Star Trek Strange New Worlds Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this series. I watched last night's episode, and just wow. Great characters.

S2 E3.
I thought the plot line had a few holes.
But we learn more about La'an and her background.
Not the strongest episode, IMHO.

Last edited:
Dunno who's writing for Season 2 of SNWs, but why didn't CBS/Paramount find these people a whole lot sooner? Discovery and Picard were such a mess. Only S3 of Picard was tolerable. This is light years ahead of the others.

S3 E3.
I thought the plot line had a few holes.
But we learn more about La'an and her background.
Not the strongest episode, IMHO.
I especially thought that the tritium detector was fairly lame. IIRC those will light up for any radiation source.

In general, time travel episodes in Trek tend not to be strong. Trials and Tribble-ations is the exception that proves the rule.

S2 E4
"Among The Lotus Eaters"
Had to look up the term "lotus eater".
It refers to Greek mythology where Odysseus encounters a tribe which indulges in the practice. When some of Odysseus' men engaged in the practice they were overcome by forgetfulness of who they were and what their duties were.
Interesting episode with a bit of retconning.

Last edited:
Either way, I have enjoyed this season so far. Awkward moments, but very entertaining.

S2 E5
"Charades"
Ridiculous plotline but it had some humorous moments.
That they are using Spock as the comedy relief in this season is exceptional. TOS was always its most memorable when they were doing comedy. This epsiode is rating highly with the fan base. However, overall, this season has been pretty solid thus far. If Paramount had done this from the start, they'd be held in much higher regard. Unfortunately, the fan base had to suffer through 5 seasons of Discovery, and at least 2 seasons of Picard.

S2 E6
"Lost in Translation"
Was hoping to see Scarlet Johansson in this but no cigar.
Uhura is the central figure in this episode.
Surprising that even a Starship Captain can take that kind of action without approval from higher up.
Mildly entertaining.

S2 E7
"Those Old Scientists"
Ha. TOS. Get it?
Cross over episode with Lower Decks.
I haven't been following Lower Decks but I guess Jack Quaid voices Boimler so now he plays him in the live action scenes.
And Tawny Newsome plays Mariner.
Funny moments but the Temporal Prime Directive is shot.
Many times.
Very humorous nonetheless.
Now they need a cross over episode with "The Boys".
The Federation battles intergalactic Supes.

Just heard today that a "space musical" episode of SNW is set to drop in early August.
No comment for now.

Last edited:
S2 E7 -- I don't normally gush, but I found the episode to be very enjoyable. It was funny, profound and touching. Where they steal the shuttle could have been edited out though and changed nothing, so not sure why that scene is there... But nevertheless, it was GREAT to see Chris Prynoski's name in the credits to this show. Someone I actually know is working on Trek. Woot! I mean, Chris is doing Lower Decks, so technically he *is* involved in the Trek franchise and Lower Decks is very popular with the fans, but this is the first "real" Trek episode I've seen him involved with so it somehow feels different.

I saw Jerry O'Connell's name in the credits (Mr. Rebecca Romjin) but don't remember seeing him in the episode.
Anybody know what part he played?

I saw Jerry O'Connell's name in the credits (Mr. Rebecca Romjin) but don't remember seeing him in the episode.
I believe he's the voice actor for "Ransom", the 1st officer on the Cerritos. He's the one who calls Number One the hottest 1st officer in Starfleet EVER! and then fistbumps Boimler....

Here's the trailer for the musical episode coming up.
Titled "Subspace Rhapsody", it streams on Aug.3.

Not prejudging, so no comment until I've seen the whole episode.
Laters.

Umm, not sure I'm ready for a musical! :)

I really enjoyed the cross-over episode! I grinned the whole time. I kept saying "that's exactly how (the cartoon) Boimler would say it!" "That's exactly how she talks!"

I liked the reverse cross-over as well!

Reverse-Cross-Over.jpg

The crossover epsiode was good clean fun. Maybe we've gotten too used to Star Trek being "dark", and having a serious world-threatening plotline, but let's face it, the vast majority of TOS epsiodes were just light-hearted romps. "A Piece of the Action" comes to mind (with again, Spock doing the comedy "right"). "Those Old Scientists" (TOS) was hilarious, and was well done, especially when you consider the drek that had been previously coming from this Paramount Streaming service. As long as they continue to make episodes of this calibre, I'll be watching.

S2 E8
Under The Cloak of War
Holy crap.
This was intense.
Some shocking revelations here.
And I recognized a TOS veteran in a bit part here.
More from the voice than by appearance.
Laters.

Don't miss this weeks' The Ready Room.
Interviews with Babs Olusanmokun and Melissa Navia.
In particular the interview with Ms. Navia was deeply personal and moving.

The first time I saw this TOS veteran was in "The Corbomite Maneuver"! This person was very good in Enterprise's "Acquisition" episode too - very good actor!

Someone posted a meme of how great some actor was 'cause he'd been in a dozen SF movies and series... I worked up a pic of "our boy" with everything he'd done since '71

The latest episode was intense to be sure. But I am not sure what it really about. Why introduce a new Klingon to then be killed off. Half of Benga’s dialogue is hard to hear. Seemed like a disjointed episode.

The latest episode was intense to be sure. But I am not sure what it really about. Why introduce a new Klingon to then be killed off. Half of Benga’s dialogue is hard to hear. Seemed like a disjointed episode.
*SPOILER ALERTS*
It's a commentary about war and how it changes people.
M'Benga is clearly suffering from PTSD, and Nurse Chapel to a lesser degree.
Ortegas doesn't trust any Klingon because they're Klingon.
The Federation representative is a supposedly reformed former Klingon general known as the Butcher of J'Gal.
The real butcher of J'Gal is revealed in the episode.
And we learn a little more about the "superjuice".
Shocking.

each time they mention that “Protocol 12”, I think of Logan being force to take "Muscle" to fight Billy at Cathedral

Agreed! :facepalm:. They try to make a "logical" reason for a musical. It was pretty darn corny!

🎶 "Why are we singing"

Altho the idea of "Singing Kligons" is very funny. How 'bout singing Vulcans!? :eek:

Back