My Worst Day of Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott231

Reaction score
Got an invitation to bring my cub scout pack to a rocket launch at the local R/C airplane field and decided to bring a large selection of rockets (for me and the scouts)

These are the eight flights I prepped -

First flight, I help a scout prepare his rocket put it on the pad, he pushes the button and THE LAUNCH ROD stays attached to the rocket (ripped right out of the launch stand) and does several figure-8 maneuvers before landing in soft grass to fly again.

Second scout doesn't have a rocket so I let him fly my Xarconian Cruiser. Turns out the B6 motor doesn't put it high enough in the air and the parachute ejects about 10 feet above ground level and never inflates. Lawn Dart onto asphalt. Rocket is now spare parts.

Third rocket is my son's new D-Region Tomahawk. We notice a loose fin. My son says "don't worry dad, it might stay on, if not, we'll find it." Perfect flight and recovery...except it now only has 3 fins instead of 4. The fourth fin is later found.

Fourth rocket is a Super Neon XL that I let a scout launch with an Aerotech E207W. Awesome flight (first hybrid motor of the day) but the ejection charge shreds 4 of the six shroud lines and we have an above average speed descent. Surprisingly no damage as the rocket lands tail first into the grass. Chute did not melt at all but the lines just snapped and turned the chute into a streamer.

Fifth rocket is my new Argent on a G53, black smoke motor. Beautiful flight up to 1600 feet. Parachute comes out but immediately twists itself round and round so much so that the chute barely does anything. Upper body tube gets impaled on a corn stalk.

Sixth flight - I let a Wolf scout use a USAF Bullpup rocket. Wonderful flight and recovery.

Seventh flight - A two-stager. Takes me way too long to prep rocket but then I realize it has no parachute when I go to put wadding in. The Xarconian Cruiser rocket makes its first parts loan. Rocket lands out in the corn field and the kid is too afraid to walk through the corn field to retrieve it!

Eighth flight - My recently rebuilt Photon Disruptor gets a G76 Green motor. After an hour delay (due to the R/C planes flying) the rocket leaps off the pad to its highest flight ever. After a four-second delay the ejection charge goes off and we can see the nose cone dangling at the end of the shock cord...but no parachute! Lawn dart number two hits the grass hard and accordions the new body tube, shoves the motor mount assembly about four inches up into the body tube and 6 of the 9 nine fins get sheared off from the impact. An autopsy only showed that the Nomex blanket was not attached to the shock cord. I am not sure why that would matter but it was the only thing left inside the body tube other than the shock cord.:sad:

That's too bad about all those mishaps! Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter how well you build or prep - things just go awry. It sounds like the Scouts still got to see some good flights, though.

But look at all the valuable lessons learned and it was a good show for the kids! Rocket luck can run in streaks. Some days every thing goes right and some days you come home with a truck load of burning goo. Any day launching rockets is better than one at work in the office or home!

I built a D-region Tomahawk a few months ago. Took it out to launch it a few weeks ago. Launch lugs broke off on the pad. Took it down. Fin came off in my hand.

I thought I had a bad batch of model glue. But now I wonder if there is something wrong in the plastic with these things....

I built a D-region Tomahawk a few months ago. Took it out to launch it a few weeks ago. Launch lugs broke off on the pad. Took it down. Fin came off in my hand.

I thought I had a bad batch of model glue. But now I wonder if there is something wrong in the plastic with these things....

I could never keep the fins on mine either, until I used epoxy on them. If you do go with epoxy for yours, use a knife and make some gouges in the fins and BT so it has something to grab onto.

Thats the exact same thing that happened to me!
I used CA to attach the fin and LL afterwords, and after a couple other fins broke off. If any more snap I'm going with the epoxy.

Nate

Got an invitation to bring my cub scout pack to a rocket launch at the local R/C airplane field and decided to bring a large selection of rockets (for me and the scouts)

These are the eight flights I prepped -

First flight, I help a scout prepare his rocket put it on the pad, he pushes the button and THE LAUNCH ROD stays attached to the rocket (ripped right out of the launch stand) and does several figure-8 maneuvers before landing in soft grass to fly again.

