SRS Hybrids

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the injector that faces the inside of the tank for easier post clean-up...very nice

This is kinda dark because my camera hates false light, but here are the sisters H, I and J...

Lastly, for Lalligood, is the set up I have for HyperTEK adaption:

remember the order, as they are in order in this shot:

1/4 AN male to NPT female --> 1/8" bushing --> 3/16" compression.

Remember that is what I got, as the supply house was out of the NPT male to 3/16" compression.

shockwaveriderz,

You might try the speed shops for the "Throttle in the Bottle..." I'm not sure, but I do not see why a small HotRod supply bottle would not fit your needs...of course you would have to plumb for HPR useage using the solinoid valves that say maybe Pratt Hobbies markets.

We are paying right at $3 a pound for NOS here in N. Alabama.

So question time for you rockets freaks...I have an old NCR SA-14 Archer that I beefed up with a 54mm mount, which I permanently glued a 38mm adapter into...The bird weighs 6.5 pounds dressed to kill, with an I161 in it. The SRS 38/400 Polypro I147 has a theoretical 5:1 thrust to weight ratio that says it can lift 6.6 pounds...thats borderline, would you go for it?

I know for sure that the J144 will not fit as the length of 35.9" is to long for my booster.

just a thought...and I have had a lot of those since this set arrived.

shockwaveriderz

Check here on ebay often. I managed to get a 20lb tank for $65.00. I have noticed a few smaller bottles. Keep an eye on the location in relation to you because shipping can get ugly, it is best if you find an auction with a fixed shipping charge.

It is my understanding that it requires a license to purchase medical grade nitrous. Much cheaper to go to a speed shop or industrial gas dealer to get the stuff with the nasty smell so you know if you have a leak, otherwise if you put your tank in the trunk on a 100 deg. day you might be real happy by the time you get to the launch site.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
So question time for you rockets freaks...I have an old NCR SA-14 Archer that I beefed up with a 54mm mount, which I permanently glued a 38mm adapter into...The bird weighs 6.5 pounds dressed to kill, with an I161 in it. The SRS 38/400 Polypro I147 has a theoretical 5:1 thrust to weight ratio that says it can lift 6.6 pounds...thats borderline, would you go for it?

I know for sure that the J144 will not fit as the length of 35.9" is to long for my booster.

just a thought...and I have had a lot of those since this set arrived.

I would definantly go for it, On the webpage Todd has a video of a 6 lb rocket going like 3000 feet with that motor, I flew one and it whipped my minnie magg, (~3lbs) off the rail, didnt get altitude though because I had my MAD in it

Ryan,

I will dust off that beast tonite and see if the "I" motor will fit, and see if I can ghet it ready for next months launch in Manchester, TN.

I got my Krytox today as well...it is bigger than I thought for 2oz. That tube should last me a while.

If I have a rocket that has an internal 29mm motor tube that runs the inside length of an outer larger body tube (say bt-80) and I want to use a hynrid then I have to:

1. drill a hole in both the inner and outer body tubes so I can see it vent?

2. perhaps glue in a small tube leading from the 29mm inner tube to the outer bt-80 tube?

It would be best to drill a hole so that you can insert a 1/8" nylon tube thru into the vent of the motor. This will allow the vent to escape to the outside of the rocket for visual confirmation that the motor is full and ready to fire.

Here in the Heart of Dixie, the venting process is sometimes hard to see, and we will need a "vent spotter" to get close enough to the rocket for a visual. This is why it is so important to make sure that the venting is directed directly to the outside.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
I wonder if industrial NOX is any cheaper than medical NOX? anybody know?

When I was pricing it last year the medical NOX was a little over $2 a pound. But only available to medical users. The denatured(?) NOX used by most was about $3.50 a pound. Figger that one out.

I'm set for NOX at the moment. Was able to snag a new tank and get it filled at LDRS. Now just have to finish the 29mm beast. If Todd has got the G released ; I'll have to get one. Saw the flight at LDRS 23 and decided I liked it. It'll go well with the Ratt Works H & I motors.

Al
BRS VP

The fuel grains have arrived...man these things are huge! These also came with updated o-rings.

Two weeks and counting for the first SRS launching for me. If I can get the parts in time to build the Black Diamond, I will be able to burn the J :D unfortunately I do not build as fast as I used too :(

Well, I got to fly my first SRS Hybrid today, and it rocked! I was taking comments like "Was that a Hybrid?? It didn't sound like a hybrid..."

