Started second build,Interceptor E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are pretty close but Don't overlap,i think the holes are too small though.I'm going to pick up some more plywood to tinker with tomorrow and try it with 1/4" holes.Thanks for the diagram!

What size are the small holes? You might be able to get away with 3/16".

The holes are 1/8",i would have gone bigger but That's the biggest lowes had for the dremel.I'm going to try to find the larger set tomorrow.

I'm still building my E, but I went the Aerotech route with stainless steel scrubbing mesh for a baffle and I put a carbon fiber arrow shaft for the shock cord attachment at the front of the motor tube and through the centering ring. Should be simple and bullet proof. I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

Change of plans,i just ordered a nomex chute protector.I'm still going to sink a plywood disc in to the bt to attatch a fishing leader to,then the shock cord to that.

The holes are 1/8",i would have gone bigger but That's the biggest lowes had for the dremel.I'm going to try to find the larger set tomorrow.

If you're using a Dremal as a drill, I don't think you can get bits larger than 1/8".

I'm still building my E, but I went the Aerotech route with stainless steel scrubbing mesh for a baffle and I put a carbon fiber arrow shaft for the shock cord attachment at the front of the motor tube and through the centering ring. Should be simple and bullet proof. I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

I'd like to see pics of the arrow shaft. I can't picture in my mind how that would work.

Here are some pics. I drilled through the coupler, centering ring, and motor tube and epoxied the arrow shaft in place. I plan on looping a Kevlar shock cord around it which should make it relatively easy to replace if necessary. I built the motor mount without the thrust ring or hook and once the shock cord is installed I'll feed the steel mesh in from the rear and the shaft will do double duty to keep the mesh in place. Motor retention will be via a 24mm Aeropack retainer.

image-701125091.jpg

image-789851992.jpg

Here are some pics. I drilled through the coupler, centering ring, and motor tube and epoxied the arrow shaft in place. I plan on looping a Kevlar shock cord around it which should make it relatively easy to replace if necessary. I built the motor mount without the thrust ring or hook and once the shock cord is installed I'll feed the steel mesh in from the rear and the shaft will do double duty to keep the mesh in place. Motor retention will be via a 24mm Aeropack retainer.

Why does the centering ring look so thick and white in your pictures? How thick is it and what material is it made of?

It's styrene plastic and it's probably about 1/32" thick or so. It looks thicker than it is because there is a molded lip that fits down in the motor tube. Do you have the current version of the kit? I believe the plastic rings are a feature on the current release only.

I recommend taking a single sheet of recovery wadding and pasting it to each side of your baffle.

Settled on a different design,a disc to hold the chute and Nomex chute protector from sliding down and to attach a leader too.I'm going to wait untill the chute protector arrives to install the disc so i know exactly where to put it to keep everything from sliding around in there.

I cut the swivel off one end of the leader,then passed it through a tiny hole i drilled in the middle of the disc.Then i slid a small round piece of steel through the loop of the leader and epoxied in place.Seems pretty strong.

recovery001.jpg

recovery002.jpg

recovery005.jpg

recovery006.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys.I think I'm going to do what i normally do though,just go for it and see what happens.Think i have a good idea in my head right now,suggestions welcome.

Ya know for someone that, from your first post, has only been in this hobby for a little over a month, I really have to commend your quickly acquired abilities.

Very impressive!:wink:

I guess there is something to be said for reading the instructions.

Thanks!..Just ordered another kit too :D The Dynastar Lexxjet,Pretty cool looking rocket IMO.

Got the baffle installed,it sits just about 1" above the stuffer tube.Hopefully it will diffuse some of the ejection charge before it hits the Nomex square and prolong It's life some.If not at least i Don't have to worry about a zipper.It was kinda a PITA to glue and epoxy in way down there.I was going to paint it in high temp header paint but forgot...Oh well.

baffleinstalled004.jpg

baffleinstalled003.jpg

Got the baffle installed,it sits just about 1" above the stuffer tube.Hopefully it will diffuse some of the ejection charge before it hits the Nomex square and prolong It's life some.If not at least i Don't have to worry about a zipper.It was kinda a PITA to glue and epoxy in way down there.I was going to paint it in high temp header paint but forgot...Oh well.

Looks good!

Back