Second scout doesn't have a rocket so I let him fly my Xarconian Cruiser. Turns out the B6 motor doesn't put it high enough in the air and the parachute ejects about 10 feet above ground level and never inflates. Lawn Dart onto asphalt. Rocket is now spare parts.

Third rocket is my son's new D-Region Tomahawk. We notice a loose fin. My son says "don't worry dad, it might stay on, if not, we'll find it." Perfect flight and recovery...except it now only has 3 fins instead of 4. The fourth fin is later found.

Fourth rocket is a Super Neon XL that I let a scout launch with an Aerotech E207W. Awesome flight (first hybrid motor of the day) but the ejection charge shreds 4 of the six shroud lines and we have an above average speed descent. Surprisingly no damage as the rocket lands tail first into the grass. Chute did not melt at all but the lines just snapped and turned the chute into a streamer.

Fifth rocket is my new Argent on a G53, black smoke motor. Beautiful flight up to 1600 feet. Parachute comes out but immediately twists itself round and round so much so that the chute barely does anything. Upper body tube gets impaled on a corn stalk.

Sixth flight - I let a Wolf scout use a USAF Bullpup rocket. Wonderful flight and recovery.

Seventh flight - A two-stager. Takes me way too long to prep rocket but then I realize it has no parachute when I go to put wadding in. The Xarconian Cruiser rocket makes its first parts loan. Rocket lands out in the corn field and the kid is too afraid to walk through the corn field to retrieve it!

Eighth flight - My recently rebuilt Photon Disruptor gets a G76 Green motor. After an hour delay (due to the R/C planes flying) the rocket leaps off the pad to its highest flight ever. After a four-second delay the ejection charge goes off and we can see the nose cone dangling at the end of the shock cord...but no parachute! Lawn dart number two hits the grass hard and accordions the new body tube, shoves the motor mount assembly about four inches up into the body tube and 6 of the 9 nine fins get sheared off from the impact. An autopsy only showed that the Nomex blanket was not attached to the shock cord. I am not sure why that would matter but it was the only thing left inside the body tube other than the shock cord.:sad:

You should probably read "your own descriptions" of the many bad flights and then do This:
Sometimes things happen, but most of the mishaps can be avoided by careful prep work.

You also want to learn from your mistakes so when you take Scouts out again they don't pick up bad habits. Rocketry as I'm sure you know can be very enjoyable but poor preparation can have bad and sometimes dangerous results.

That said, I admire and applaud you for spending your time with the Scouts.

Good luck on future launch days.

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're a fool in love
Sometimes you're the louisville slugger
Sometimes you're the ball
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're going to lose it all

Prep in the form of simulations might have saved a flight or two for you. This would let you know that a motor is two low of a thrust or impulse, or if the delay is too short or long.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I should let you fly a few of mine, I could do with losing a few to make some space :)

When I started we blew up and lost rockets at a frightening rate, the local rocket eating tree stays hungry always :)

Of late I have had a few failures in the recovery gear but we always get the rocket back intact which brings its own problems, lack of space to build the next generation :(

I should let you fly a few of mine, I could do with losing a few to make some space

Problem solved - my Rheintochter flew straight into a tree about half an hour after I made that last post :(

Today was pretty rough on our club launch. Incidents in no particular order...

Separated nosecone and lost altimeter; electronics failing to arm on the pad; mains deploy fail; charge-shotgunned av-bay; CATO.

Today was pretty rough on our club launch. Incidents in no particular order...

Separated nosecone and lost altimeter; electronics failing to arm on the pad; mains deploy fail; charge-shotgunned av-bay; CATO.

a bad day shooting rockets still beats a good day at the office.

My very first rocket did not come with glue, nor any recommendation other than "white glue". So I used a tube of "white glue" that was in our "Glue bucket bin". I wasn't sure what brand it was, nor what it came from, but proceeded to glue all four balsa fins on the tube and then switched to Elmer's white glue for the launch lug.

Every time that I launched the rocket, I lost a fin. Some cracked upon landing on a field of grass, and required re-gluing, and sometimes I would hesitate before launching again... sometimes not. I was sanding by hand, and barely shaped the leading edge of the fins too.

