SSI finished!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "stickers" were frustating....but I just go with what you get.:( The portholes are possibly different from the real one....some nice waterslides would really jump this model out!:eek:

Nice job on your SS1.

But by now, we expect that you will produce a showpiece.

I hope that it flys as good as it looks.

It balances at the CG of 5.1" from the end of the nozzle that you guys worked out....and IMMEDIATELY swings nose forward before one complete revolution in the test....may actually be OVERSTABILE!!!:rolleyes:

great job.!
thats where the 18mm reloads come in real handy

I flew my SS1 the other day and its performance leads me to wonder if some changes would make for better flights. I used a C5-3 because of the increased weight. The liftoff was very quick, but it went horizontal maybe 50-100' up and stayed that way all the way to ejection. Kinda cool, but if this is the norm, then all flights should be tagged as HEADS UP!!!:eek: I looked at my launch photo in my camera (don't have posted yet), and the ship seems to pivot under thrust before it clears the rod. I would think that I would go with a larger launch lug and the stiffer 3\16" rod if you add the required extra weight. Might make for straighter flights if the lug was attached to the belly of the fuselage. There seems to be a pivot moment due to the drag up the rod at the stock position. Anyone else have these kinds of flights....or is it just me!;)

I experienced the same thing. Kind of looks like a shuttle take off with the roll.I wonder if the bigger version will have the same issues. This could be a BIG problem. Perhaps your suggestion of moving the launch lug and changing the size along with a longer launch rod will correct this. Probably wouldn't hurt.

I wonder if it is just underpowered? Has anyone flown it on D motors (composites) with better results?

I have upgraded mine for a 24mm MMT but have yet to fly mine on a "D".

Sweet! I flew mine (undecaled) twice, once on a C6-3 and once on a B6-2. Both flights were perfect (I did add 0.5 ounce of additional noseweight, per the G.A.R.P.* concensus around here)

* Generally Accepted Rocketeering Principles

Originally posted by sandman
I have upgraded mine for a 24mm MMT but have yet to fly mine on a "D".

I was mainly thinking a composite 18mm D, but try it on an F :D

Latest posts

Back