Mercury Redstone 3" Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweger77

Reaction score
I nearly bought an Estes Redstone the other day. But after thinking it's underpowered and kind of small; I grabbed a 3" Uline tube from my pile in my classroom and started at it. Started out in AutoCAD drawing up a fin can. Base of the can and fins is 1/8" ply, I also used some 1/16" balsa to build up the fins to give them their characteristic stepped look.
IMG_20230518_084735330.jpgIMG_20230519_221644368.jpg
They still need some more sanding and shaping, but we're starting to get somewhere. Next I turned to the capsule and escape tower. I started modeling a complete set, but once I got the awful (and boring) task of adding panels, rivets, and other details I happened upon a fantastic model on Thingiverse that saves me the pain of drawing my own. I scaled it down from the 5.5" tube size it was designed for. It's really a fantastic model and hits on all of the highlights to give it a slightly beyond semi-scale look. I will have two towers which will be held in place with neo magnets; one featuring a TPU tower (for some flex and no breaking during flight) and a resin printed option for shelf queen time. It also gives me the option of no tower as well when I want to push it with larger motors. It should come in just north of a pound at about 42" tall and will typically go on a mid powered F.IMG_20230516_144321339~2.jpg
While it's not flying it will look fantastic just hanging out in my classroom. Need to decide how to tackle the tube spirals most efficiently and well and also if Ill order a decal set from Stickershock. I will probably just draw up the decals, and cut stencils from masking tape sheets on the laser cutter. My goodness, it's so nice to have one for making these. It's a joy to watch your ply fins being cut perfectly while you have a coffee!

We'll leave it there for now. Feel free to share your Redstone projects here; I'd love to see them! Next weekend is the target to "light this candle." Hopefully, I won't have to relieve myself in my suit before it's ready.

So simple, yet so awesome. Should be a neat build. Gotta have a separate chute for the nose cone so the capsule comes down by itself.

Gus tested... Gus approved.

View attachment 581511
I do like the idea of them being separate for sure. Just not so much on higher flights. Don't want to chase Gus too far down range! Unfortunately there's no perfect way to rig it because of the tower. Maybe I'll just do a bunch of the towers as disposable items that will fall away at apogee/ejection. Don't want to fly it without the damn tower; it looks too cool!

Fin can sealed, sanded and kevlar cord looped around mount tube. Cord is routed through a piece of PTFE Bowden tube. The tube will protect the cord from abrasion, protect from heat, and the curvature of it gets the exposed part of the cord lying along the inner wall of the body tube.
IMG_20230521_101839215.jpg

Now we're starting to get somewhere! Fin can glued in, fillets made with Titebond Thick (that stuff is made for making fillets), and quick coat of base satin white sprayed on. I wasn't terribly precious with filling and filler primer; but this thing is going to spend most of its time flying, not just being admired (mostly by me).
IMG_20230521_140134185.jpg

I'm not a fan of those Classic Enerjet motors either. The launch is almost as if the rocket is just fired from a gun, instead of powered by a motor.

I also enjoy lots of smoke and visible plasma, being that the MR flights were alcohol fueled, I think the lack of plasma and smoke makes your flight more realistic looking.

Great job on the build and flight. I have a SHR Mercury Redstone that is waiting to be built. (as long as the mice haven't done too much damage).

So how was the flight? Stable, recovered without any damage?
Flight was great. The F52 was a little too much initial kick for a 17 oz rocket. It fish tailed a bit at about 100ft. Both parachutes deployed, everything is in one piece and not even a scratch. Tower is still intact and good. Next time I'll go less thrust and more longevity. Looked cool as hell going up!

Had some interesting occurrences with my son's Hi Flier XL and cut some together. I also squeezed a take off shot of the Redstone as well, in all of its shot from a cannon glory!
Thumbnail_1685281360955~2.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo.

Looks like the E9 blew a piece of the nozzle out, just enough to still maintain some internal pressure, but ejected a big enough chunk that the enlarged orifice size reduced the thrust to be less than the weight of the rocket.

The D12 looks like a clean nozzle "dismount", so to say.

What were the date codes... and were these motors stored someplace where there were extreme temperature swings, or did the motors get dropped? Just curious.

Back