Space Shuttle America - A Redux Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
@Ez2cDave posted a photo of the 1980's COX "Space Shuttle America" on this thread today.

1st time I have seen one of these... are you kidding me, a Red, White and Blue dual space shuttle post on the 4th of July. :clapping:

So I fired up Open Rocket and took a stab at making a model and simulation.

The main fuselage is BT-188 based, and the shuttles are BT-50H. Power is via 24mm motor.

The main fuselage will have scallops to cradle the shuttles and when the main fuselage nose cone slides out of the BT-188 the shuttles are released and glide / tumble recover.

Should be a fun build.

2023-07-04 Space Shuttle America Redux Open Rocket Simulation Photo Studio.jpg2023-07-04 Space Shuttle America Redux Open Rocket Simulation Photo Studio - Separation.jpg2023-07-04 Blue Shuttle Glide.jpg2023-07-04 Space Shuttle America Redux Open Rocket Simulation Side View.jpg

Last edited:
The fins are real wings! No lexan needed. The Spirt of America, taking me back to the new hope of the Bicentennial! Gotta have those Estes Shuttle kits, so cool! Coolest kid on the block if I can get one. Gas up the mower!

It’s a wonderful design, it has been done in some manner with MOC LunarPatrol, the Squirrel Works DogFight, and Edmonds Deltie AirShow, Twinsee, and The most like yours the Geminee

https://www.rocketreviews.com/edmonds-aerospace-geminee-thunder--by-hank-helmen.html
If you can come up with a design that locks the forward and rear ends of the glider fuselages but reliably releases them you will likely have a more reliable boost.

Gonna need at least three good spotters.

The above design is for a BT-188 main fuselage. For me and the manufacturing methods I use, big is better. I took a look at some upscales, a 3" and a 4".

I looked at a "Heavy Lift" 3" version...

2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles Heavy Lift - 3 Inch OR Sim - Finished View.jpg

And then a ramjet boosted version with the shuttle wing dihedral pitched down instead of up, which makes the profile a bit tighter of the assembled rocket. I'll admit I'm not a glider guy... but I'm envisioning the shuttles peeling off and flipping over. Last glider I flew was probably 1974, one of those dime store balsa deals.

2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Side View.jpg2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Finished Rear View.jpg2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Finished Front View.jpg2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Finished Top View.jpg2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Finished Side View.jpgFull Stack.jpgSeparation.jpg2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles - 3 Inch OR Sim - Plot.jpg

Last edited:
all are good.

suggestion. Your first design has two side pods (ramjets?) on each side. If you displace these on each side, one up, and one down, you can provide a relatively “flat” contact surface area for the glide wings. The more surface area, particularly LATERALLY, you can get between Glider and Booster, the steadier the gliders will ride on boost.

you can of course get the same effect from right and left sided vertical “pylons”, the mid portions affixed directly tangentially to the Booster.image.jpg

all are good.

suggestion. Your first design has two side pods (ramjets?) on each side. If you displace these on each side, one up, and one down, you can provide a relatively “flat” contact surface area for the glide wings. The more surface area, particularly LATERALLY, you can get between Glider and Booster, the steadier the gliders will ride on boost.

you can of course get the same effect from right and left sided vertical “pylons”, the mid portions affixed directly tangentially to the Booster.View attachment 590533
Thanks @BABAR

What I've model in Open Rocket is the main fuselage (BT-300) has scallops cut out of it, these scallops cradle the shuttle bodies. Nearly 180 degrees of each of the shuttle BT-55 body tubes sit in the cradle.

For shuttle retention during flight (similar to the COX Space Shuttle America):
Front: There are 1/4" dowel rods glued to sides of the BT-300 nose cone. These rods slide into holes in the nose cones of the shuttles.​
Rear: The rear bulkhead of the BT-300 has extensions that have centering rings that engages the BT-55 shuttle body tubes at the rear of the shuttles.​
At motor ejection the BT-300 nose cone comes of the fuselage, which pulls the dowels out of the nose of the shuttles, the shuttles then pivot off the rear rings and glide / tumble recover.​
The main fuselage recovery is via parachute.​

2023-07-05 SSA Redux Dual Shuttles -Side View.jpg

Separation 001.jpgSeparation 002.jpg

Last edited:
And then a ramjet boosted version with the shuttle wing dihedral pitched down instead of up, which makes the profile a bit tighter of the assembled rocket. I'll admit I'm not a glider guy... but I'm envisioning the shuttles peeling off and flipping over. Last glider I flew was probably 1974, one of those dime store balsa deals.
The gliders don't have Anhedral ( "downward dihedral" ) . . . They are, basically, a "flying-wing" design . . . I think that the use of Anhedral might make them glide upside down and, since they have a "turned-up elevator / elevon" they would go into an inverted dive.

1688595569244.png

Last edited:
The gliders don't have Anhedral ( "downward dihedral" ) . . . They are, basically, a "flying-wing" design . . . I think that the use if Anhedral might make them glide upside down and, since they have a "turned-up elevator" they would go into a dive.

View attachment 590542

Thanks @Ez2cDave ... I'm trying something different.

I'll build them, free flight test them, and make adjustment at that time.

As I stated earlier... I'll admit I'm not a glider guy... but I'm envisioning the shuttles peeling off and flipping over. Last glider I flew was probably 1974, one of those dime store balsa deals.

Last edited:
Fuselage Nose Cone Turning

I used a pine 4 x 4 to make the 3" nose cone. There was some tearing of the wood adjacent to some of the wood grain. CWF will make quick work of that.​
12.8 ounces raw weight.​

001.JPG003.JPG002.JPG

Last edited:
Ram Jet Nozzle Cutting, Tube Cutting and Centering Ring Cutting

Cut and sanded the Ram Jet Nozzles, Body and Coupler tubes and the Centering Rings.

001.JPG

002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
Upload was slow and I hit post reply... but was still slow... so I hit post reply again. When it finally loaded... double post. :facepalm:
Good to hear all the rocket building hasn’t made you start seeing things… ps I once had a dream where my rocket hit Daffy Duck.

Good to hear all the rocket building hasn’t made you start seeing things… ps I once had a dream where my rocket hit Daffy Duck.
I bet Daisy wasn’t a happy camper. And I doubt your NAR insurance would cover the bill.

gotta stop eating those brownies before bedtime.

I learned that motor mount wood glue fillets take a few days to actually dry. The glue is trapped in a closed space. Typically this isn't an issue since there are no loads on the mount until launch.

I built a display stand for this rocket and I used it to hold the rocket while the motor mount dried inside the rocket. The motor hook engages into the display stand. The motor mount actually slid up into the rocket and I didn't even notice it until a few days later.

Before (Note Location Of Motor Hook)

I actually injected the wood glue into the cavity with a syringe.​

After (Again, Note Location Of Motor Hook)

I had to cut the motor hook extension lip to actually install the 29mm motor. I'll likely bolt a metal plate across the bottom for motor retention.​

Last edited:
Injecting wood glue with a syringe is ... Bitchin'!

"Honey, why is my hairdryer turned on low, clamped and pointed at the hind end of your latest scratch build?" :)
I've used a small fan to blow air into a rocket body tube to aid in glue drying... and it was suggested by... my wife.​

This is a great project, but I think you will need 3 pairs of eyes to keep track of it. Maybe paint the gliders different colors so you don't get both people watching the same one.
---------
For the next version, you can get the ramjets working. But then you'll need an altitude waiver. ;-)

Back