Star Trek Strange New Worlds Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed! :facepalm:. They try to make a "logical" reason for a musical. It was pretty darn corny!

šŸŽ¶ "Why are we singing"

Altho the idea of "Singing Kligons" is very funny. How 'bout singing Vulcans!? :eek:

The singing Klingons at the end were hilarious - they came to "destroy the source of their dishonor." šŸ˜†

I wanted to find a reason to dislike this episode like the Klingons obviously did, but I couldn't. Good show!

Agreed - I like it and I'm watching it for a 2nd time!

šŸŽ¶ "All systems stable...", "All systems stable...", "All systems stable...",

"But why are we singing?..." šŸ˜‚

They were even singing in the opening credits. Lotsa humming Star Trek too. "Bum, bum, bumm..."

For some reason, they have to tell the truth AND rhyme!

Throw in some dance moves, and POOF - a musical! Star Trek's first.

Edit: They all had good voices too. Some had limited lyrics (Pike), but that Christina Chong sounded amazing!

Just finished watching the first episode of "The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek" on Amazon.
It's an 11 episode documentary about the Trek franchise, from the original up to Enterprise.
So you think you know everything about Star Trek?
Think again.
Fascinating.
PS Narrated by Gates McFadden.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the first episode of The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek on Amazon.
It's an 11 episode documentary about the Trek franchise, from the original up to Enterprise.
Think again.
Fascinating.
PS Narrated by Gates McFadden.
Agreed

ust finished watching the first episode of "The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek" on Amazon.
Think again.
Based on the recommendation here, I have begun watching "The Center Seat". I've just finished Episode 5, I believe.
My review so far is.... meh.

Ok, I admit I'm probably not the target audience, as I've been a trekkie since the 1970's. This documentary is CLEARLY geared to those who came into Star Trek with TNG. I read Bjo Trimble's book "The Making of Star Trek" in the 1980's, so I am familiar with all the stories behind TOS. I was kind of annoyed that they kind of glossed over the 2nd Pilot, AND they made is sound like Deforrest Kelly joined the cast as of the second pilot, which he did not.

Anyone who's read Trimble's book and/or Issues of STARLOG magazine should be familiar with behind the scenes TOS stories, The Animated Series and The Motion Picture, which are the first three episodes of "The Center Seat". There was very little new material here except that I'd never seen those test shots for Phase II.

Also I'm familiar with the Eddie Murphy story, as I attended a con where Harlan Ellison tells it as he was brought in to write the script. He had an initial meeting with the producers at paramount who said "Listen, we make $10 million from Star Trek movies and we make $10 Million from Eddie Murphy movies, so, we want a Star Trek movie with Eddie Murphy in it and we'll make $20 Million."

At which point, Harlan claims he stood up and just walked out of the meeting.

Also I remember from my old days "in the industry" and I had heard that several NYC studios were working on SFX for Star Trek 5, because they wanted the FX in NY because Shatner was in LA and this way he couldn't screw up the FX as well. Peter Wallach, I guy I had worked for at one time was doing some shots for Star Trek 5. I had (briefly) worked with Wallach's studio on "Little Shop of Horrors" (the Remake with Steve Martin)... I painted all the cells for the title, with the dripping blood. Odd thing, is I have never gotten around to seeing the movie, keeping perfect my track record of never watching films or TV shows I worked on.

Now admittedly, I am less familiar with TNG and forward "behind-the-scenes material", so, there might be some surprises awaiting me but we will see as the internet provided enough rumour-mill fodder and my head is pretty good for Star Trek trivia. So, let's see if this series gets better. Despite my review, I consider it worth watching, because I enjoy all things Trek.

Liked the finale. Got to see adult Gorn. What I could not make out was Marie telling Pike what happened about the outbreak on her skin. I replayed audio over and over and still could not make out what she said.
Of course I have old ears. But it sounded like gibberish.
Spockā€™s rescue of Chappell was great. The cliffhanger was even better.