Finally got smart and switched to Elmers Yellow Carpenter's Glue and have never had a problem since. Sometimes it runs, so I've invested in a bottle of Tite-bond drip proof glue. And after a disastrous flight sheering fins off my PONG rocket at a club launch, bought a bottle of CA for $10 from the club vendor, and have occasionally used that as well.

I tried something new with my mini mosquito. I laid a bead of CA under the fin and held it in place with fingers as it attached to the thimble sized body tube. After each fin adhered, I painted it nicely and got ready to take pictures of it .... I was carrying it in the palm of my hand and it fell off, striking the wood floor and snapping a fin off! (I can't win!)

PS: On its very first flight, the mini mosquito was literally "lost in the sun". It was never found, despite being painted red, black and yellow...

Last edited:
So I redeemed myself and saw another failure over this past weekend. The Interrogator-G went up on a G64-7W (highest power, non-L1, reloadable I can buy) and landed safely, aside from a dowel snapping off a wing. On my son's old Amazon rocket, it too shredded some parachute lines with a (Estes-recommended) C6-5. This rocket, like my Super Neon, is 5+years old...only thing to learn I guess is that the cheap string used on the plastic chutes only lasts so long. 5 other successful launches and on the final launch we fired off a scout's 18mm payload rocket with a C6-5. Rocket goes up 10 feet above the rod, motor cuts out, rocket goes sideways and then the motor re-ignites - goes 1,000 feet parallel to the ground and hits a STOP sign. Talk about your 1 in a million... Anyway, here is a couple nice shots of the highlight of the day for the boys -

Interregator-1.jpg Interregator-2.jpg Interregator-3.jpg

Last edited:
So I redeemed myself and saw another failure over this past weekend. The Interrogator-G went up on a G64-7W (highest power, non-L1, reloadable I can buy) and landed safely, aside from a dowel snapping off a wing. On my son's old Amazon rocket, it too shredded some parachute lines with a (Estes-recommended) C6-5. This rocket, like my Super Neon, is 5+years old...only thing to learn I guess is that the cheap string used on the plastic chutes only lasts so long. 5 other successful launches and on the final launch we fired off a scout's 18mm payload rocket with a C6-5. Rocket goes up 10 feet above the rod, motor cuts out, rocket goes sideways and then the motor re-ignites - goes 1,000 feet parallel to the ground and hits a STOP sign. Talk about your 1 in a million... Anyway, here is a couple nice shots of the highlight of the day for the boys -

View attachment 175460 View attachment 175461 View attachment 175462

I would probably switch over to some thin mill chutes from Top Flight to replace the plastic ones. I've used plastuic and they aren't bad, but you have more of chance of chute with one or the ejection gases melting the chute. When you use a plastic chute you have to be more mind full of prepping as with any rocket you launch.

Better a stop sign than a person. Be careful!

View attachment 175460 View attachment 175461 View attachment 175462

Very,Very nice!! Both the looks and the flight. I love those G64's

But I don't see a problem with the chutes?! It is the shroud lines coming apart where I had them attached to a swivel. I'm thinking some waxed dental floss would be a better replacement. LP rockets are cheap - I spend more money on glues, sandpaper, and paint then I do on these little guys.

I usually put a single wrap of masking tape over the lines (mainly to hold them together while I thread the chute through the loop) at the point where they are attached to the rocket (via eyebolt, swivel, whatever) that might help keep them from shredding.

On my son's old Amazon rocket, it too shredded some parachute lines with a (Estes-recommended) C6-5. This rocket, like my Super Neon, is 5+years old...only thing to learn I guess is that the cheap string used on the plastic chutes only lasts so long.

Regarding the shroud lines -
If you still have the parachute and lines, try pulling and breaking the shroud lines with your hands.
There have been some kit chutes where the shroud lines will easily break.
Usually on kit chutes I replace the lines.
Years ago the major vendors used "Rug and Button Thread" for the lines. Who knows what they use now.

Plastic chutes are fine for the smaller LPR models. Sometimes the rip-stop nylon chutes won't fit well in smaller tubes.

Back