passed away. Longtime President of CRASH and NAR parachute duration record holder, Steve was the RSO who I referred to as Der Pad Fuhrer. He made it to the most recent CRASH launch last Saturday and we all had pizza at his house afterwards. He was a good friend and never compromised when it came to model rocketry. From the beginning I always asked if my oddroc builds were a good idea and his answer was always no, it became a running joke but he was serious. He RSO'd them all (except one) and he once said the Blackburn Triplane had over a 93% percent chance of success on the first flight! I just about fell over. Many great stories to remember after 14 years of flying at the club. He will be missed and I will have to now keep myself on the straight and narrow model rocket path. Der Pad Fuhrer ist tot. Que Siegfried's Funeral March.

After a long battle with cancer, Steve Clapp has passed away. Longtime President of CRASH and NAR parachute duration record holder, Steve was the RSO who I referred to as Der Pad Fuhrer. He made it to the most recent CRASH launch last Saturday and we all had pizza at his house afterwards. He was a good friend and never compromised when it came to model rocketry. From the beginning I always asked if my oddroc builds were a good idea and his answer was always no, it became a running joke but he was serious. He RSO'd them all (except one) and he once said the Blackburn Triplane had over a 93% percent chance of success on the first flight! I just about fell over. Many great stories to remember after 14 years of flying at the club. He will be missed and I will have to now keep myself on the straight and narrow model rocket path. Der Pad Fuhrer ist tot. Que Siegfried's Funeral March.
Thanks for the post Daddy. Steve had been sick for at least a couple of years. I was lucky enough to run into him at a couple of launches after he got sick. I had lost touch after we moved. Bad on me, I should have tried harder and made contact again while he was still with us. I was thinking about him a couple of days ago, I will definitely miss him. By all rights, he should have outlived me. RIP Steve, I'll remember you, man.

Jim

Back