SST Shuttle I

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Orbital Transport is from 1969, so... :) I just checked and the instructions for the SST are from 1972.

They are both beautiful designs.
By 1972 Damon had owned both Estes and Centuri for several years - did the design and engineering staffs share information? Now that I have my Squirrel Works Dogfight finished the Semroc SST is next!

That's interesting I was going to say the cockpit decal looks really funny and belongs on the nose cone but the pictures almost never show the top of the booster it always shows the view of the bottom with the glider attached, I always thought this was a sexier model than the orbital transport.

Interesting that the parasite glider canopy is opposite the side of the mutha-ship. Of course, if you launch from space I guess up and down have no meaning, except that the enemy gate is always down.

That's interesting I was going to say the cockpit decal looks really funny and belongs on the nose cone but the pictures almost never show the top of the booster it always shows the view of the bottom with the glider attached, I always thought this was a sexier model than the orbital transport.
This was influenced by the promised Boeing SST, clearly. The popular SST designs had a "droop snoot" requiring the cockpit windows to be back a bit. Boeing 2707 and XB70 will give you a feel for the look.

Back