People walked up to me after the flight and said "now who was that mfg again?" I put a lot of plugs in for ya Todd...:D

I burned the I119 PVC grain, and hit 2638' ft flying it in my stretched VBR 2.6" Javelin.

Pictured is the rocket sitting in my prep area, waiting for the HyperTEK to clear the pad so I can launch.

The name of the rocket is "Grey Ghost from Coast to Coast" Has a 54mm mount, so could take as much as the HyperTEK K240 :D

Here is the adapter that is tethered to the fill tube protruding from the nozzle.

We set my rocket up for a second flight on the I147 PolyPro grain, but discovered that the nitrous tank was empty :mad: I got the closest to the pad award because the rocket never left.

Here is the Javelin waitng for her turn on the LCO rotation...The HyperTEK ignition box would not light the supplied SRS igniter, so we pulled in a cable from the LCO control. The regular fill of course was done from the HyperTEK GSE.

Before you read any further, I will admit that I did not get launch pix...I am waiting for those to emailed to me from Lebanon, TN.

Until then, all I have are these terrible keychain digicam pix.

pictured is the rocket, pad, and HyperTEK GSE set-up.

...so the button was pushed, there was a little puff of smoke, then this little ball of fire kind of like the hyperTEK employing the GOX, and ZIP, the SRS hybrid "Ripped the Sky..." This is one neck snappin motor...

Still no launch pix, but here is the HyperTEK GSE NOX fill line attached to the fill adapter...less than $2 bucks tied up in that adapter.

Clean-up was a snap. When I pulled the bulkhead out, the nozzle and fuel grain fell out. I then pushed out the injector, and wiped everything clean with baby butt wipes. Thats it. (period)

Cool......... Will you fly your SRS Hybrid at O-burg? Freedom Launch? I hope to have my Expeditor repaired and fly it on a K240 (now that we have a 835 Tank)

nice man lets see those pics. Todds motors are great, like I said, they sound awesome. From the looks of it you got the same response from the crowd

Rocketmaniac,

I probably will not be attending any O'Burg launches this year, and we'll see what next year has in store, it would be great to spread these motors around...

Ryan,

I was the up close man watching for the venting, so the noise was merely loud for me at 50 to 75 feet away...but I swear I could see those mach diamonds for just a split second :cool: The sound is definetly unique, no farting sound here, these motors are sweet.

Thanks for the kind comments and plugs, Johhnie! I'm glad you got your new motor in the air. We ripped a lot of sky up here in Michigan as well. We got a couple of the 29mm G flights up, got a few J's, an H, and three or four I's. The 54mm demo had a problem with the fill line coming out of the motor during fill (Still looking for a compression sleeve I like), and after that was repaired a control glitch caused the preheater to burn before the motor was full of N20. We had to scratch the 54mm today, but we'll be back for another flight test next month.

Todd, I have a question for you. Will you system fly with any type of GSE? Meaning, a guy in our local club has a complete GSE setup and we fly HyperTEK hybrids with it. Could I buy your system and launch it with the existing GSE?

Rocketmainiac,

My HyperTEK adapters I have cost me about $4.97...this includes (2) complete adapters, and 20 spare furrels.

Todd,

I am most definetly looking forward to the release of the G motor, I have a VBR BoB just "chomping at the bit" to go bye bye on that one.

Todd,
Are the changes in the O rings to help fix that little problem that Kevin Trojanowski and I had back in June at Nebraska Heat with a J144?

In part, yes.
The change was really made to the nozzle before we shipped production hardware. The O-ring is actually the same size as the one used in your flight. The new nozzle geometry just sticks into the grian farther.

Thanks.

I do have a question regarding the nozzle, how do I get the nozzle insulator off? All though the second flight was scrubbed because our tank was dry, I was re-using the insulator that had become stuck on the nozzle from the first flight. It had no cracks or burns from the first flight, so I deemed it OK...but I would rather not re-use it, so how should I remove it without chipping the nozzle?

thanks

Okay, thanks Todd.
Luckily, the motor Caoted in a way it did basicly no damage to the rocket at all. And the damage it did do was so minor it still got best of show for 4-H in the county fair

Back