Mark Koelsch has passed away

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just got this email from Kevin Harnack, he does not have an account here and I am reposting with his permission. Rest in peace Mark.
-Carl

So very sorry to do this by email, I hate being the bearer of bad news, especially this news... I just got off the phone with Mark's sister-in-law Cari. Mark had a heart attack yesterday and died. I really don't what to say, I'm still processing it myself but the family had asked that I pass the news. I don't know much other than it happened at home, his wife and son where there.

Mark has been a friend of mine for 20 years, we both started flying about the same time, our TRA numbers are just a few hundred apart. No small feat back in he mid-90s when everyone was joining up. When I stopped flying for a few years, he always dropped a line to stay in touch every few months. He kinda kept the pressing the issue that 'I needed to start flying again' and is responsible for getting me back.

I will be at the funeral Tuesday, so maybe I will see some of you there. Let me know if you need help finding the place.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of people in the rush to type this so, if you know someone Mark was close with could you please pass along the word. Thanks.

K-

https://www.hartsonfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Mark-Russell-Koelsch?obId=3450373#/obituaryInfo

Mark Russell Koelsch Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information
www.hartsonfuneralhome.com
May 7, 1968 - November 6, 2018 Age 50. Found peace Nov. 6, 2018. Longtime employee at the Medical College of Wisconsin "Department of Surgery". Memorial gathering at Hartson Funeral Home on Tuesday, Nov. 13th from 4-6 PM. Service 6 PM. More information to follow. Check back.

Very sad news.. I was just chatting with him a few weeks ago about going to MWP. My thoughts go out to his family...

Sad to hear, Mark was dedicated to serving our hobby, he will be missed and many of us never had the chance to meet him.

Oh my! I only had a couple of email exchanges with him (with respect to the recent certification of Q-Jet motors and related data). He was helpful to a fault.

This is quite a shock.

Gosh, that's sad. I spoke with him only once, but he seemed like a kind and bright guy. A great member of the community, for sure - it seems like he was in every thread with good advice or commentary.

Nothing but good things to say about my interactions with him.

Praying for him, his family, and friends.

Godspeed Mark

Only 50 years old, way to early. I spent a few moments this morning downloading from his rocketryfiles.com site useful information that he made available to all of us.

Mark will be missed.

He Was very helpful to me personally on more than one occasion, a very nice guy. Reminds you how uncertain life can be when things like this occur. Unfortunately the older we get the more often it seems to happen. Rip Mark and condolences to his family.

So very shocked and saddened to hear this. I never met Mark in person, but nevertheless as complete strangers to one another thousands of miles away I benefited from his generosity and knowledge of this hobby/obsession we all share through his posts and, just recently, a couple of private messages we exchanged.
Ad Astra, Mark Koelsch.

Very sad - I didn’t know him personally only on hear back and forth and really appreciated his help and guidance. Was really hoping to meet him at a launch someday.
Pray for your family

I've known Mark for many years since we were both mods at RP. We have not always agreed on things but I always respected his views and he mine. We had just made pans to meet at MWP next year and I was quite looking forward to sitting down with him for some good talks. He will be sorely missed.

Mark was definitely one of the “good guys” he will be missed by many of us.

Oh my,, I can't believe it,, at 50 years,,
Mark's helped me so much, any way he could..
I'm just in shock..
My prayers are with you and yours...

Teddy

Tragic news for his family and friends primarily, and also to those of us who've had the fortune of benefiting from his dedication and thoroughness archiving our hobby resources.

Condolences and best wishes for those closest to him
~Allen

Back