Star Trek Strange New Worlds Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure what 'retconning' is?

Anyway, the Gorn in TOS was 60's tech. Ok. Fair enough. (As were the Klingons. I did appreciate that they looked differant in NG & films. Otherwise they we Humans with differenty uniforms. ??? )

Anyway, the new Gorn should have at least been similar to the TOS Gorn. - Heck, even the bridge viewer at Spock's station are updated versions of TOS - Not an almost direct rip-off of ALIEN (One of my all time favourite films! BTW) Come on, the baby Gorn from the chest-burst....??? Tell me that that wasn't almost verbatim ALIEN? "Rigghht." (Catch that referance anyone? : :clapping: )

Forgetting the early 60's rubber suit, the new Gorn was not even behavourlly similar.

Anyway, looks like I should have watched Ep. 10 first, before I read this, but no matter!

A phenomenal episode 10 - they are truly back in form in the season finale.
And who did the voice of Scottie? I was wondering if it was James Doohan's son - it was uncredited.

I was thinking about TOS and a question came up in my mind.
So Starfleet vessels are powered by a warp drive using Dilithium as an energy source?
But I remember in early episodes of TOS that they mentioned the "matter/anti-matter drive".
So which is it? Or are they the same (please explain)?
Anyone want to take a crack at this?

I was thinking about TOS and a question came up in my mind.
So Starfleet vessels are powered by a warp drive using Dilithium as an energy source?
But I remember in early episodes of TOS that they mentioned the "matter/anti-matter drive".
So which is it? Or are they the same (please explain)?
Anyone want to take a crack at this?
In TOS it is inconsistent. Sometimes the crystals seem to be the power source, other times they are required to channel/catalyze the matter/antimatter reaction energy.

In TOS it is inconsistent. Sometimes the crystals seem to be the power source, other times they are required to channel/catalyze the matter/antimatter reaction energy.
This latter...that dilithium is key to managing the matter/anti-matter reaction....is my understanding. Probably (hopefully?) more consistent in TNG, DS9, Voyager but I will have to wait a bit to go digging into that.

This latter...that dilithium is key to managing the matter/anti-matter reaction....is my understanding. Probably (hopefully?) more consistent in TNG, DS9, Voyager but I will have to wait a bit to go digging into that.
The entry at Memory Alpha was surprisingly vague and more or less said the same thing as @Marc_G in a lot more words. From that, I take that the canon is very muddled.

not sure what 'retconning' is?
The application of RETroactive CONtinuity. Later writers closing loopholes, tying up plot threads and generally explaining (or changing the explanation of) a previous story. Tho origin of Venom in Marvel is a prime example. Rogue One - A Star Wars Story is a whole movie's worth of retcon.

So, I've been watching Season 3 of "Lower Decks". For those who do not know, it's an animated Trek series. It's more of a high-paced comedy, but is entertaining regardless. And it mostly focuses on ensigns who are almost never on the bridge. The basic idea is sort of along the lines of the TNG series episode "Lower Decks".

So, why am I mentioning this here, in the SNW thread? Because I just found out that two of the characters / voice actors from Lower Decks, will be on an episode of SNW next season. As "real" live action versions of their characters on Lower Decks. Beckett Mariner (played by Tawny Newsome), and Brad Boimler (played by Jack Quaid).

------------------------------------------
Star Trek: Lower Decks star Jack Quaid is clearing up some details about the series' crossover with Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Announced at San Diego Comic-Con, the crossover sees Ensigns Boimler and Mariner from the USS Cerritos coming aboard the USS Enterprise under Capt. Pike's command. While the episode of Strange New Worlds may feature some animation, Quaid and his co-star, Tawny Newsome, will be in full live-action while aboard the Enterprise. It will not be a situation where the live-action Enterprise crew is interacting with still animated characters from Star Trek: Lower Decks.

"So Tawny Newsome and I are playing live-action versions of Mariner and Boimler," Quaid tells Variety. "We're coming on to Strange New Worlds. We're coming aboard the Enterprise. I won't get into the plot details of how exactly that happens. But we got to be on the physical set. We got to actually be in the bridge and the transporter bay and the hallways. We got to go all over the ship and interact with that amazing cast. There are some animated elements to the episode, but it's not like a Roger Rabbit where, like, there's an animated Boimler following Pike down a hallway. It's not like that."
"
https://comicbook.com/startrek/news...arifies-strange-new-worlds-crossover-details/------------------------------------

In other news Carol Kane will be the new chief engineer of the Enterprise.

https://nerdist.com/article/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-season-two-carol-kane-engineer-enterprise/
And, here's a Season 2 clip:

So they're going to jump 120 or so years into the past? Or the other way around?

Exactly what I was thinking. As fun as this crossover sounds like it could be, there has to be some kind of wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey something going on.... :)

Added: I just looked at that story (George's link below the bit about the crossover) and see that the episode — whatever it is — is directed by Jonathan Frakes. That bodes well, whatever crazy time stuff has to happen to get there.

Last edited:
I'm a little late, but I finally finished season 1.

Overall very good, some week stories, but I would give it a 8-8.5 out of 10.

I'm re-watching SNW S1 E5 - "Spock Amok" (way cool ep!) and security chief La'an mentions "bingo" and it's played by the "lower decks"....

I know there's a cross-over episode coming...

Between ST SNW and ST Lower Decks...

And it's name is B-I-N-G-O... clap, clap... 😂

"Enterprise Bingo: (Don't get Caught!)" (will any of these gonna be in that cross-over ep?)

- use transporter to reflavor gum
- phaser stun club
- turbo lift two floor shout challenge
- set the universal translator to Andorian
- gravity boot hang challenge
- medical tricorder challenge Vulcan marupal (?)
- sneak a tribble into the transporter buffer
- sit in the Captain's chair
- EV suit challenge: unsanctioned space walk (and sign the hull)
- sign the scorch

Enterprise_BINGO.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why this thread got moved here. I don't consider talking about fictional TV shows to be "rocketry related."

Edit: thanks to Tim for moving it back to the main watering hole!

Last edited:
So That's where Spock gets his music interest! Carol Kane is a great actress in a great role - love it! She's gonna be a re-occurring role too! (I bet I know what position! hint: it's been 100 years! (Long story! haha!))

I recognize that Klingon captain from an earlier ST SNW episode!

Spock: "Sens-oars" !

Spock a "Fly boy" ?! LOL

Future Quadcorder

Future-iPad.jpg

S2 E2 - better get your basic gun powder formula memorized!

+1 on both your points.

The other thing my wife and I do after an episode, after watching the Ready Room, is go onto YouTube and watch the “Ups and Downs” from TrekCulture. Often there are more little tidbits there, including a rundown of callbacks and references in the episode being discussed.

+1 on both your points.

The other thing my wife and I do after an episode, after watching the Ready Room, is go onto YouTube and watch the “Ups and Downs” from TrekCulture. Often there are more little tidbits there, including a rundown of callbacks and references in the episode being discussed.
Thank you for this. Never knew it existed...

Back