Liked the finale. Got to see adult Gorn. What I could not make out was Marie telling Pike what happened about the outbreak on her skin. I replayed audio over and over and still could not make out what she said.
She had Gorn eggs in her arm.
Like Hemmer.
She didn't want to jeopardize the rest of the survivors.
I hate interseasonal cliffhangers!
(PS You can turn on the captions if it helps).

She had Gorn eggs in her arm.
Yes, that's why the young Gorn didn't attack her.
She said something (mumbled) that they'd hatch in a day and half. And that's why she had to be put in stasis when they were able to beam back onto the Enterprise.

Does anybody else think that the writers sorta ripped off Alien?
That scene where she goes in front of Pike and stands face to face with the Gorn is exactly like the scene where hybrid Ripley is face to face with the Alien, and the Alien sniffs her and stands down. Only thing missing is the drool.
And the scene where a tail slithers down from above behind Spock?
Heh.
:D

Fan prediction:
The Gorn are not monsters, their species cycle is misinterpreted.
The frequency dampener is not a weapon that is a precursor to an invasion, but a means of protecting their young from cannibalizing each other.
The Demarcation Line is an attempt to say Stay Away, Danger.
The Enterprise will find a way to communicate with the Gorn and prevent war.

Oh yes definitely a rip on Alien. I thought that in Season 1. But as you say the tail behind Spock and the not attacking Marie. Definitely a rip off. The look she gave the child Gorn was very Sigourney. Hmm. Si-Gorn-ey. Oh my.

singing episode Segway:
at the LC* launch last year, we had some "Klingons" show up & do their thing (photo shoots, etc..) and they stayed for the after launch party. Someone mentioned we were also having karaoke.. Then one of the Klingons said Karaoke? Klingon Karaoke?!?! Yeah, I can do that..!"

The wife loved the singing episode..

* Launch Canada: Canada's version of Spaceport America

Musing.
This kind of throws the TOS canon off.
Because Pike and the Federation are already encountering the Gorn, and this is supposed to be a prequel to TOS.
In the TOS episode where Kirk battles the Gorn commander, he is apparently encountering the species for the first time.
:questions:

This kind of throws the TOS canon off.
Because Pike and the Federation are already encountering the Gorn, and this is supposed to be a prequel to TOS.
In the TOS episode where Kirk battles the Gorn commander, he is apparently encountering the species for the first time.
Yes, however, it can be argued that *everything* we're watching is a slightly altered timeline now, as Archer and others have messed about with time travel.

Might be worth turning on subtitles for that sort of thing.

Star Trek the musical was amusing but I hope they donā€™t ever do it again. The songs were well done and all but it was a dumb premise. And the singing Klingons? Mercy!

That scene where she goes in front of Pike and stands face to face with the Gorn is exactly like the scene where hybrid Ripley is face to face with the Alien, and the Alien sniffs her and stands down. Only thing missing is the drool.
Heh.

Sorta?
How does a cold-blooded creature survive the vacuum of space with only a helmet and minimal pressure suit (that doesn't cover its tail!)? And, no, it's not a personal force field or the sfx gang would've made that obvious.

Heh.
Totally. And everyone knows that they have a copy of Marie's makeup in the transporter system whatever and they can just beam her back together without the Gorn eggs. So fake... šŸ¤“

I really liked the musical episode. It sort of reminded me that some of the best TOS episodes were ones where the script was really kind of silly and the cast just leaned right into it. The hippie-spores planet is a great example.

I agree that the new-Gorn are way too ripped off of Alien. As my wife put it, they're not Star Trek aliens.

I agree that the new-Gorn are way too ripped off of Alien.
Well, when you're gonna steal... Steal from the best! The Gorn arrival on the planet was Independence Day. When they are diving onto the planet in the shuttle, Straight outta Aliens with the dropship, heck, even when they are detecting bogies on the planet surface while walking about, that's the motion detector sound that Hicks was using in Aliens. "3-meters man, they're right in the room with us!"

Just read that we will have to wait until 2025 for the next season of SNW.
*sigh*
Meanwhile the final season of Discovery will premiere soon (April 4).

Latest posts

Back