SST Shuttle I

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another beauty.

Cockpit decal placement is odd, I wonder why they chose to put it there instead of on the nose.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! I wonder if I did that wrong! Years ago I built this...seems like it was from some old Century plans downloaded!

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! I wonder if I did that wrong! Years ago I built this...seems like it was from some old Century plans downloaded!
I actually went and looked up some pics, and so far all the ones I've found that show the cockpit (not many) have it in the same spot as you.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes its a pop off glider...It may predate the Orbital Transport by Estes!

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It may predate the Orbital Transport by Estes!
Well, the Orbital Transport is from 1969, so... :) I just checked and the instructions for the SST are from 1972.

They are both beautiful designs.

Scott_650

Reaction score
Well, the Orbital Transport is from 1969, so... :) I just checked and the instructions for the SST are from 1972.

They are both beautiful designs.
By 1972 Damon had owned both Estes and Centuri for several years - did the design and engineering staffs share information? Now that I have my Squirrel Works Dogfight finished the Semroc SST is next!

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There you go! The sst maybe could use more decaying? Lotsa white spaces!

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting I was going to say the cockpit decal looks really funny and belongs on the nose cone but the pictures almost never show the top of the booster it always shows the view of the bottom with the glider attached, I always thought this was a sexier model than the orbital transport.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that the parasite glider canopy is opposite the side of the mutha-ship. Of course, if you launch from space I guess up and down have no meaning, except that the enemy gate is always down.