Spur of the moment launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Well, I got off work early yesterday, and after farting around the house for a bit my youngest asked to go to the park. As we were leaving I mentioned to him "let's fly some rockets," to he responded in an excited tone yeah! I even got his older brother to come along. My intent was to try and get those MMX motors to light, after all I've got like more than 50 of them. After failing to ignite, I just concentrated on the Estes stuff. We got a lot of flights in. Let's see:

Argosy
Meanie
Echo
SS1- 2 flights
Calypso
Mini Shuttle
Gyroc
Photon Disruptor
The Cluster Bomb kit (can't remeber the name)
Monarch (landed in the school bus yard)
Sky-Hi
Vindicator

Here's a shot of the Argosy right at ignition.

Here's a picture of "Boo" (that's his nick-name) putting the Echo on the rod. Sorry, it's a little blurry.

A note about this field, this is where my son goes to school, not a very wide field, but long. There were some kids and their parents there for soccer practice and not one of them even made a comment under their breath about us being there. The kids liked it every time one was launched. Any way I didn't get pictures of all of them, but I did get this one. This was the Calypso. Check it out.

Where's the rocket? I don't know how that happened. Next up my cloned Photon Disruptor. I love this kit. Here it is ready to go. Yes, that's the Micromax SaturnV in the background.

And here's ignition... This landed over the fence in the School bussing yard. I had to hop one fence, traverse across the outside of a bridge on a pipe only 2" wide, hop another fence and then do the same to come back. No way was I letting my baby stay there. I did have another one land there later, the Monarch, but I'll just go ask when they come back to work on Monday or Tuesday.

As it started to get dark, you see the flame all the way up, which made it easier to follow, and you could even see the ejection charge. They also turned on the lights at the field, which allowed us to stay a bit longer. Here's the SS1 ready to go, notice the lights on in the background. Kinda gives a new meaning to nite launches.

If you noticed in the list I had a Sky-Hi listed. Yes I attemted a 2-stage on that small field. I used a B6-0 to an A8-3. Let me tell you, it worked!! It was kinda of neat to power down and still get the fun and excitement of staging. Here it is on the pad.

The last flight was my cloned Vindicator. Here she is on the pad.

This proved to be a very interesting launch picture. Kinda like a double exposure. Check it out.

That's it. All in all, we had a great time. Only lost 1 rocket, and I can get it back. The boys had fun and we got some great pictures. I love this hobby. Enjoy. :D :D :D

Wow, what a great, long day of launches! There's some cool pics here - I like the Photon Disruptor launch pic - cool flames and smoke going everywhere!

The Photon Disruptor was my first rocket I tried to look like the package back in the '70's. Cool rocket.

I've lost a rocket launching towards dark (my 5 year olds, no less) and will not try that in the near future! You're brave!

Thanks for sharing,
Pat

The Disruptor launch pic had to be my favorite. Very cool all around. I wish I could just break away and launch a couple of model rockets. It's been so long. :(

i havent blasted of a rocket in atleast two months hoping to blast of my estes rubicon

good pics

Latest posts

Back